• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Some Advice Selecting A Handgun

Trophimus

Likely one handgun will not be the end of your eventual collection. Many options are noted here, and most are very good guns. In fact, although I don't own one, my best friend has many of the modern guns available and he swears by the CZ for accuracy. But for now if you want just one gun that is a) a good range gun b) a good home protection gun c) possibly a CCW gun or OC gun for ambulating about d) absolutely reliable with almost all ammo, which is cheap (relatively) and widely available e) fair to good on accuracy f) not too expensive g) long term durable h) good holster options from Glock holsters to Blackhawk Serpa and many others--then in my opinion buy a Glock 19. Every gun enthusiast that I know will not dis the G19..and others on YouTube Videos (see 'My 5 top guns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0_k-PRdQbs') agree. Glock 19 is like the navy blazer in a man's wardrobe--the iconic essential handgun. They are so well made they will outlast you, and shoot rocks if necessary.

Last edited:

230therapy

First, if it's a self-defense/carry gun, then it's going to get scratched and dinged. Unload it and pitch it in the dirt.

You're going to run that slide off your belt, shoe, and random objects during one handed drills. Clearing jams (or more likely, learning to clear jams you've previously setup since the P99 is very reliable) will also cause wear on the finish. Just moving around all day is going to result in the occasional "thump". The holster is going to wear on the finish over time. If you do your job right, it'll look quite cool after 10,000 rounds and a gazillion practice draws.

Keep your collector guns in the safe and your carry gun on your belt.

As for training ammo: www.ammoengine.com

Check out Military Shooters. They have 1000 round lots of Brown Bear 9x19mm FMJ for around $190 shipped.

Winchester USA is okay ammo, as is CCI Blazer. I wouldn't use either for defense, but the price is usually very competitive.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
But for now if you want just one gun that is a) a good range gun b) a good home protection gun c) possibly a CCW gun or OC gun for ambulating about d) absolutely reliable with almost all ammo, which is cheap (relatively) and widely available e) fair to good on accuracy f) not too expensive g) long term durable h) good holster options from Glock holsters to Blackhawk Serpa and many others--then in my opinion buy a Glock 19. Every gun enthusiast that I know will not dis the G19..and others on YouTube Videos (see 'My 5 top guns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0_k-PRdQbs') agree. Glock 19 is like the navy blazer in a man's wardrobe--the iconic essential handgun. They are so well made they will outlast you, and shoot rocks if necessary.

What about a Glock 32? Just get a 9mm conversion barrel and some g19 mags and you're set to shoot two calibers. I paid about $580 for my used G32 that included $50 shipping and transfer fees, and $150 for a barrel, thread protector, and a magazine.

Pic of a G32 with a 9mm barrel.

threadedglocks.jpg

1245A Defender

soooo??

thanks for the up date,
congrats on the new job,
tell us all about the shooting, when you get to!

been holding my breath,, starting to turn blue...
i know you got your gun, and ammo,,,,
so where is your report?
inquiring minds want to know.
did you shoot it? more than once?
get a holster yet? apply for your permit?
hows the new job working out for you?
tell us everything!

Jack House

New job is great. Haven't had a chance to take it out to the range yet. :cry:

Going to try to go to this class thing this weekend, but not sure if I'll be able to. I would need to buy 300rds, a holster, mag pouches and an extra mag. I'd also have to leave work early, which shouldn't be a problem. On top of that, I need to go get that CHL class taken care of, and I'd really like to be able to send in my app this week.

I work nightshift, which presents another problem. Most of the classes for the permit are during days that I work, which would be fine as I can go to them and still get back to work in time, however, I would be dead tired since they are 10-12 hour classes and I would be foregoing sleep for them. Stupid day walkers. *shakes fist*

I have to get my driver's license this week and get some car insurance. I have no idea how much that is going to cost, will be a lot since I am still under 25. Stupid ageist assholes. *shakes fist*

So much to spend money on, so little money to spend.

since9

Campaign Veteran
First, if it's a self-defense/carry gun, then it's going to get scratched and dinged. Unload it and pitch it in the dirt.

You're going to run that slide off your belt, shoe, and random objects during one handed drills. Clearing jams (or more likely, learning to clear jams you've previously setup since the P99 is very reliable) will also cause wear on the finish. Just moving around all day is going to result in the occasional "thump". The holster is going to wear on the finish over time. If you do your job right, it'll look quite cool after 10,000 rounds and a gazillion practice draws.

Sounds like most of my furniture. I bought most of it for either nickels, or it was given away. I've taken good care of it and keep running across stuff in "antique" stores which costs $1,000 and is in far worse repair (half made overseas and artificially dinged and aged).

I'd been wondering about whether or not to be worried about wear and tear on my carry firearm, though. I figure shooting 500 rounds a year would put just 5,000 on it in ten years, which is just a tenth of what I'd heard some folks have put through it.

Winchester USA is okay ammo, as is CCI Blazer. I wouldn't use either for defense, but the price is usually very competitive.

Reverse that. CCI Blazer are the ONLY rounds which have ever jammed in my firearm, while Winchester silvertips and SXT have fed and fired without the slightest hiccup, and so are my carry rounds.

Jack House

Took 'er to the range today, put 214 rounds through 'er. It's about bloody freaking time. :monkey

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go curl up in a ball and die(fall asleep), it's about 9 hours past my bed time. :uhoh:

Jack House

Yeah. I bought some JHPs while at the range and still have 85rds of plinking ammo left.

Now if only I can get moved out to the country, where I can go broke while plinking easier. :cool:

Jack House

Just a little random update

A friend and I went shooting today. We traded out guns for a bit, and I shot his which was an SR9, he shot my P99.

After firing his gun, I came to the conclusion that I didn't really like the way his gun handled. I liked mine better, despite greater recoil. I just really liked the way it feels in the hand, and his gun with a smaller grip, just felt strange. With the P99, it's almost as if it was made for my hand. This is perhaps bias from the fact that I have used the P99 replica for many years and so was used to the grip. But still, my point is I am very happy with my gun. I think I made the right choice. :cool:

Jack House

Nah, not yet. Haven't had the money or the need for one yet.

I have just registered for a CPL class next Saturday. I was really hoping to attend one this weekend or early next week. But I have to work this Saturday and the classes early in the week are two day, can't do two day since I have to drive all the way out to DFW from Central. :eek:

There is a lot going for Texas in terms of OC! There are some great men right now working to push an OC bill through the legislature, last I heard they were putting the finishing touches on it and it was going to be introduced pretty soon. :monkey

.45acp

Nah, not yet. Haven't had the money or the need for one yet.

I have just registered for a CPL class next Saturday. I was really hoping to attend one this weekend or early next week. But I have to work this Saturday and the classes early in the week are two day, can't do two day since I have to drive all the way out to DFW from Central. :eek:

There is a lot going for Texas in terms of OC! There are some great men right now working to push an OC bill through the legislature, last I heard they were putting the finishing touches on it and it was going to be introduced pretty soon. :monkey

Lets hope that it passes, keep fighting the good fight!

The Wolfhound

You did a good job if your choice "just feels good" in your hand. Personal fit is one of the hardest points to get across to new shooters. A pistol that feels good in your hand is one you will carry and one you will shoot. When you get around to holsters, check out Crossbreed Holsters IWB Supertuck Deluxe. I like them enough that I have purchased 3 of them for different pistols. Comfortable carry with excelent concealablity. My .45 rides in one unless I am deliberately OC. It is often not noticed when I OC in it. In Virginia, OC is thankfully not a big issue.

Last edited:

Jack House

Yeah, I'm definitely very happy with my purchase.

On Saturday I went and took the CHL course. I had a hard time staying awake towards the end lol. Woke up at 9pm Friday and busted my ass on a 9 hour shift.Then promptly after clocking out I headed straight for the class. It started at 8am and ended at 8:30pm. Didn't get back into bed till almost 10pm that night.

markm

First gun? Make it a wheel gun!

I'm in the camp with the guys that recommend a .357 magnum revolver for your first handgun. It is, in my opinion, the single most versatile chambering by far. It can be loaded with small shot for rats and snakes all the way up to stuff that will reliably stop a black bear and everything in between. You don't get a lot of rounds compared to a semi-auto, but real gunfights are rarely protracted and with practice, a revolver can be reloaded very rapidly. I'd recommend a medium-frame double-action like Smith and Wesson or Ruger. A medium-frame revolver with a 4" barrel can be easily concealed by almost anyone in a good holster.

There's a lot to be said for semi-autos, and my everyday carry gun is a Wilson M1911 in .45 ACP, but that's because I own a truckload of guns and I can change handguns according to my plans. If I were forced to get rid of all my handguns but one, the one I'd keep is a medium-framed .357 magnum. If this is going to be your only handgun for a while, go with versatility. BTW, for self-defense the 125 grain .357 magnum hollow-point is rated very highly as a crime-stopper. Some experts rate it the cartridge most likely to make the miscreant cease hostile activities with a single shot.

Hello All,

I concur with all the posters who reccommend the .357 magnum as a first gun. The .357 magnum is/has:
  • more foot pounds of energy than standard .45 ACP;
  • more relative expansiveness than standard .45 ACP ammo (more energy + .357 expansion rates equal stopping power)(there are high-dollar .45 bullets and guns that feed expansive hollow points well, but not for 500 bucks);
  • inherintly safe;
  • can withstand more crud and abuse;
  • can be fired with .38 special puppy-dog loads;
  • can be fired with snake shot loads;
  • is a good hunting round;
  • some .357 guns have 8 shot cylinders;
  • a large variety of guns to choose from, from small air weight to long barrel hunting rigs;
  • you can shoot .357 then lend the gun to your wife with puppy-dog .38 specials; and,
  • inherintly safe...just look at a wheel gun, or shake it, and you will know whether it is loaded or not!
I love the Sig 226 in 40 S&W or a Glock 22 in 40 Smith. For a first gun, go with the .357 magnum.

I own a S&W 65-5 and a model 28. My next gun is going to be a 629-6, for the same reasons as listed above, and because I can shoot .44 Special puppy-dog loads to full .44 Magnum bear-stoppers (.357 is not enough gun for Wyoming ursus horibilis).

As for the number of rounds not carried in your wheel gun, think of this: A .45 ACP 240 grain bullet has 432 ft. pounds of energy. A lightly loaded .44 magnum 240 grain bullet has 833 ft. lbs. of energy. How many .44 magnum rounds do you need to stop the BG? Just wing-em, and they will go down!

markm