• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My ONLY negative OC experience in 10+ years...

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I dislike seeing dissension within our ranks.
+1
I suppose, as long as you don't mean purely disagreement. The right to question and to examine what someone says is vital to a free society. I think what you are trying to say is impolite or uncivil discourse. I must say I questioned this story for the rather outlandish way to agent was rubbing up against the man, I am unaware of FBI proceedures. I also found it very unlikely that the FBI agent would ask the man if he wanted to sue, I can't imagine anyone ever saying that! They would try to placate you so you wouldn't sue, not give you the idea to do so. I tend to think the story is false like Jack, but I may be wrong. I do agree though that facts should be determined to be true or false before strong words of condemnation are used, and the OP be given the oportunity to say he was wrong.

Growing up on the south side of Chicago I leaned early on to always give a man a way out for the sake of his pride. Never insult his pride unless you really have to. If you respect his pride (civility) you will most likely preserve any good relationship there is (society) no matter the wrong.

I am waiting to find out what you hear from the FBI Jack.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
ed wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I dislike seeing dissension within our ranks.
+1
I suppose, as long as you don't mean purely disagreement. The right to question and to examine what someone says is vital to a free society. I think what you are trying to say is impolite or uncivil discourse. I must say I questioned this story for the rather outlandish way to agent was rubbing up against the man, I am unaware of FBI proceedures. I also found it very unlikely that the FBI agent would ask the man if he wanted to sue, I can't imagine anyone ever saying that! They would try to placate you so you wouldn't sue, not give you the idea to do so. I tend to think the story is false like Jack, but I may be wrong. I do agree though that facts should be determined to be true or false before strong words of condemnation are used, and the OP be given the oportunity to say he was wrong.

Growing up on the south side of Chicago I leaned early on to always give a man a way out for the sake of his pride. Never insult his pride unless you really have to. If you respect his pride (civility) you will most likely preserve any good relationship there is (society) no matter the wrong.

I am waiting to find out what you hear from the FBI Jack.
Yes sir, you are spot on with this. I would not be an American if I didn't support civil discourse and the discussion of opposing ideas and opinions. I prefer civility and deference over antagonistic adversity.

I know nothing of the FBI's procedures, internal or otherwise, so I am somewhat like the Venerable Bede in these areas. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Neplusultra

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Yes sir, you are spot on with this. I would not be an American if I didn't support civil discourse and the discussion of opposing ideas and opinions. I prefer civility and deference over antagonistic adversity.

I know nothing of the FBI's procedures, internal or otherwise, so I am somewhat like the Venerable Bede in these areas. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
Talking about civil discourse check this BS out (whatever your viewpoint, can you believe it?);

http://tinyurl.com/3m7mht

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

Talking about civil discourse check this BS out (whatever your viewpoint, can you believe it?);

http://tinyurl.com/3m7mht
Nothing surprises me about the UK. The client of the project on which I work is the UK police - all of the central and bureau offices/departments.

Sheriff

imported post

caltain wrote:
....the aftermath.

The agent was given three months suspension w/o pay, and three months suspension with pay. He also got to then return to the academy for six months of remedial training. I also got to place a victim's impact statement permanently in his personnel file.
This is one of those ROTGFL moments! Good work! :lol:

Too bad you didn't have video and audio capabilities at the time!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well I think it would be fair for Caltain to produce some evidence that his account actually happened.

caltain

imported post

Jack! Nice to see you ringin' in from No Car. First, let me point out that you could have handled your suspicion in a more appropriate fashion. I don't know you from Adam, so I'll assume, given the time of your post, that you don't sleep much better than I do, and that you were just tired. Nuff said.

I don't mean to imply from my statement above that you should have handled it privately, at least at first. Rather,that calling me a liar because you don't believe my story is inappropriate, baseless and rude.

Let's take 'em in order from what I can recall with all the steam blowing out my ears.

First, Northern Virginia is serviced by the Washington, DC Field Office, located in, you guessed it, Washington, DC. I didn't say I reported the incident to FBI headquarters, you did.

Second, you are apparently ignorant of the fact that the FBI, like many other organizations, has both a procedure and a staff for addressing complaints of assault, violation of civil rights, etc. against it's agents. As you are ignorant of these facts, you should not be blasting me with your assumptions.

Third, the nice lady that called me back was asking if I wished to file suit for assault against the agent. The reason that she asked this important question, was because there are specific and different steps that they follow if you make a complaint against an agent that is in it's basic nature criminal or civil or basically just "I want you to know what he/she did!"

As a side note, when you make a complaint against another in a criminal matter, you are in fact filing, or causing to be filed, a lawsuit against the person who committed the crime. You are represented in that suit by the locality which passed the ordinance, regulation or law, because you personally did not create the statute. This is done so that everyone charged in a criminal case is prosecuted by the community at large. That, whether you can beheld pending dispositionand the types of penalty you may incur, if found guilty,are the basic major differences between criminal and civil courts.

Third.5, "No, Virginia there is no" Agent Leaner. I declined to state the agent's real name because I, for one, am sensitive to the impact of the Internet. I would want control of how and where my name appears anywhere, not just on the Internet. I therefore chose not to provide easy fodder for the screamers to shout about. I continue to decline to do so, as this matter is between he and I. I am satisfied with the situation and see no need to expose him to backlash from uninvolved third parties. I did not post the story to say "Hey, look what I did!" I posted the story because it is in fact my only real negative encounter while carrying. No one, let me repeat that, no one was, or could be, more amazed at his actions than I.

Fourth and Fifth, please see "ignorant", etc. under Second.

Sixth, likewise, see "ignorant", etc. under Second.

Seventh, ditto.

As for the rest of the post, please note that I have not called you "idiot" or referred to your post as BS. I'm still gonna be surprised if an "agent shows up at my door." Some people need a cause, I guess that today I'm yours. Beyond clarifying points about my post, I feel no need to substantiate the post further. I was there for the whole thing. Your opinion of reality doesn't reallycount.

Now, on to the concerns of more polite posters...

Neplusultra: I know that rubbin' is your way of saying what I call leaning. The point of this was clearly to pin my gun to my side, as the agent considered me a threat. I actually think that it was a nice way for him to do it. An alternative would be to attempt to disarm me, but someone always gets shot in a struggle for a gun... He could have drawn a bead on me and yelled "FBI! FREEZE", forever making me "the guy that the FBI pulled on" at one of only two all-night eateries in my area. Not good, as it might have made me unwelcome based on suspicion, not fact.

As a method, I liked it that way as well. While I don't usually condone getting within arms reach of an adversary, he needed to hedge his bets. What if I had been LEO and he had taken another tack? It works pretty well if you need to converse with someone that's carrying on his hip with nowhere to go, since you've effectively added the sense of touch to knowing where his gun is. It also puts you in a comparatively good position to take him down if he attempts a draw or other shady activity. I'm reasonably sure that it's not what the FBI trains the agent to do, assuming they were in the right to begin with. Also, it could be construed as assault, "but other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

I appreciate that you had concerns about the truth of the story, and that you were willing to give me the benefit, as it were. Next time, speak up! Your comments were well written, and civil,and would have been welcome earlier, as they are now!

Actually, I have to say that was pretty shocked when I checked back on this post. I don't have my threads set to notify me about replies unless I asked for info, volunteers, etc.so I have to rely on a posts proximity to the top of the list to see if it's still active. When this one didn't sink, I got curious, then WHAM! As this is pretty much just something that happened to me years ago, I never even considered that someone would call me a liar. I hadn't even thought about it for years, until I found OCDO a couple of weeks ago and thought you all might like a chuckle. Though it didn't make me laugh at first, it does now. That said, it's still my only negative response to carry, though I've been carded twice since. I guess that part of my motive for posting this was that "people don't freak out when I carry." I guess that's a good thing, but not much worth reading.

As always, I have, and will continue to post from my experience, opinion and personal knowledge. What you choose to believe is always up to you. I hope that you WILL question things you think questionable.

Dan Brooks aka caltain

Edited to add...

PS: In light of recent political fiascos, I wish to apologize for referring to the Great State of North Carolina as No Car. It's a beautiful place, and I'm sure that Jack has a car...

caltain

imported post

I did also want to say sorry for another long post, folks, but I thought it was warranted.

I'm also not fond of quoting full posts, especially when it is the original and points can be stated without the reprint. Just a pet peeve, but I usually access the board on my iPhone. Really a pain to scroll long pages just to get to the bottom. It works great if you're reading along, though.

I can't post my wife's comments regarding Jack's posts, as they would violate the vulgarity rule, but I suppose that they might qualify for the extreme emotion exception. It would be heresay anyway, since I seem to be on trial here. Kinda disappointing. I used to like this place. I guess I can just lurk on the sidelines and look for OC/CC info that's relevant to me, especially since I only have the one story.

Sheriff: I didn't think that I would need a recording whilst going about my breakfast. Wouldn't have been pretty. I certainly never imagined I'd need one to post here. Thanks for the chuckle though. It had its grins when I was no longer bein' hassled by the man...

Edited 'cause I hit send by mistake...

Dan

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

caltain wrote:
SNIP

It would be heresay anyway, since I seem to be on trial here. Kinda disappointing. I used to like this place. I guess I can just lurk on the sidelines and look for OC/CC info that's relevant to me, especially since I only have the one story.
Dan, might help to get this a little in perspective. We have over 6,000 members of this forum. We have probably 50 or so regulars. There were 4-5 people who in any way questioned what you posted and only one who seemed to pass wanting clarification to outright challenging you. That means that some 90% of the regulars and 99% of the general membership didn't say anything putting you on "trial". Furthermore, the person who raised the BS flag raised the same flag in another thread, claimed additional information but despite repeated requests and some flaming never posted any evidence to back up his position. For a few members to take a "wait and see" approach to see if that certain member does post any evidence of his challenge is not out of line nor personal but rather typical of this forum where cites and proof are often demanded for a variety of things.

I think that being disappointed and saying you "used to like this place" over the comments of a very few members is, well, kinda temper tantrum like and disproportional. I hope you rethink your position and decide to remain an active participant on the forum.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Sorry you feel like you are on the spot Dan, but we do have to be careful about folks selling us a fictional tale. It would be nice if there was some record of the incident, otherwise we kind of have to take it as an annecdotal tale. Hence the emphasis we have on carrying personal recorders to protect ourselves when legal matters like this come up. Please don't take it personally.

As for your other main detractor. Jack isn't a fellow I would worry about too much. He claims to be paid to put people in jail and then he denigrates LEOs, he's got more than his fair share of integrity issues. Hes just a troll or some kind of provocateur, I encourage people to ignore him.

caltain

imported post

Guys (and Gals), I know the deal with forums. I've managed several in the past, with as many as 1,700. I bailed on that one because the infighting got so bad that it split the mods and everyone started taking sides in what was a non-issue. I admit that I may be a bit sensitized to posts such as Jack's. I strongly believe, though, that the only thing that a man (or woman) takes with him to the grave is his honor. Maybe I was born too late. There were times when a man was assumed to be honorable. If that was challenged, the fight was on. I'm not looking for a fight in that sense, buy I am being tried in the court of public opinion here. Not by the bulk of the members, but by folks like Jack, who have never lived the cliché that truth is stranger than fiction. Buy me a coke sometime and I'll tell you some tales that'll curl your hair, or curl it more if applicable. I've been on the wrong side of LEOs before, and merely for their amusement. At this stage I'd believe pretty much any story of misuse of police powers. I guess it's just a matter of having lived it.

Imagine having the joy of starting your day the way I did on that particular day, having to figure out what to do about it, where to file a meaningful complaint, herding it through the system, etc for being wrongly accused of wrongdoing, then getting jumped for also doing nothing wrong when you tell folks about it. Not fun to be me at most moments, but definately not my most enjoyable moment. This was a personal account, given for entertainment to folks that can relate, and to show that you are more likely to get a negative response from the LEOs than from your fellow citizens. I hope that everyone can take it as such.

I really appreciate the folks that are here doing good works, and that some of you pointed out to Jack that he could have handled things differently. I value trust greatly and resented the implication that I wasn't worthy of it. Unfortunately, once someone yells liar, you have to stop and ask yourself if you believe any given thing that's said afterward. Sad, but that's how the mind works. It'slike if you're crossing a foot bridge and someone says that a guy stepped on a faulty plank and dropped right through. There is no evidence, but you still get a jolt when that next board creaks underfoot. Trust tarnished is difficult to restore to pristine condition.

I'm not going to post redacted documents and case numbers and official transcripts. I know that I speak the truth. Thats enough for me Ironically, I never felt like the FBI didn't believe me. Never came up.

I know that I'm not on trial here, believe what suits each of you of any post. Mine or not. A healthy skepticism is a good thing. I was venting when I made the on trial post. I apologize. Of course I'll continue to post. I'm too opinionated to stop at this age.

Oh, and thanks for the background on Jack. I'm assuming that it's accurate on your word...;-)

Dan

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Dan,

You have the ability to write well and are very tactful. I do not, and find it much easier to be tactless at times but I'm honest, blunt and to the point.

Well played Dan, good job!

Jack(ass),

STFU. A word of advice, post the way you would talk to a person face to face.

If this were my story, told to you F2F and you responded the way you did, you would have most likely gotten an open handedbit(h slap for calling me a liar and questioning my integrity. I suppose you have a hard time understanding and accepting that a man is only as good as his word. Probably because that statement doesn't apply to you and you know it.

P.S. Does this forum have an "Ignore" feature?

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jack wrote:
....First of all the Northern Virginia area has it's own field office, HQ in Washington is mainly an administrative office.
Not confirming or doubting anything but:

Loudoun County is part of FBI's Washington Field Office (WFO) territory. The WFO is physically at Judiciary Square in Washington DC -- less than 1/2 mile as the crow flies away from the J Edgar Hoover FBI Building.

Marco

imported post

jack wrote:
bailey wrote:
I have a friend who had to Glock 19's and useing Winchester white box ammo purchased at Wal Mart both kaboomed on him. He knows his stuff. He is not only a gunsmith but an Armorer as well. Mike did not reload ammo at all. He purchased it and shot it in the Glock 19's. Well I hope I don't have a reputation as a basher for Glock owners. I just want people to stop having this fantasy of what a wonderful gun a Glock is.

You need to decide whether you want to be Keith or Bailey , it's obvious you are the same lier. Two new posters that both have a friend that had TWO Glock 19's kaboom on him. Both joined in the last 24 hours.

P.S I saw your posts on the Glock forum with the photo. The boys over their saw through you quick. You will find it to be no different over here. Please tell the truth and post under one user name.

p.s. I hope you are like 17 years old, if not ...........
bailey wrote:
Yes, Jack from North Carolina I am one in the same. For your information, I tried to log in under the same name but for some reason the open carry site didn't let me. With your paranoia I am not trying to deceive you.:uhoh:
A troll is questioning someones integrity.

Ignore the troll or delete his account. ;)
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/7116-1.html
The original thread.

Sheriff

imported post

caltain wrote:
Sheriff: I didn't think that I would need a recording whilst going about my breakfast. Dan
You, like many other Americans, now know differently though, right?

With the technology (and size) of personal recorders out there now, I encourage everybody to carry one with them.

Watching law enforcement back up and rethink their strategy once they realize a video or audio tape shows they are intentionally and deliberatly lying is better than sex IMHO! :)