• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need a new handgun for the Mrs.

slowfiveoh

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
As someome who has seen combat....never needing to fire any rounds ever is the best of all outcomes.

You & the Mrs should read this.....might help....just sayin.....

http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal%20Ballistics%20as%20viewed%20in%20a%20morgue.htm

I have read this thoroughly, as I have been a solid lurker here for about 2 months now, and came across it in another thread.

I enjoy this guys input, and he is certainly very knowledgeable. However, in my experience, there are caveats that should be thoroughly discussed when considering round KE and ballistics.

A lot of people have made negative commentary about the M16/4, in consideration to the round, as well as the weapons operation. It is my experience that like a lot of normal people, there are sometimes some people who are "lazier than most" in units, or joined to be a specific doer of specific job instead of being what they are meant to be first, and that is a rifleman.

I have spent probably 40,000+ rounds through M16's, and easily 1k+ through M203's, and MK19 Mod 3's. I have also qualified on the M2, as well as the M249. My specialties however reside with the M16A2, M203and the MK19 Mod 3.

In my experience the M16 is simply put, one of the finest rifles you can ever fire. The sights are simple and effective, the weight is light.The magazine capacity is great, and the action is parallel to the barrel. I have however witnessed probably 100 or so soldiers at least, who simply refused, for whatever reason, to maintain their weapons. Anybody with a AR can attest that breakdown is simple, maintenance is easy,and key areas aren't that hard to clean. Furthermore, the ballistic qualities of the 5.56 are superb. Coupling that round, with Stoners system, is pretty much as effective a rifle as one can get. For those who are not aware, US Marines were investigated in Fallujah because the majority of opfor was killed by rounds to the head. It was simply found that coupled with the US Marine Corps training program, the M16/4 is simply put, the deadliest infantry rifle in the world, period.

What am I trying to say? I am saying that while the KE or ballistics of the rounds compared by the gentlemen in his analysis of cadavers is insightful, it may not tell the story of how "effective" a weapon truly is. The revelation that .45 ACP, and .357's were extremely effective does not shock anybody I'm sure. Nor does the effectiveness of the .38. For self defense purposes, the referenced rounds are great I am sure, but I am truly weighing out the options, and considering a "mouse" round now. With a bit of range time, I'm sure the Mrs. would do just fine with a 9mm for example. Heck, the more "fun" a weapon is to fire as opposed to "punishing", the more the Mrs. may want to go to the range with me.

Can't beat that wih a stick, am I right? :D:p

Regular_Joe

imported post

It sounds tough for you guys to get away to a range, but maybe she can invest some time visiting gun shops. The more she can hold and evaluate for weight, fit, feel, balance..., the better. Once she has narrowed her selection down, then try to hit a couple of ranges that rent weapons.

My wife spent a couple of months before she selected the Sig P239 in 9mm. The Glocks were to "chunky" for her small hands, and the M&P and XD slides were difficult for her to lock back. She spent some time in the military and the little revolvers just didn't play much into the picture - although it was important that she handled several at a shop to get a feel for them.

Several of the compacts were shorter framed, but used the same difficult slide and wide control dimensions. Also, she didn't like having to rely on a mag extension to support the little finger.

She wanted a pistol that she could get her hands around - the P239 has a single-stack mag which makes for a slim grip - perfect for her hands. The controls are easy to operate and well within her grip reach. Slide is easy to rack and lock. She was a bit uneasy at first with the lack of an external safety, but in her words, was "one less thing to worry about when things get serious".

The factory sights - round white ball on front, horizontal line on rear - make target acquisition natural. The P239 also came in 3-dot night sights, but the sights looked faded and at one indoor range, were difficult to see.

After watching her fire several full size semiautos, it is amazing how easy she puts rounds down range in a tight group with this Sig. The recoil is light, and she can re-acquire quickly.

239.gif

Fobus, Galco and Bianchi make nice holsters, but she finally decided to get Sig's factory Serpa-like model. She thought this was comfortable, easy to draw/holster and she liked the retention button.

P239-Holster-detail.jpg

Good luck to both of you with the hunt! Let us know what she decides!