• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My run in with the Cops today

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

this was my first stop with the PD, (Olathe, KS) I was a little reckless but it gave me the confidence I needed to talk to LEOs after that. making them the servant and not me.

I have posted all my stops on the KS and MO boards, I dont really have any problems anymore.

M

McX

imported post

you should give us your firearms, you should get counseling, if you cooperate thing will be better for you......................they used that on you? oh, no wait, they used that on me when i got a rail run up my butt by a former employer who wanted to cover for their drug dealing scum................or was that what they used on you too? damn, you'd think they'd try something new, a bit more creative, like i'm with the government, and i'm here to help you.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LtColDaddy wrote:
We don't think all that differently comsec. Hey, your own safety has to be most important to you. I'll tell ya what happened to me with the Oceanside Police Department. Igot a CCW in CA, they are very hard to get! You have to go to the local sheriff and beg. Eachapplication is 100% case by case, their is no out right legal right to apply for.

I was stopped, the officer asked me if I had any guns, knives, grendades, or other things that could hurt him. I let him know that I did legally have a .45 on my person. He stepped back and his hand went to the ready position to draw his firearm, and he ordered me out of the truck felony style. Another officer put me in cuffs and removed my firearm. ALL OF THAT I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH! But they didn't handle my weapon safely, I was in from of the muzzle of a cocked and locked .45, MY OWN! It was very sketchy for a second, but I calmly spoke to the officer asking him to please clear the weapon and make it safe, as their is a round in the chamber, and it has a very light trigger. So he hit the mag release and his FINGER WAS ON THE TRIGGER! Then he pulled back the slide and cleared it. But for a second, I was very nervous.

In the end we all ended up laughing and joking, but I was made to feel very uncomfortable for awhile until I was all sorted out, because quite frankly, the officer was not all that knowlegable in safe gun handleing. I am rightfully anal about safety. At times I don't carry with a load in the chamber anymore if I get to thinking about that day, and I might start carrying a double action 9mm with a really hard trigger pull in case I'm ever in that scenerio again. You'd be surprised how many LEO's really aren't all that good with guns. They know how to qualify, and minimum that their departments make them know, and that's it.
Sir, I think you might have been in California too long if you think that a Lieutenant Colonel deserves to be treated that way by a common patrol officer!

RollinCode03

Carrying Id and OC

I believe anyone Carrying a firearm OC or Concealed Should have proper Id. And i only say this because your never to safe out there. I'f i were an Officer i would pull them aside Nicely and just explain my Situation just check to make sure you don't have a Felon carrying

Fallschirjmäger

I believe anyone Carrying a firearm OC or Concealed Should have proper Id. And i only say this because your never to safe out there. I'f i were an Officer i would pull them aside Nicely and just explain my Situation just check to make sure you don't have a Felon carrying

I must be missing something, exactly how does carrying government issued identification make some one "safer"?
Does it make you jump higher, run faster, aim more accurately? Perhaps you think everyone should carry identification so the hospital can treat injured persons more quickly?

I would venture to say that the only reason you want everyone to carry identification is to make the officer's job easier. Funny thing, it's not the citizen's responsibility to do so, nor is it the citizen's responsibility to prove who we are, nor is it the citizen's responsibility to prove he is not a felon.

Has anyone ever considered why there is a Fourth Amendment, and who it protects the people from?
Has anyone ever had the Fire Department demand identification? Or had the Department of Sanitation frisk their person? Has the Animal Control department ever stopped someone walking their pet down the street and demand proof that the pet has received it's vaccinations?

Last edited:

MKEgal

Oh, boy...
First off, welcome to the forum. :)

Secondly, you're gonna get jumped on for those opinions up there. Yes, they're your opinions, and yes, you're perfectly welcome to have & express them, but they're SO anti-citizen :shocker: that there are very few people here who would let them pass without at least attempting to educate you.

RollinCode03 said:
I believe anyone Carrying a firearm OC or Concealed Should have proper Id.
In the US of A we aren't required to carry ID. No 'papers please' like in East Germany. In fact, many people deliberately don't carry ID because then the police have a harder time violating their rights.

There are some states that require a citizen to inform an officer that she's carrying (if it's concealed) or present her permit to exercise the priviledge of self-protection (for states that don't recognize the 2A). But most states, esp. when carrying openly, don't.

And even in places where you are required to ID yourself to an officer who has reasonable suspicion that you've committed a crime, your verbal statement of your name & address are sufficient.

RollinCode03 said:
And i only say this because your[sic] never to[sic] safe out there.
How would carrying ID make me safer?

RollinCode03 said:
I'f i were an Officer i would pull them aside Nicely and just explain my Situation just check to make sure you don't have a Felon carrying
Your situation?
Your situation would be that you are a law enforcement officer who is required to follow the law in the execution of her/his duties.

Stopping someone without what's called reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime (often abbreviated RAS) is illegal.

Exercising a civil right is NOT RAS of a crime.
If you wouldn't be allowed legally to stop someone for going to church, or voting, then you're not allowed to stop someone for exericising the RKBA.

You could ask politely to talk with a citizen, and you could ask politely to see their ID (if they have any), but it would have to be consensual. Without RAS, any hint that you're trying to coerce them by using your authority or threat of action against them would be a crime.

PT111

Has anyone ever considered why there is a Fourth Amendment, and who it protects the people from?
Has anyone ever had the Fire Department demand identification?

I have seen the fire department get to a fire and demand that either the person show that they have paid the annual fire protection fee or pay the $250 right then before they would attempt to put out the fire. Yes it was a rural FD and perfectly legal for them to drive off without any attempt to put out the fire unless the fee was paid.

Or had the Department of Sanitation frisk their person?

Haven't seen that happen, that I know of.

Has the Animal Control department ever stopped someone walking their pet down the street and demand proof that the pet has received it's vaccinations?

Yep, if you are walking your dog and it does not have a collar with the tag dangling you will have to produce it or be fined. Have seen that happen plenty of times, usually with a dog running loose but also with some on a leash.

My comments are in blue.

Fallschirjmäger

I suspect that showing proof-of-fee paid for an address is NOT the same thing as showing identification. I'm pretty sure that if my Korean born, 6-foot tall cousin showed that the money had been paid, the fire department could care less that the owner of the property is an irritable, short, fat, bald, white guy.

I also suspect that since a collar can be buckled and unbuckled, and that a tag can be issued to one pet and subsequently worn by Any pet that the mere existence of a rabies tag is hardly considered "proof" of vaccination.

Last edited:

Bowers

reading the OP, the first thing that came to my head was a book I read long ago (don't remember the name) about a boy who left home to live in the woods. Parents thought he would be back in a few hours, a day at the most. But he didn't come back. He lived in the woods and thrived. Lived off the land, fished, hunted, and did just fine. He didn't need all the stuff we are so used to relying on today. Odd, yes, but perfectly ok by my standards.

Point being, OP has no obligation to carry ID. He also has no obligation to have a DL, SSN, or any other thing we think 'essential' today. Odd? maybe. but in a way I'm almost jealous. It's kinda like that boy in the woods, going back to a simpler way of doing things. and for us to get all in his face about it does no one any good.

I thought he did just fine.

Jared

When you say "pull them aside", I assume you mean request to have an encounter on a voluntary basis??? Because if so, I would politely say "no thank you". If you unlawfully detain me, I would politely sue you for 1983 violations.

I don't give up rights because you want to make sure I'm not a felon. What if I want to make sure you are a real cop? Perhaps you just murdered the real cop who was wearing that uniform and you are impersonating, maybe you want to kill me, take my gun and my money.

After all, I want make sure... just to be safe.

chakragod

Honestly, the OP sounds like he just wants attention. The 2 'encounters' sound like a story filled pile of BS, from someone who wants to think it's cool to talk that way to LEO's.

That and I honestly don't know how you could be a webmaster with such poor typing, spelling, and grammar skills. Smells like a teenager to me...

Also, if you really think not having ID is going to help you, it's not. You still have an identity, and you still have an SSN, whether you carry it on you or not. (Including finger prints.) You're still in the 'system' and nothing can really change that short of defecting to another country. (Or a really good hacker.)

Last edited: