• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

x3atthis

Went to Gander Mountain last night...while in the parking lot a man drove by and stop to asked me about the legality of OC in NC...he has a CHP but had no idea you could OC, so I gave him a brief synopsis and some sites to check out for explanation of NC's general statutes. Not even 30 minutes later, another gun owner in the store asked me the same question, so I did the same for him. All in all, it turned out to be a good day for OC education!

papa bear

good McDonald encounter

took my granddaughter to McDs this morning, basically so she can play on the indoor play set. there was a young mother that came in and as the kids played she noticed that i was carrying. she first asked me what it took to get a CHP, saying since she was over 21 she wanted to get one. i told her it was simple and told some of the high points, and then i added if she knew that she could carry openly without a permit. she agreed that was right , but she said she probabaly would want to carry in a purse. we had a good conversation about different ways of carry.
i found out she worked at the McDs that we were at. so since i am in there quite abit i asked her if anyone had said anything about some nut carrying a gun in there. she said no , so evidently no one has a problem with it. good encounter

x3atthis

took my granddaughter to McDs this morning, basically so she can play on the indoor play set. there was a young mother that came in and as the kids played she noticed that i was carrying. she first asked me what it took to get a CHP, saying since she was over 21 she wanted to get one. i told her it was simple and told some of the high points, and then i added if she knew that she could carry openly without a permit. she agreed that was right , but she said she probabaly would want to carry in a purse. we had a good conversation about different ways of carry.
i found out she worked at the McDs that we were at. so since i am in there quite abit i asked her if anyone had said anything about some nut carrying a gun in there. she said no , so evidently no one has a problem with it. good encounter

You didn't happen to mention to her some of the problems that can come with purse carry, did you?

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Caribou Coffee +1

Stopped at Caribou Coffee/Bruegger's Bagels on East Blvd in Charlotte yesterday evening while OCing. This neighborhood is mostly DEM, but there weren't any issues and nobody even seemed to care -- including the staff. Good service, no hassles & great coffee.

deaconmaster

New to the Triad

I'm in the process of moving to the Triad from Northern Virginia. Actuallly, I'm in temporary housing as I search for a permanent residence and try to sell my house in VA. I have VA, UT and PA permits but prefer to open carry. I think/hope they are all good until I establish permanent residence in NC.

I've been OCing quite a bit. Walmart, various grocery stores, Home Depot and Lowes, Starbucks, convenience stores, etc. I've received a few stares and heard a few whispers but all-in-all it has been without incident. I was stopped by a customer in a Lowes grocery store who asked to see my Sig 220. I told him that was not happening and he asked if I had a concealed carry permit. I told him that I did but that I did not need one to open carry. He asked what I did need to open caryy so I told him a gun and a holster. We both laughed and he told me he had just turned 21 and wanted to buy a gun. I encouraged him to do so and went on my way.

As I eat out a lot, I find the NC law with respect to restaurant carry to be a royal pain. I certainly hope the senate follows the house and changes that law. I hate locking my gun away in my car.

smlawrence

I'm in the process of moving to the Triad from Northern Virginia. Actuallly, I'm in temporary housing as I search for a permanent residence and try to sell my house in VA. I have VA, UT and PA permits but prefer to open carry. I think/hope they are all good until I establish permanent residence in NC.

I've been OCing quite a bit. Walmart, various grocery stores, Home Depot and Lowes, Starbucks, convenience stores, etc. I've received a few stares and heard a few whispers but all-in-all it has been without incident. I was stopped by a customer in a Lowes grocery store who asked to see my Sig 220. I told him that was not happening and he asked if I had a concealed carry permit. I told him that I did but that I did not need one to open carry. He asked what I did need to open caryy so I told him a gun and a holster. We both laughed and he told me he had just turned 21 and wanted to buy a gun. I encouraged him to do so and went on my way.

As I eat out a lot, I find the NC law with respect to restaurant carry to be a royal pain. I certainly hope the senate follows the house and changes that law. I hate locking my gun away in my car.

I don't think I would encourage him to purchase a gun if he had asked to see mine in the middle of the grocery store...lol. Welcome to NC.

JayT

Just a quick thanks

Whew, finally made it through all 20+ pages... (I'm new to the site).

I've been reading up on all experiences... Very helpful, especially with LEOs. When I do OC, I try to update FriendorFoe... Sultan, you've been busy in Clayton.. I'll have to do my part on this side of 40... I will report any good or bad here too...

sultan62

Whew, finally made it through all 20+ pages... (I'm new to the site).

I've been reading up on all experiences... Very helpful, especially with LEOs. When I do OC, I try to update FriendorFoe... Sultan, you've been busy in Clayton.. I'll have to do my part on this side of 40... I will report any good or bad here too...

I'm not the only person updating in Clayton, though I do try to update anywhere I visit.

Also, if you're interested in attending OC meetups, go to http://www.meetup.com/Triangle-Open-Carry/

papa bear

had several checks to deposit Friday, i usaully go through the drive thru and since i had nothing on the schedule, till afternoon. i decided to go into the banks (of course OCing). i got to First Citizens, i have gotten really good service from them. one of the suits was just opening the doors, and greeted me as i came up. i thought i did see a look come into his eyes, but he never said anything about me carrying. all of the tellers know me by name and everything went well, nothing out of the ordinary. i will look and see if any signs go up

next went to the NCSECU, and i did want to see if there would be any problem, after reading another post about it. the strangest thing happened. i saw a guy come out with a T-shirt that read "i support the rights to arm bears" with a picture of a bear with a gun. as he went to get in his truck i thought i saw a holster, but i was trying to park at the same time and i did not get a chance to talk to him. it was busy inside but no one seemed to mind

had an interesting incident in VA, but i will post it to the VA forum

Last edited:

papa bear

not really a carry incident. just a nut ball, shooting a full automatic behind me will i was trying to do some work. i think he was just trying to be an a**hole

Dreamer

OCed all over Greenville today. "exilin77" and "matt" went with me to the gun show (uloaded OC), and handed out some literature about SCCC and NC Gun Rights. Then we went to Cracker Barrel for lunch, after which we went our separate ways.

I OCed in AC Moore (art supplies), a convenience store, and downtown at the "Pirate Fest". I got a few funny looks (mostly from young African-Aerican males, and two older white guys) but no comments or hassle.

No issues all day. I was carrying my Para in a tan Serpa. You'd think more people would notice, or say something, but most folks seem to be either oblivious or uninterested. Things are changing here in ENC. It seems that people just don't care about OC anymore. I used to get a LOT more comments, a few years ago. I guess "normalization" is starting to work here... ;)

Last edited:

Bearfoot

Good to see you guys today.:) Enjoyed the conversation of information while at Cracker Barrel. I made a promise to my seetheart to go there whenever we are in G'ville.

You are correct Dreamer. Education about OC is definitely coming around.:dude:

FLEMTP

OC in Charlotte

I open carried all day yesterday, gas station, Best Buy in Matthews ( with an officer working security at the door), and firehouse subs at providence and pineville-matthews, never had any issues.. no one batted an eyelash. I love it!

chiefjason

Funny incident Sat. I took the girls camping last weekend up above West Jefferson, Helton Creek Campground. I stopped in the Scotchman in Blowing Rock so my youngest could use the rest room. There was a group of older guys drinking coffee, liars club sorta thing. As I close the door I hear one say, "Well, she did not look THAT mean." OK, that's funny. But I don't really know what's coming as I leave. So when we come out he says the same thing, to me this time. So I respond, "Nah, she's not mean at all but her and her sister are definitely worth protecting." Stand around and talk a little junk for a few minutes and leave. The college age cashier looked a little wigged out by it though.

Stopped at the McD's in W Jefferson for about an hour. Oldest was car sick. No problems at all. A few looks though.

Brion

Soon to OC. I have a .41 Rem Mag Revolver that I'm going to trade for a .45 this afternoon and so soon I shall have my first OC experience. I've been keeping up and reading alot of info on this website as well as usacarry.com to make sure this is something I really want to do. I put alot of thought into anything and everything I do and I do most thing on purpose. Being a military officer I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution. And I took this oath in front of some of my closest friends and family and swor before God. Just the same as I said Vows of Marriage to my wife. So this is no joke. I want to thank you folks on here that OC and being an insparation for me to further keep and defend my oath.

sultan62

Soon to OC. I have a .41 Rem Mag Revolver that I'm going to trade for a .45 this afternoon and so soon I shall have my first OC experience. I've been keeping up and reading alot of info on this website as well as usacarry.com to make sure this is something I really want to do. I put alot of thought into anything and everything I do and I do most thing on purpose. Being a military officer I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution. And I took this oath in front of some of my closest friends and family and swor before God. Just the same as I said Vows of Marriage to my wife. So this is no joke. I want to thank you folks on here that OC and being an insparation for me to further keep and defend my oath.

Excellent! Any form of carry is a serious thing, and should not be done lightly. Let us know how it goes!

Maverick9110e

I would get some range time in with any new firearm before carrying it on your person. Unless you are VERY familiar with it and have practiced with that SPECIFIC firearm i would hesitate to carry it until you do so.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would get some range time in with any new firearm before carrying it on your person. Unless you are VERY familiar with it and have practiced with that SPECIFIC firearm i would hesitate to carry it until you do so.

Also would want to put sufficient rounds through it to insure reliability and to check out the factory sights.