• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

MSparks909

Bearfoot -
I too am from New Bern. Frequently OC. Don't post a lot on this forum. Mainly lurk. Question for you: do you know whether the Twin Rivers Mall has any laws on carrying (openly or concealed)? I looked on the website but have been hesitant to OC in there (or in TJ-Maxx with the GF) because I don't know their policy on firearms and their website doesn't list any info pertaining to firearms.

carolina guy

Bearfoot -
I too am from New Bern. Frequently OC. Don't post a lot on this forum. Mainly lurk. Question for you: do you know whether the Twin Rivers Mall has any laws on carrying (openly or concealed)? I looked on the website but have been hesitant to OC in there (or in TJ-Maxx with the GF) because I don't know their policy on firearms and their website doesn't list any info pertaining to firearms.

More than likely it is buried 1/2 way through their "code of conduct" that most malls post at some of the entrances. Essentially, meaningless unless they ask you to leave.

Jamesm760

SO, we have all seen some of the youtube videos where the guy is walking around with an AR15...
First question, Do you guys feel like thats too much or think he's sending out a good "message"

Also what do you guys think would be the experience if I OC with all this tacticool stuff fully equiped,

AR15:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20085509454...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1260wt_679

BUG:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280945131705?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_630wt_679

Primary, w/ all the firearm extra mags.. flash light, knife, etc.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/28099583149...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1011wt_758

If this is done, I plan on passing out OC awareness flyers, to educate people that may not be aware of OC in NC.

Thoughts? Too much? perfectly fine? Don't care?

Last edited:

USMCRET.

SO, we have all seen some of the youtube videos where the guy is walking around with an AR15...
First question, Do you guys feel like thats too much or think he's sending out a good "message"

Also what do you guys think would be the experience if I OC with all this tacticool stuff fully equiped,

My personal opinion. It is too much. I am all for exercising one's rights; however if people are fearful then you are losing the effect that you want, which I am assuming is education. Sure people who think guns are cool or people who are open carry supporters would understand exactly what you are doing but people who are kind of on the fence about open carry or guns in general may become afraid. In which case they will leave or avoid you, meaning you would not be able to speak with them or explain what you are doing. Effectively making you unable to educate them. You cannot hand a flyer to someone running in fear. If I were going to do it I would not dress in tactical gear, just because I had to wear that crap for years and hated it, and I would not carry and AR, AK47, or something people are seeing on the Brain Wash News at 9pm. However, you would get plenty attention carrying a bolt action or lever action rifle with-out as much of the fear factor. Just my opinion.

lannie

Hello everyone, new to this forum but not to firearms :lol:
I just obtained my first pistol [Star Model A], and with the knowledge that I am within my rights, I have started to open carry (still really nervous though!). I've gone to the Food Lion in both Dunn and Benson, and the Exxon in Benson near I-95. Great experiences- most people just seem not to notice. A cashier at the Exxon (Who I know well) said, "Not coming to shoot me are you?". Smiles all around. I'm actually pretty surprised by the lack of reaction in general.

Positive experiences aside, is anyone else in the Johnston Co. area? If so, do you know something I don't about carrying?
Also, any business known to be unfriendly to OC?

Does anyone carry a printout of statues folded in their holster? It's an idea that occurred to me in the chance of trouble.

Thanks in advance,
wonderful community!

Zakn,I am from JoCo (Clayton). I am the Co-Chairman for the Johnston County friends of the NRA. I also have OC meetups at McCalls BBQ and Seafood in Clayton about once a month. See www.meetup.com/triangle-open-carry website for info. I have a friend that lives near McGee Crossroads, but has a Benson address. We have several members from the Benson-Dunn area.
Lannie Godwin

jtitus07

If this is done, I plan on passing out OC awareness flyers, to educate people that may not be aware of OC in NC.

Too much. Carrying and going about you business is one thing and educating in the process is fine, but dressing up like GI Joe and standing on the street corner is just going to make people think you are an extremist nut job and give all of us a bad rap. There's a line between exercising your rights and just being nuts and I think that crosses it. Now maybe if it were an organized rally/event and there were a bunch of people doing it at the same time/place then people might better understand where your coming from but just one or two people in a random parking lot is gonna cause more harm than good in my opinion.

WalkingWolf

Exercise your rights in whatever legal manner you choose...

The very thought of telling other people how to live their life makes me want to vomit. That is exactly what the antis and the government do.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

AR15:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20085509454...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1260wt_679

BUG:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280945131705?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_630wt_679

Primary, w/ all the firearm extra mags.. flash light, knife, etc.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/28099583149...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1011wt_758

Encouraging the carry of long guns on OCDO is a violation of the Forum Rules.

The are some obvious and some more subtle reasons for this.

14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

We are involved in a public relations battle for the minds/support of those fence sitters and less educated on RKBA that still have an open mind. Dressing like a wannabe or in the style associated by some with "gun nuts" may be legal but hardly conducive to positive public interaction or media exposure. I am sure that there would be those that will liken such a visual effects as being akin to certain mass shooting situations.

It may be your right, but you must ask does it further the cause and at what price?

Jamesm760

Encouraging the carry of long guns on OCDO is a violation of the Forum Rules.

The are some obvious and some more subtle reasons for this.

14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

We are involved in a public relations battle for the minds/support of those fence sitters and less educated on RKBA that still have an open mind. Dressing like a wannabe or in the style associated by some with "gun nuts" may be legal but hardly conducive to positive public interaction or media exposure. I am sure that there would be those that will liken such a visual effects as being akin to certain mass shooting situations.

It may be your right, but you must ask does it further the cause and at what price?

Too much. Carrying and going about you business is one thing and educating in the process is fine, but dressing up like GI Joe and standing on the street corner is just going to make people think you are an extremist nut job and give all of us a bad rap.

Understood, just wanted to get some opinions since I know when OCing, you are pretty much repping all the other OCers, I do see how someone that is on the fence about firearms might not like the sight of "GI Joe" :lol:

Thanks guys, as always very helpful.

Last edited:

hammer6

i OC'd just north of the SC/NC border on i95 for some gas and snacks this morning, and no one batted an eye. not even the armed security guard inside the gas station.

Ken56

James, I don't know how old you are or any other aspect of you for that matter, just understand that human nature is what it is. Even I look at people and make a snap judgement of them, especially when they are armed. I trust no one, but have faith they are 'a good guy with a gun'. My feeling on the tach gear is a its too much for most people to handle and brings out the fear we want to dispell. OCDO wants to normalize handgun carry, not AR carry.

Jamesm760

James, I don't know how old you are or any other aspect of you for that matter, just understand that human nature is what it is. Even I look at people and make a snap judgement of them, especially when they are armed. I trust no one, but have faith they are 'a good guy with a gun'. My feeling on the tach gear is a its too much for most people to handle and brings out the fear we want to dispell. OCDO wants to normalize handgun carry, not AR carry.

I can agree with this, "I trust no one, but have faith they are 'a good guy with a gun'. My feeling on the tach gear is a its too much for most people to handle and brings out the fear we want to dispell. OCDO wants to normalize handgun carry, not AR carry."

I don't understand what my age, or background has anything to do with the point you were trying to make.

Not all the people judge others simply by appearance by the way, it's the ones that are judged, that don't have that specific part of "human nature" in them. I see people for people, I don't judge them, label them, I simply see a human, nothing more.

I agree, that most of society still has that "judge a book by a cover" mentality, which is very sad; we can save that conversation for a different forum website.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Unfortunately, first impressions mean something, even when the predisposition to a particular conclusion is predicated on poor education/indoctrination.

It has been said that we ARE what other people perceive us to be..........think that is true to the extent of their vision. Nonetheless, it will effect how they respond to us.

Dress, act, and speak in a manner most likely to induce the desired reaction. If you want someone to salute you, it might be better to take on the trappings of a general or admiral, rather than a hard working grunt.

dashowdy

Unfortunately, first impressions mean something, even when the predisposition to a particular conclusion is predicated on poor education/indoctrination.

It has been said that we ARE what other people perceive us to be..........think that is true to the extent of their vision. Nonetheless, it will effect how they respond to us.

Dress, act, and speak in a manner most likely to induce the desired reaction. If you want someone to salute you, it might be better to take on the trappings of a general or admiral, rather than a hard working grunt.

I prefer "Dont talk to let the world know what you are, be who you are and the world will see you for what you are and nothing more." That being said you are more likely to get the cops called on you if your dressed like a muslim open carrying than a redneck with a sleeveless nra shirt and no teeth, first impressions are everything. just my .02 cents.

WalkingWolf

I hate to break ranks, but I don't care what others think. I mind my business, they can mind theirs. While I am clean, and wear clean, and orderly clothes, I have no problem with the ditch digger on his way home armed to the teeth OCing while picking up some groceries. The last thing I want to do is slip into the same mindset the antis possess. We see armed military in their tact gear all the time around here, it is normal.

dashowdy

it shouldnt matter if we are dirty or not the open carry rules still apply, we should all treat each other with respect...

And we do amongst open carriers, granted I have only ever seen two while out and about in raleigh. The problem is sheeple and areas heavily populated by liberal northerners can be an issue occasionally for some of the members here, but thankfully these issues seem less and less over the last year or so.

ron73440

And we do amongst open carriers, granted I have only ever seen two while out and about in raleigh. The problem is sheeple and areas heavily populated by liberal northerners can be an issue occasionally for some of the members here, but thankfully these issues seem less and less over the last year or so.

I don't think that's what the're getting at.

There are some who see the "tacti COOL" guy and say " That's not a good idea", or "There is no reason for that", and that's exactly what anti's and a lot of CC'ers say when they see OC.

If they're legal and not acting crazy, mind your own business is my opinion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I don't think that's what the're getting at.

There are some who see the "tacti COOL" guy and say " That's not a good idea", or "There is no reason for that", and that's exactly what anti's and a lot of CC'ers say when they see OC.

If they're legal and not acting crazy, mind your own business is my opinion.
I do not philosophically disagree - the way it should be is clear. We do not live in either a perfect world nor a vacuum.

Someone that has gotten all grimy and dirty working or playing hard is not under question from my POV.

Someone that looks like a terrorist or mall ninja to sheeple and the media will only feed the frenzy - Look another GUN NUT! OMG! OMG! The queried style only plays into the dark side's hands - gives them material to use against us. Trust me there will be pictures to go with the stories of him yelling (media's choice of words), It is my RIGHT!" That IMO is part of the reason long gun carry is off topic on OCDO.

And yes I do recognize that is a sensitive point with some here. Would I throw a long gun in the truck when shopping? - yep in a more perfect world AND on a different forum if OCDO were not doing so well :)