• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Neenah PD take on OC.

Fallschirjmäger

So, no one has noticed this little tidbit yet?
As you know, the 2nd Amendment gives every citizen the right to "Bear Arms."

I thought the Bill of Rights protected rights, not granted them. As I recall, it's a prohibition on Government, not a grant to the People.

AaronS

I can't say would send a letter asking about a policy that is already defined, but I also do not see anything wrong with the response that was posted from the Neenah Pd. I think officer was trying to be cordial and polite and I would leave it at that. Where I'm from, seeing someone with a gun is nothing out of the ordinary, but maybe in the more populated areas, it is an issue. I guess I can't say.

I personally think our biggest issues will be, and probably already are, with our beloved DNR. I would love to see a response from them like the one that the Neenah PD gave, if asked their stance on open carry. I don't think it would be worded the same.

I have sent a few letters to the State DNR, and all of the replies I have say just what you think. The State DNR wants you to think that it is above the law. Trust me, look it all over and any reasonable person can see that many DNR "laws" are indeed illegal. Do I want to be the one to test them... Well not alone I don't... Would I like to test them... You bet...

Carcharodon

I carry in Neenah almost exclusively and am positive I have been reported. I have yet to speak to the police yet. Either they're doing their jobs right or I'm hard to find,lol.

M

McX

"This will be done in a very non-threatening and professional
manner, but until an officer is able to determine the circumstances they
are faced with, their safety comes first"

According to whom may I ask, Mr. Officer?

-Landose-

if the gun is in the holster, and the subject behaving on an even keel, and compliant, then it's safe in my book. besides, what the hell are they worried about? got their batman belts full of gadgets and ammo, radios, and bulett proof vests and all, looks like they got the upper hand to me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He also missed cars and state parks... So... You can carry in your car if you are not "1000 feet from a school" (he said from the school, not from the edge of school grounds) I know I'm splitting hairs, but still...

From what point would you measure the 1000' GFZ, if it made any difference?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
From what point would you measure the 1000' GFZ, if it made any difference?

An interesting little line in the statute states "You must knowingly" or "Have reasonable suspicion to believe" you are in a school zone to be found in violation of it. So, we actually have a law that allows ignorance as a defense, whatcha think of that?

there was a situation in WI where the police arrested a man for the GFSZ violation, they measured his distance at 980 feet or so, but the prosecutor let the case go.

Anyone got a link to that story? I think it was sheboygan falls or somewhere nearby

protias

An interesting little line in the statute states "You must knowingly" or "Have reasonable suspicion to believe" you are in a school zone to be found in violation of it. So, we actually have a law that allows ignorance as a defense, whatcha think of that?

there was a situation in WI where the police arrested a man for the GFSZ violation, they measured his distance at 980 feet or so, but the prosecutor let the case go.

Anyone got a link to that story? I think it was sheboygan falls or somewhere nearby
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...GFSZ-case-(Personal-account-by-Mathew-Hubing)

paul@paul-fisher.com

Protias provided the link. The prosecutor didn't let anything go. The judge dismissed the charges twice and the prosecutor figured it was a losing proposition.

This is why you should NEVER try to figure out where a school zone is.

Landose_theghost

if the gun is in the holster, and the subject behaving on an even keel, and compliant, then it's safe in my book. besides, what the hell are they worried about? got their batman belts full of gadgets and ammo, radios, and bulett proof vests and all, looks like they got the upper hand to me.

That's what I'm saying. That's about enuff of all this "Officer Safety" stuff, I mean at the end of the day, anyone who is LE, decided at some point, to become LE, and they should know the risks. Disarming a law abiding citizen, for being just that makes NOONE, (let alone the officer) "safer" maybe he/she "feels" safer, but that's about it. And honestly I'll agree with you MCX, what the hell are they all scared about? I mean truth be told, being a garbage man is FAR more dangerous than LE. Yet you won't see one sanitation worker yelling " Woah woah woah, back away from the trash mam, keep your bags where I can see em', It's for my safety." Ahh the double standards...gotta luv em!

(Link to facts below)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Most_Dangerous_Jobs

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galler...tories/2010-04-08/the-20-most-dangerous-jobs/

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/110394/americas-10-most-dangerous-jobs

-Landose-

BTW-Lets get this str8 off the bat, I'm not bashing LE. I just don't like the fact that we,as citizens, have to play the preverbial balancing act with our god given rights, just so an officer can "feel" safer. We are all equal, like it or not. And NOBODY's rights are more important than anyone elses. LE or not.

Last edited:

Zeus

Maybe I'm off base here but I get a bad vibe of anti police from some folks on this forum. I understand not all cops are as good as we would like them to be and I know some people here have had bad experiences but I also know from my military experience that when I "enforced" things for Uncle Sam, I was ready to kill any mf'er I ran into, until I knew otherwise. I know police vs military is quite a different job, but seriously, look at the cops that have been killed in the past week. Yeah, most were known thugs and repeat offending dirt bags, but one was a routine traffic stop that ended with a cop getting whacked. I just think some people have a chip on their shoulder a bit but then accuse the LEO's of the same thing. I guess that's why I never became a cop. It's a lot tougher than slaying bodies in the sandbox.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Maybe I'm off base here but I get a bad vibe of anti police from some folks on this forum. I understand not all cops are as good as we would like them to be and I know some people here have had bad experiences but I also know from my military experience that when I "enforced" things for Uncle Sam, I was ready to kill any mf'er I ran into, until I knew otherwise. I know police vs military is quite a different job, but seriously, look at the cops that have been killed in the past week. Yeah, most were known thugs and repeat offending dirt bags, but one was a routine traffic stop that ended with a cop getting whacked. I just think some people have a chip on their shoulder a bit but then accuse the LEO's of the same thing. I guess that's why I never became a cop. It's a lot tougher than slaying bodies in the sandbox.

It is an unfortunate fact, that the bad apples draw more attention the ones that try to do there job fairly. OCDO does have a rule against cop bashing - it gets pushed to the limit sometimes.

More noticeable than anything else, I suspect, is the ongoing effort to educate LEA and the individual LEO on where their perspective and methods should be modified to reflect the legitimacy of citizens right's.

hardballer

Bad vibe?... BAD VIBE???

In my personal experience, corrupt LEOs out number good, honest, moral LEOs by a wide margin. The sad fact is that the LEO has gone through a transformation in the last 30 years or so from "to protect and serve" to "you're on your own". I personally know or have had contact with a couple a dozen LEOs in the last couple of years. One is a close friend, one I have worked with in one capacity. These guys I trust. Any more than that, I wouldn't trust a cop any further than I could throw him.

Two lied outright on a police report. (I suspect open carry bias). A Sheriff stonewalled me on a police report till it was to late to use in court. This same fella in an interview for my blog, would not answer whether he supported the Constitution. He said he followed the will of the people. So mob rule works for him.

No I do not think cops in general or in particular are getting a bad rap. They deserve every bit of mistrust and doubt leveled at them. They have propagated an "Us vs Them" atmosphere with We The People. I lived in a tough neighborhood and had a SWAT team; in full battle gear, go in to the house next door, guns drawn, with out first moving me and my family or the neighbor on the other side, out. No care or concern.

That was irritating...

Why do you think that the best advice you can get concerning an interaction with a LEO is the keep your big yap shut? They are ever and only interested in using whatever you say; against you, in a court of law. Period...

Hardballer out!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Bad vibe?... BAD VIBE???

In my personal experience, corrupt LEOs out number good, honest, moral LEOs by a wide margin. The sad fact is that the LEO has gone through a transformation in the last 30 years or so from "to protect and serve" to "you're on your own". I personally know or have had contact with a couple a dozen LEOs in the last couple of years. One is a close friend, one I have worked with in one capacity. These guys I trust. Any more than that, I wouldn't trust a cop any further than I could throw him.

Two lied outright on a police report. (I suspect open carry bias). A Sheriff stonewalled me on a police report till it was to late to use in court. This same fella in an interview for my blog, would not answer whether he supported the Constitution. He said he followed the will of the people. So mob rule works for him.

No I do not think cops in general or in particular are getting a bad rap. They deserve every bit of mistrust and doubt leveled at them. They have propagated an "Us vs Them" atmosphere with We The People. I lived in a tough neighborhood and had a SWAT team; in full battle gear, go in to the house next door, guns drawn, with out first moving me and my family or the neighbor on the other side, out. No care or concern.

That was irritating...

Why do you think that the best advice you can get concerning an interaction with a LEO is the keep your big yap shut? They are ever and only interested in using whatever you say; against you, in a court of law. Period...

Hardballer out!

I know a few nice / decent officers. but I have to agree with you & what you said here. COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: LEO Bashing

....--Moderator Note--
Enough is enough - fair warning

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I know a few nice / decent officers. but I have to agree with you & what you said here. everyone here knows I am a big fan of the Big Brother & his Jack booted Thug internal security forces.

....--Moderator Note--
Enough is enough - fair warning

now that I have the Moderators attention. For the 3rd time..can you please ??? sticky this thread > Planning a CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY RALLY at the Capitol in Madison. You sticky everyone elses coffee clutch stuff...this is a bit MORE important.

Moderator reply

Thank you.:)

Last edited:

Motofixxer

I have experienced a very selfish, self serving attitude from many officers. I have also chatted with some nice ones that seemed very fair. Saying something to the effect of "I don't really care it's not a big deal...but we were called here so we have to address it" But with the total of my experiences and the comments I have heard from officers. I won't trust them until they have shown me that I can. They are trained, fooled and brainwashed to think they are really helping society. Some are only motivated because they are berated for not meeting the quota's that don't exist. I was even told by one out in the middle of nowhere at like midnight that he didn't witness me doing anything but he had to take my info down to prove that he contacted me.

M

McX

dig what the motofixxer says, him and me got some common experience on the subject he spoke of.

LR Yote 312

All I know is what the Chief says is one thing.
What he says to his officers is another.

All you need to do to find out what the policy is,
is to OC. You will learn what it is pretty quick.

You would be surprised to learn how much what the Chief told
you...isnt what he told the officers or the number of officers
that didnt get the memo.

Dad used to say,"The only reason a cop became a cop is because he is a bully at heart." In alot of cases that is very true and Cudahy sure does seem to have its share of them.

LR Yote

Zeus

Well, I guess I confirmed my theory. Maybe we can all get together and vote to have the police just disbanded. I'm sure that would be awesome. :rolleyes: