• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC Law Goes Too Far Restricting Non-Violent Felons?

farkles

http://www.scribd.com/full/23885722?access_key=key-1h8hbcdrbbh357tgtc9o

After reading that table comparison in the article above, I think I actually agree. Look at the old NC law that allowed some leniency after some period of time for some firearms only for NON VIOLENT felons. Not sure what all would fall under non-violent felon, but I think it could make sense to loosen up those laws again.

There are many victimless crimes that would be considered felonies, that should not restrict your ability to own all weapons. Right now I could only come up with one example: possession of a firearm (or really any other weapon) on a school campus. Even an inadvertent possession 1 foot over the school boundary line could score you a felony charge technically. Should that restrict you from forever possessing any firearm for self defense, after never hurting, or threatening to hurt anyone?

mekender

In VA it is a felony to wear a mask in public.

As for felonies, any man that is too dangerous to be trusted with a firearm is too dangerous to walk the streets a free man. They should be locked up and removed from society until they are no longer a danger to it. Jail shouldnt be used as a punishment but as a way to segregate the people that are dangerous from the people who are not.

Anthony_I_Am

Jail shouldnt be used as a punishment but as a way to segregate the people that are dangerous from the people who are not.

I agree. I believe if a man has served his time, paid his restitution, and is trustworthy enough to be loosed back on society he should be trustworthy enough to own a gun, vote, pay taxes, and have every other right that a normal person has. If he can't be trusted with a gun then he can't be trusted among society is my point of view.

One problem with our system is we send a peron to jail, then turn him out after his sentence and expect him to be a productive citizen, get a job, pay taxes, and contribute to society while treating him as a second-class citizen. Take for example some guy who did something stupid when he was 18, was convicted of a felony, served 20 years, and now is back on the street at 38. The employer does a criminal records check, the apartment complex screens for criminal convictions, no federal student aid for a convicted felon, etc. etc.

Remember that our founding fathers, who penned the second amendment, would've been convicted felons except for the fact that their side won!

DonSmithnotTMD

It is in NC too. It's an anti-Klan law.

As for felonies, any man that is too dangerous to be trusted with a firearm is too dangerous to walk the streets a free man. They should be locked up and removed from society until they are no longer a danger to it. Jail shouldnt be used as a punishment but as a way to segregate the people that are dangerous from the people who are not.

Yup.

All of that being said look at the ridiculous carry restrictions on "honest" citizens.

Redwolf

You can not confuse felonies with being violent, robbing a bank from your living room using a computer or most white collar crimes are not violent but still get you a felony. They just changed the law here not to long ago. Felons where allowed to own a rifle or shotgun for hunting and self defense but no longer.

Anthony_I_Am

It's all a slow but steady attempt to disarm America. At first, anyone could own a gun, then they banned felons, then you had to be over 21, next they banned wife-beaters (even if the crime was a misdemeanor). How long before the fed govt decides that anyone who has recieved a traffic ticket doesn't qualify?

Now don't get the idea I support wife beaters, I'm just demonstrating how one they get a toe hold they just keep on adding to it.