• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

ethan_ws

Buy a inexpensive holster to mount on the center console.

I had thought about that, but I don't want to screw into my car's trim at all. I looked for a clip holster for the console, but came up empty. My CHL should be in within the next month, so I won't have to worry about leaving it holstered or putting it under the console and concealing it.

solus

View attachment 12067
the Hboro planning dept has conceded this sign is in error...but will will not be replaced till Jan... the excuse is "its our common format" which tells me there are others that need addressing.
cw

so seaweaver, did you get your response in writing or verbally? if verbally,l might suggest you follow up with a registered letter stating here is what i heard you say.

good job...

ipse

solus

I had thought about that, but I don't want to screw into my car's trim at all. I looked for a clip holster for the console, but came up empty. My CHL should be in within the next month, so I won't have to worry about leaving it holstered or putting it under the console and concealing it.

a belated welcome to the NC sub forum...

get a cheepie holster ~ uncle mikes etc., & velcro it on your shoulder belt as it goes midway across and down so it is comfortable...works well. or see discussion and links up several posts about the AG's perception of carry in vehicles.

again well to OC...

ipse

Jamesm760

First post on this forum, really glad I found it!

Carried today and yesterday for the first time while running some errands. CVS, Lowe's Foods, and Dunkin Donuts on Peter's Creek in Winston Salem. Pretty receptive overall, just got a weird look or two from some people in the grocery store, and overheard someone saying " . . . yeah, I know, as soon as I saw it." Other than that, I heard a few others talking about my gun behind me in line at Lowe's and Dunkin, the latter was "Well, it says 'Smith and Wesson' on the mag!". CVS was pretty deserted when I went in, but the staff seemed very receptive. Stopped for gas at the Hess/Wilco at the intersection of Peter's Creek and Silas, and they all were pretty receptive as well. The clerks were talking about a girl that got robbed in the parking lot the night before, and were ok with me carrying. Overall, I would carry at all these places again, nothing that seemed too out of the ordinary for me.

Welcome to OCDO! Hope you join us for dinner on Friday.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ay-of-each-month-at-6pm&p=2094882#post2094882

papa bear

I had issue with this too. I tried putting it on the front seat, but it slid too much, so I just kept it holstered so that the sights and rear of the slide were visible. In the seatbelt covers the rest. I know what the letter of the law says, but I'm curious to know if I'd be arrested for using a seatbelt, which is obviously required while driving, that in the end covers my firearm.

My other questions is, if I'm not driving, I don't feel to comfortable leaving my pistol on my lap, but holstering it in the passenger seat pretty much fully conceals it with the door panel and curve of the seat. What is a way around that? I have a car holster, but it's under the column, which technically would be concealed.

ETHAN, welcome to the forum. i think we are giving more and more of these welcomes

i have been pulled with the gun on the console (or center desk), and i have been pulled with it in the holster on my side. in that case i informed the LEO that i was carrying, and gave him my permission slip. he asked me where it was at, and i said on my person. he again asked where it was at and i said on my person. he said well keep your hands where i can see them, i said way ahead of you. that was the end of that

BTW. it does depend on a lot of what the LEO wants to do. you could have it on a string in the car and if the LEO want to he could make an issue of it. court would be on your side, but he would not have to answer for anything

Last edited:

dmatting

i have been pulled with the gun on the console (or center desk), and i have been pulled with it in the holster on my side.

You need to slow down, brother. Sounds like the revenue collectors are getting an uneven portion from you.

ron73440

Haven't posted in a while since nothing has really happened, but I do have a couple stories:

At a HESS in Ahoskie or Oriental (it was a long trip, not sure) a man says, "You can carry like that up here?" (Being a yankee, up here and NC don't go together)

Me: That's the only way I carry, since I refuse to get a permit

Him: That's legal? I'm from Florida so I've never seen that before.

Me: Totally legal, most people don't notice or care.

Him: My man! I'm all about that.

Me: Freedom is awesome.

Him: We need more like you.

Me: Carry yourself, NC is a good place for it.

Him: Maybe I will, I keep mine in the truck.

It was nice to get a positive reaction, although no reaction is just as nice.

At Wal-Mart in Morehead City, a young man asked me about getting a permit because he turns 21 in a week and really wants one. I tried my best to talk him out of it, but I don't think he could conceive of carrying without a permission slip.

Makes me a little sad that for most people carrying a pistol automatically equals asking permission.

ron73440

I went to the NC seafood festival this weekend, not sure why: food was too expensive and there were way too many people. But on the bright side, there was not a single reaction to my pistol (except my wife).

She started with " there are so many people, if something did happen, you couldn't do anything."

I explained that if someone started shooting, most people would get down and it's not like I would go looking for them, but if they were coming towards me it would be fairly obvious who the BG's were.

Then she told me that I was the only one with a gun, so I said that's not true, I'm just the only one you can see.

No big deal, for the most part she leaves me alone about it.

The gun did protect me, there were two ladies sitting outside of the democratic HQ and they stopped the people about 100 yards in front of me, but when I got to them they didn't say a word.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Just got home from Tennessee,
without a permit I can OC.

The trip was a birthday present to my wife: She got to go see her mother on her mother's birthday. You can't normally OC in TN; the possession of a concealed carry permit is the affirmative defense to the charge of OCing. Note: OC of an unloaded handgun, if the ammo is not readily available, is apparently OK. On the plus side, the only place I saw posted against guns was a mexican restaurant, and I wasn't going there anyway. Even the Waffle Houses (2) did not have the familiar yellow signs on them.

Glad to be home.

Last edited:

trailkiller91

Was anyone on here at the Cameron Antique Fair this past Saturday? I was on shift so I couldn't carry but did see quite a few people that were, even saw one guy carrying wearing gym shorts. First time I've seen that.

Horsegal984

Was anyone on here at the Cameron Antique Fair this past Saturday? I was on shift so I couldn't carry but did see quite a few people that were, even saw one guy carrying wearing gym shorts. First time I've seen that.

Doubt it was him but the owner of my gym ALWAYS carries. Even when leading sessions he rarely removes his EDC. You can always tell the newbies because they're the ones who stare if it prints or he disarms. And before anyone questions, if he disarms he always keeps it in sight/reach. I'm always amazed that his holster is that awesome, my gym shorts are not as all supportive!

SovereignAxe

Just got home from Tennessee,
without a permit I can OC.

The trip was a birthday present to my wife: She got to go see her mother on her mother's birthday. You can't normally OC in TN; the possession of a concealed carry permit is the affirmative defense to the charge of OCing. Note: OC of an unloaded handgun, if the ammo is not readily available, is apparently OK. On the plus side, the only place I saw posted against guns was a mexican restaurant, and I wasn't going there anyway. Even the Waffle Houses (2) did not have the familiar yellow signs on them.

Glad to be home.

Small correction. Both OC and CC are illegal in TN. The Handgun Carry Permit (or out of stater's conceal carry permits) are an affirmative defense to both OC and CC.

Yes, our law is unconstitutional, but AFAIK nobody has ever been arrested for carrying a loaded handgun even with their permit, so it hasn't been challenged yet.

bc.cruiser

Small correction. Both OC and CC are illegal in TN. The Handgun Carry Permit (or out of stater's conceal carry permits) are an affirmative defense to both OC and CC.

Yes, our law is unconstitutional, but AFAIK nobody has ever been arrested for carrying a loaded handgun even with their permit, so it hasn't been challenged yet.

Thanks. I did go back and read the TN laws; it seems that the permit to carry is really a permit to carry ammunition
:)D) since one defense to the charge of carrying is that ammo is not present. Again, glad to be home.

Last edited:

solus

great week OC'g throughout the area, whether it was at the doctor, local hyway 55, state employee's financial institution, to car dealership...best conversation was at state employees where the individual was invited to come out to the forum and lurk then contribute as appropriate.

ipse

Jsh

Harris teeter

Walked in to do a little shopping last night and was greeted by a security guard who informed me of Harris teeters no weapon policy (incorrect) he told me id need to leave my weapon in my car. I asked if we could talk to a manager together about this just to clarify I was in the right, we then went and talked to the store manager "ken" who asked if I had a permit for it which I informed him no sir I don't need one to open carry in nc, he then asked the guard if I was right and he informed him that yes I was correct. After a few minutes of my being polite as he continued asking about legality of my carrying and also if I could cover it ( no I can't no permit as of yet ) he with much attitude and almost sulking said he couldn't do anything about it and that Harris teeter follows state laws. I offered to go elsewhere and he told me "oh I'm definitely not going to ask you to go somewhere else" but given his attitude and demeanor and the way he was speaking towards me I elected to go elsewhere of my own accord. All this to say it's unfortunate a manager would act this way towards a customer, I honestly didn't feel welcome in the store given the way he spoke to me.

Last edited:

Jamesm760

Walked in to do a little shopping last night and was greeted by a security guard who informed me of Harris teeters no weapon policy (incorrect) he told me id need to leave my weapon in my car. I asked if we could talk to a manager together about this just to clarify I was in the right, we then went and talked to the store manager "ken" who asked if I had a permit for it which I informed him no sir I don't need one to open carry in nc, he then asked the guard if I was right and he informed him that yes I was correct. After a few minutes of my being polite as he continued asking about legality of my carrying and also if I could cover it ( no I can't no permit as of yet ) he with much attitude and almost sulking said he couldn't do anything about it and that Harris teeter follows state laws. I offered to go elsewhere and he told me "oh I'm definitely not going to ask you to go somewhere else" but given his attitude and demeanor and the way he was speaking towards me I elected to go elsewhere of my own accord. All this to say it's unfortunate a manager would act this way towards a customer, I honestly didn't feel welcome in the store given the way he spoke to me.

Unfortunately stores can't hire based on what peoples' stances are. You can have the most 2nd A friendly business and there will be someone, at some point, working there that is against it. He knew that he couldn't tell you to leave though, which is why he didn't or he would have gotten in trouble. I would still call corporate and file a complaint on him for the vibes he was giving towards you. The guard was probably anti OC and thought he should make up a policy since he didn't like the idea of you open carrying in there. I would also complain about him with corporate and ask if they are allowed to speak to customers about the store's policy's since they are most likely a 3rd party. Or get his company info and report it there. I shop at Food Lion and wally mostly and I haven't had any problems at either yet (regarding my OCing).

lpb8733

Walked in to do a little shopping last night and was greeted by a security guard ..[snip]....

I'm not sure which part of the state you're in, but around Hendersonville / Asheville, all of the grocery store security guards are 3rd party contract. If that's the case for you, I would also contact the company the guard works for.

ron73440

Which HT?

I go to the New Bern and Morehead City ones and have never even gotten a funny look.