• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Thanks for digging around as always. I'll stop by and ask the owner next time I'm in town.

This is a good idea,,,, And a good place for me to accent this very important point!!!

Do NOT,,, ask if you can carry a dangerous, deadly, weapon into his place of business....

Just let him see!! all of you,,, as if you wondered about your clothes or style or color...

Ask if YOU have permission to patronize his establishment,,, simple as that...

He WILL say YES!!!
Leave it at that..... Smile,,, be a Correctly acting customer, do your business, smile when you say,,,
Good by....

WalkingWolf

This is a good idea,,,, And a good place for me to accent this very important point!!!

Do NOT,,, ask if you can carry a dangerous, deadly, weapon into his place of business....

Just let him see!! all of you,,, as if you wondered about your clothes or style or color...

He WILL say YES!!!
Leave it at that..... Smile,,, be a Correctly acting customer, do your business, smile when you say,,,
Good by....

It doesn't work here, you must ask for permission to have a firearm on a serving business. The owner may be confused and not realize why permission is being asked, they may not even notice the firearm. It is best under NC law to get permission to open carry a firearm without a permit.

solus

He WILL say YES!!!
Good by....

unfortunately defender, based on the wording of the NC statute, individuals must formally get acknowledgement from the individual in charge of the property which is my first question then asking if I might enter with my firearm and my personal consideration is when I ask these questions is to assure there is another customer or two who hears the conversation. (yes WW, et al., I don't trust the local yokels to interpret the situation appropriately and following my standard concept of not wanting to have to defend myself judicially think this is prudent practice!)

ipse

nobama

This past weekend went to Walmart OCing, there was a gentleman there OCing a knife. I was standing behind him in line and noticed a Smith and Wesson airweight in his pocket. He then makes contact and asked if I ever get crap for OCing, I said only once in 7yrs. He tells me he CC in the summer but OCs in the winter where he carries his 1911 outside of his coat. I found that to be odd and backassward, but a friendly encounter anyway.

PLUR

This past weekend went to Walmart OCing, there was a gentleman there OCing a knife. I was standing behind him in line and noticed a Smith and Wesson airweight in his pocket. He then makes contact and asked if I ever get crap for OCing, I said only once in 7yrs. He tells me he CC in the summer but OCs in the winter where he carries his 1911 outside of his coat. I found that to be odd and backassward, but a friendly encounter anyway.

Maybe not _that_ backassward. Probably feels like he wears too much clothing to in the winter to get at a gun he CCs?

solus

toddled to garner this afternoon visiting Lawman's, Cycle Gear, Personal Defense and Handgun safety Center, and McD's in front of Lowes. Nobody, absolutely nobody, batted an eye nor say a word as I looked at firearms & accessories, and such at the firearm emporiums. the lads at Cycle Gear just showed helmets and took my cash.

OC life in NC is getting mundane...just the way it should be.. darn, life as I and my OC'g colleagues know it, is good!!

ipse

OC Freedom

misdemeanor for entering an establishment that serves alcohol (what's up with that?)

It is written right into the law, a proprietor or the person in charge of the event can give permission. I will dig for it again and post it.

§ 14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14-269.

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment.

(3) A person participating in the event, if the person is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event.

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event.

(5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a handgun on any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c). (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4; c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2013-369, s. 3.)

Event is not defined in NC statutes, and dinner is an event.

Dang! You can't enter an establishment open carrying that serves alcohol without permission, that's just B.S. I guess I'm spoiled here in Idaho, I have gone into a Saloon (bar, tavern) more than once since moving here and never had a problem with fellow patrons or management, it's perfectly legal to drink and open carry.

solus

visited dr. (large multiple dr. facility) they have signage stating no concealed, and since I knew i needed to have an xray, kept holster on but left firearm in safe in vehicle as the firearm would have been unsecured in the exam room.

after xray, dr. came in moved my clothes off the exam table, saw my holster hanging on my belt, and he smiled but the technician grimaced, so I waited for what I presumed was a lecture on the perils of firearms, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised with both the health diagnosis as well as the ensuing conversation with the doctor & technician about firearms, ammo and damage done by same, carry in general, his family's shooting sports activities for the next ten minutes, left with an agreement to go shooting in the near future.

ipse

dmatting

Stopped at Domino's on North Roxboro St (Hwy501) in Durham on the way home last night to pick up some food. Was waiting for it to come out and a guy who came in after me started off by asking the usual "ice breaker" (for lack of a better term). All in one question he asked if I was a cop, detective, or a security guard. After replying no, he said "So you're just carrying a weapon around?" to which I replied, yes. Then he asked if I minded him asking more questions and I said go ahead. So he asked if I ever had any problems being in businesses with my pistol and I told him I've never really had a problem anywhere and if they have a gun buster sign on the door, I just go somewhere else. Then he asked why I chose a Glock and I told him it was a Springfield XD. Right then the kid at the register said my food was ready, so I paid and said bye. No one working at Domino's cared - or likely even noticed.

solus

tis pleasant isn't it dmatting, et al., just to OC and go about our normal routine business activities while showing and discussing w/the Tarheel populace about OC'g in general.

ipse

jtitus07

Forgot to post. Was in Wilmington a few weeks ago for work (so I wasn't OCing) but was in a gas station somewhere on college rd (street, avenue, whatever it is) and ran across another gentleman around my age (mid 20's) OCing. Made small talk about carrying and mentioned the forums but he was not a member. He seemed shy/nervous so there wasn't much more conversation and I paid for my items(a few 20oz Mt Dew Livewires because I can only find them in Wilmington) and started my 2 hour drive home.

solus

hurray...walked into the brand new, first in the area cabelas this afternoon OC'g and as i walked through their entry way a huge employee started walking briskly towards me in what i believe was an attempt to intercept me when another employee called out to him and all i heard was stand down.

saw at least six others OC'g and after dropping my wad of cash on things i 'needed', two burner outdoor turkey cooker not withstanding, i left.

btw, while they have a very very large selection of firearms, their employees do not have a clue about them as it seemed they were overwhelmed when questions were directed at them about the firearms. further, the firearms in the cases seemed stocked randomly and not by manufacturer or caliber but in some instances size or by price?

additionally, they beeee write proud of them their shooting irons...woooooo weeeee...buds is looking better and better...

perhaps when things settle down, another visit will be in order

ipse

Last edited:

ArtBrann

figure I will add mine, and introduce myself
Hi i'm Art and I am a gunaholic, oh wait wrong page
new to OC, was around guns in my younger days then I got married...(split with her and escaped from CT a few years ago, my fiancee is much more gun friendly and well not a shrew... lol)

anyway, first day open carrying over the weekend, the fiancee, our dog, and I were going to the range so I could work on teaching her to shoot and to her parents in Pinehurst to do 1 big day for the 3 birthdays around this time of year(mine, her father's, and her cousin's)
Open carried in MCD's, somewhere like halfway between Knightdale and Pinehurst on US1 because the dog was whining and the line inside was shorter than the drivethru, no issues...
Open carried in the Pinehurst Walmart, because we realized we forgot ears(whoops), walked in, got the cheap foam plugs, and out no issues...
dropped the dog off at her parents, her father asked if it was legal...
took the fiancee to the range, she did ok till the antique decided she wasn't 'racist' enough(it's WWII captured German equipment her great uncle brought back) so it decided to bite her and broke(replacement parts need to be ordered)...
and finally goto Lowes foods to get more stuff needed to make the cakes/pies for the birthdays, no issues inside... going out to the car, she spotted it before me, couple guys in a jacked truck giving me dirty looks, lol

bonus points to the person who guesses where, and how, she got 'bit'

@solus I checked them out on grand opening nightmare err day, I didn't even make it over to the gun counter on Thursday, the wall of people at the time was insane

solus

welcome, to the NC forum...

i am not worthy as i am truly in awe mate you had the strength and temerity to brave the crowds at the store opening (some of which i believe were still there the second day trying to leave due to traffic...)

did you venture down to the range in apex to shoot out or the one in oxford?

look forward to your perspectives of OC'g...

ipse

solus

well somehow while eating a frozen popsicle, i damaged a tooth last week so toddled over to the dentist to make an appointment, been over a year since last visit so the visit was a bit overdue...

walked in, right up to the counter, young lady looked at me and said "how was the gun guy doing?"

huh, ah she saw the pistol `"nope she she says, she remembered me" (awwww how sweet)

made my appointment, so chatted up the young ladies a bit as well as about firearms and they volunteered the first young lady has her pistol next to her at all times and the other one popped off, they even have a code word with another young lady in the back of the office also having pistol readily at hand and the folk holding the pistols had been appropriately trained.

I congratulated and complimented them on their preparedness advising it was a rare concurrence indeed...they beamed and after further flirting, er chatting, i walked away from the office knowing the conversations we had over a year ago while i was having dental work apparently didn't fall on deaf ears... nice to know our normal interactions with citizens while we OC do in fact make a difference.

ipse

jtitus07

well somehow while eating a frozen popsicle, i damaged a tooth last week so toddled over to the dentist to make an appointment, been over a year since last visit so the visit was a bit overdue...

walked in, right up to the counter, young lady looked at me and said "how was the gun guy doing?"

huh, ah she saw the pistol `"nope she she says, she remembered me" (awwww how sweet)

made my appointment, so chatted up the young ladies a bit as well as about firearms and they volunteered the first young lady has her pistol next to her at all times and the other one popped off, they even have a code word with another young lady in the back of the office also having pistol readily at hand and the folk holding the pistols had been appropriately trained.

I congratulated and complimented them on their preparedness advising it was a rare concurrence indeed...they beamed and after further flirting, er chatting, i walked away from the office knowing the conversations we had over a year ago while i was having dental work apparently didn't fall on deaf ears... nice to know our normal interactions with citizens while we OC do in fact make a difference.

ipse

Care to share what dental office this is so us fellow Goldsborians(?) can be sure to support gun friendly establishments. AKA I hate the dentists and pretty ladies with guns would make it a bit easier ;)