• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada has a New State Firearms Association!

wrightme

I did the "contact us" link, and saw an error briefly, something about a language something or other. But, I DID get a response to my questions from Mr. Turner by email. I think the form is faulty, but I seriously doubt that they "don't want to be contacted."

varminter22

Wow, I didn't realize that we didn't have enough of them [statewide organizations] already.

Oh, wait . . .this one belongs to NRA. ....

Enough statewide organizations already? That puzzles me. How many do we have? To the best of my knowledge, zero (until now, with the formation of NFC.)

The NSRPA? No. The NSRPA has been impotent (if not dead) for many years.

SFA? Well, yes, it can be said that SFA has been the 'defacto' statewide organization for a few years. Of that I'm proud.

Of what other statewide organizations do you refer?

Note also that NFC does not belong to the NRA. NFC is affiliated with the NRA as the official NRA statewide organization. Just because NFC is endorsed by the NRA doesn't mean NFC is not its own organization with its own goals - which will be the goals of its members.

I would suggest you find out more about NFC. You might be pleasantly surprised. Why not get onboard, get active, and give it a chance?

varminter22

Of course they don't need your permission. Who suggested that?

But they could use your support and input. Why not become a part of the solution rather than speculating on things for which you have no firm answer?

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I too have grown tired of the "watch dog" needing to be watched. And I always wonder if my Dues are going to fancy lunches or hotel rooms.

I this coalition they have such a broad footprint, with safety, (red flag) training, supporting shooting sports, etc. it is a possibility that our issues could take a back seat. I wonder how the NFC would feel about "full disclosure" on these and other items. varminter any input ?

DON`T TREAD ON ME

This isn't about me.

It is about you basically saying that if they don't pick YOUR priority, make it THEIR priority, and act upon it in a few months, they are essentially worthless. Never mind the fact that the LAC is simply one aspect of the org.

Does anyone know, specificly what amount of the membership rescources will be put towards "LAC?" Or how much overhead they have planned?

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I do believe we need a full time lobbyist presence during Nevada legislative sessions.

I think that would be counter-productive.

The problem with lobbyists is that they are seen as hired guns (no pun intended), and there really aren't that many gun-rights issues ratting around in CC.

What might work better (and save money) is to have a team of activists in the area (say, a 75-mile radius) to be a regular presence, to more or less keep the dishes spinning and make sure that the Elect Officials never forget that we're keeping an eye specifically on the issues. One might drop by on Monday, another on Thursday, another just whenever they happened to be in the area . . .

A volunteer is worth a dozen lobbyists when adding up the votes they represent. Consider that your lobbyist may be charged with a smorgasbord of related things, from gun range funding to Hunter Recognition Day, punching the time clock and walking the halls, because this is what he does for a living. And ignoring lobbyists is what legislators do, most of the time.

In fact, if he's full-time, he will be swapping hats between guns and other causes, because there just isn't that much going on in the gun arena. This will dilute his effectiveness even more.

The volunteer is putting his or her life on hold and going out of their way to promote their position, rather than doing other things that they would rather spend their time on. The legislator knows that, and will pay more attention, because that volunteer is going to go home and talk to the friends, family and neighbors about their experience.

varminter22

DVC,

Respectfully disagree.

While part-time volunteer lobbyists are great, very few can afford to spend four months (or even a lesser amount of time to be effective) in Carson City.

As the chief unpaid lobbyist and Chair of Legislative Action Committee for Stillwater Firearms Association, I used almost all of my vacation time (from work) going to bill hearing and meetings in Carson City. And I wish I could have been there more - MUCH more.

... there really aren't that many gun-rights issues ratting around in CC.
Huh? Have you counted the number of bills we had in the 2011 legislative session?

And, I can tell you that some of them took an enormous amount of work! Also, it is not necessarily the number of bills that are introduced - it is more a matter of the importance of the bills introduced and our desire/will to enact them.

Also consider our primary opponent has been the largely anti-gun Executive Director of the Nevada Sheriffs & Chiefs Ass'n, Frank Adams - and he was paid to be there every day of every session.

Having citizens and volunteer unpaid lobbyists show up at hearings is wonderful AND MEANS A LOT! But I can tell you there is much more going on and much more work to be done. There is actually much more to it than simply showing up at a hearing.

Some folks may think lobbyists are "bad." And maybe a few are. But I disagree that all lobbyists are "bad" - in fact, we need them (at least under our system as designed.)

We DO have pro-gun activists around Carson City. In fact, SFA was probably the largest. I did everything in my power to "keep an eye on the issue" - in fact, more. As one example, see the "legislative update" sticky in this forum. But like many, if not most, others, I simply could not afford to be absent from work any more than I was.

That brings me to ask, "How many trips to Carson City did you make? How many hearings did you attend via video teleconference in Las Vegas? Did you roam the halls of our legislature and get a 'feel' for the attitude towards lobbyists in Nevada?"

Will we be able to afford to fund a lobbyist? I don't know. Only time will tell. But I DO believe we should if we can.

You have repeatedly expressed concern over certain laws/issues. But are you willing to actually 'put up' some effort and/or support?