• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New and with basic questions about open carry under 18

tim12232

Shouldn't I rent a few before I buy? What are the biggest differences in the Glock 19 and the 1911? I was thinking about the Glock 19 and looking forwards to trying it out. And as a general rule, is one easier to carry than the other? I know I need to try it on myself too, but how do I do that without owning the gun or the holsters?

My dad is worried about someone getting the gun from me, if I was in a situation when having the gun would escalate to using a firearm by making it available...I know the holster is kinda tricky for someone to get the gun out of besides you, and you can push down with your elbow, but that doesn't necessarily mean no one can get it. Thoughts?

A Serpa Level II retention holster, will lock the weapon in the holster with a finger-break lever. Very easy with some practice, and most criminals are not going to know what it is "Should" they ever try. Gun grabs have been discussed here, and I am sure someone will chime in with the odds of that happening.....very very very very very slim.

The other BIG PART of the ABOVE^^^^ Situational Awareness is something you will have to practice and have become second nature, you can practice this anywhere anytime, buy just paying attention to who's buy you, who WILL be buy you soon, who is coming and going. Some would think thats being paranoid, but one you are carrying a gun it becomes a responsibility. I do it shopping even without the gun on me, I just like knowing whats taking place in my 50-100' bubble!

Now, back to my favorite part GUNS! You will really have to hold these things in your hand and shoot them a bunch before making a big decision. I have a beautiful Dan Wesson CBOB 1911 http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=3302728 "towards the bottom"
The truth is although I carry it sometimes, I dont do it often because I really really like that gun, and I feel sometimes like its too nice for my EDC. If I ever had to use it, there is a chance that the gun will be held for evidence and I dont want my 1600 dollar gun being away for a while.

Thats why my Glock 19, is my primary EDC "every day carry". Like others have said, its not a pretty gun, but should yo ever have to squeeze the trigger, you know it will go BANG every time. Now there has been discussion on grip size and hands and all that stuff. I believe that a Gen4 Glock would fit your hands better due to the grip being a shorter reach. I HATED Glocks for the longest time because they felt like crap in my hands, but I bought the 19 gen4 and it has been one of my favorite guns to shoot, and it feels so much better in the hands now.

As others have said get an NRA safety course, have your dad go with you, and I dont know if he shoots, but if not get him into it! Im not old enough to be a father yet, but if i have girls one day, I will take them shooting! its a great sport, hobby, lifestyle.

Tim

muccione

A Serpa Level II retention holster, will lock the weapon in the holster with a finger-break lever. Very easy with some practice, and most criminals are not going to know what it is "Should" they ever try. Gun grabs have been discussed here, and I am sure someone will chime in with the odds of that happening.....very very very very very slim.
I have a serpa blackhawk, My brother was trying to "prove" that someone could just walk up behind me and grab my OCed XD40.
While I was getting in the truck he grabbed and tried to disarm me. I never tried to stop him after I felt the grab. I just twisted away from him. He was not able to get it.
He know how this holster works, he has two of them, recommend mine.

Point being. Very very slim that anyone will get it.

eringdf

One more thought ... with all due respect to the discussion about 1911's and Glocks (and other semiautomatic handguns), I'd take a long hard look at a revolver. They're simpler and typically more reliable than semiautos (since they don't have a loading mechanism to jam), and they can be a little easier for a beginner (especially when it comes to cleaning). I really can't speak highly of my old Smith and Wesson Model 60 enough, and it made a great piece for carrying (either OC or CC).

Revolvers tend to be longer so I assumed they would be harder to CC in general should I do that later on...I did see video review on a smaller ruger but the reviewer said it wasn't at all comfortable to shoot. Maybe it was just the model. But if I am learning about whatever gun I get anyway, would it matter as long as I figured out how to use it? And Glocks are simple for pistols aren't they? Just wondering.

Explanations much appreciated on the 1911 v Glock and hand size, and 9mm v .45 stuff.

I looked up the gen4 glock 19 and that did look better. Great info on the retention holster and on the chances of the gun getting taken from me. I'll definitely be passing that along to my dad. My brother mentioned yesterday (he is 20) that he is interested in handguns too...I'm hoping I can add the whole "family fun activity at the range" bit into it. :rolleyes:

I also let them know of a few situations when I definitely would have felt safer with a gun on me, which will probably help me out. If i really wanted to I could probably get one on my own but I want my family supportive and on board. My dad is thinking about it but hasn't decided.

tim12232

here is the Glock pistol index.... http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm
there are smaller 9mm glocks such as the G26. I wouldnt recommend a .40 because regardless of what alot of people say, its a snappy "recoil" round, especially in a smaller gun. Yes Glocks are the simplest gun out there if you ask me, anyone with even one brain cell still functioning can shoot it:D Yes the gen4 is the nicest glock for smaller handed people, this is coming from someone who vowed at 21 to never own a glock....I was ignorant, now its one of my favorite guns.

To sum up calibers and other will add i am sure,
9mm, snap up but very controllable, most guns will hold around 15 rounds
.40 S&W very sharp snap, uncomfortable to some, most guns will hold 11-13 rounds
.45 ACP noticeable recoil, but more of a push back then up, comfortable to many especially with a metal framed gun. most will hold 8-10.

If you are interested I believe there is a Charlotte Area open carry meet up coming up soon. I dont know if your close to the area, but we will be eating and then going to a range to shoot. If we end up at Shooters Express in Belmont, they have rental guns there, and Im sure people here would let you try some of theirs "maybe". Bring your dad and brother, so they can see and be comfortable with the gun community. I think the info is at the top of the NC forum.

eringdf

Great, thanks!! Are there ever any meets closer to Raleigh? That's at least a 3 hour drive for us...if he's not interested in a course I doubt he'll want to have 6 hours of driving in a day for something he's skeptical about.

Anybody else run into family that were critical? What did you say? I feel like self defense is plenty reason enough (and the fact that a taser can only be shot once, and both a taser and pepper spray has to be close proximity), and added to the fun of learning a hobby (and constitutional right), why not?

love_my_old_smiths

Revolvers tend to be longer so I assumed they would be harder to CC in general should I do that later on...I did see video review on a smaller ruger but the reviewer said it wasn't at all comfortable to shoot. Maybe it was just the model. But if I am learning about whatever gun I get anyway, would it matter as long as I figured out how to use it? And Glocks are simple for pistols aren't they? Just wondering.

Revolvers come in all shapes and sizes. A compact model chambered in 357 with a 2.5" barrel would conceal just fine. Again - a lot will come down to what is comfortable in your hands.

Glock makes a fine gun and are used by many law enforcement agencies. You wouldn't go wrong with one.

I also let them know of a few situations when I definitely would have felt safer with a gun on me, which will probably help me out. If i really wanted to I could probably get one on my own but I want my family supportive and on board. My dad is thinking about it but hasn't decided.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's also fine to approach this on your own. Whatever feels most comfortable and safe to you.

Mike

ArmySoldier22

Revolvers come in all shapes and sizes. A compact model chambered in 357 with a 2.5" barrel would conceal just fine. Again - a lot will come down to what is comfortable in your hands.

Glock makes a fine gun and are used by many law enforcement agencies. You wouldn't go wrong with one.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's also fine to approach this on your own. Whatever feels most comfortable and safe to you.

Mike

Glocks are a great firearm. But the things that make them so great for some people, are the very things that cause others to hate them. A lot of law enforcement agencies do use them, but at the same time, a lot no longer use them because their officers weren't properly trained and were having negligent discharges lol. The principles that come with firing any weapon, are a lot more prominent in glocks. You should never have your finger on the trigger unless you intend to pull it. Most guns have a safety to keep this from happening "accidentally", glocks don't. So you really need to make sure you properly train yourself. They also don't have any hammer at all to pull back, and for some reason there are some people that don't like that. I carry a G23, .40, and I love it. As was mentioned earlier on, the .40 glock does have more of a "snap" to it than the other calibers. I don't know why this is to be honest, but once you're used to it, it's not really an issue.

Most importantly, once you settle with what you want, train and train and train. Spend as much time as you can at the range. Practice drawing from the holster at home "unloaded". Your gun should be an extension of yourself and you should know it as well as you know any part of your body. Another tip since you're new to firearms. Whenever you're holding your gun, keep your finger parallel with the trigger weld. Never place your finger on the trigger until you have a target in sights and you're ready to pull the trigger. I know that sounds pretty obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many "accidental" shootings have been caused because somebody had their finger on the trigger when it shouldn't have been. Good luck with everything though, I know you'll do fine :)

spiderjohn

Glocks are a great firearm. But the things that make them so great for some people, are the very things that cause others to hate them. A lot of law enforcement agencies do use them, but at the same time, a lot no longer use them because their officers weren't properly trained and were having negligent discharges lol.

My personal preference, but I think Glocks are an okay firearm. Ergonomically, they are horrible (at least for me). Okay, I admit it...I'm a Glock hater. :lol: Please don't settle on a Glock because they are the "in" firearm. Or because a lot of law enforcement agencies use them. I would bet the deciding factor in them choosing them is because they got a better deal.

Best thing to do is go to a range and rent several different types and brands of firearms. I think you will find that the Glock is just a blocky piece of polymer that shoots bullets. :uhoh: Okay, just joking. Seriously, try the Springfield XD or XDm line. It is also a polymer handgun but with much better ergonomics, grip safety, and is much more accurate at least in my hands.

love_my_old_smiths

Seriously, try the Springfield XD or XDm line. It is also a polymer handgun but with much better ergonomics, grip safety, and is much more accurate at least in my hands.

I've heard really good things about the XD and XDm, and I had the chance to hold a few this weekend at the gun show. Definitely felt comfortable to hold.

I just can't get past all the plastic, and I want to lump them in the same "ugly" category as Glocks. It's irrational and based in nothing resembling logic, I know ... I just prefer guns that are made out of metal.

That said, virtually everything I've heard about the XD's has been positive, and I'll respectfully shuddup about ugly guns now. :banana:

Mike

eringdf

Thanks all for the great info!! I guess my next step is getting myself into a class at a range, or finding a group meeting up in Raleigh to go with. I'd like to take a class so I'll work on that next.

Thanks again!

love_my_old_smiths

You were asking about places to take a class, and ranges local to Raleigh.

The Wake County Firearms Education & Training Center is an excellent range that is run by the county. The downside for you is that they do NOT rent firearms there (you have to bring your own), but they do offer some classes that you may be interested in, including their "First Steps Pistol" class. I noticed on their website that they have a class coming up on December 4th, and it's just for women. Might be a great place for you to start (and it's very reasonably priced at $45). Here's a link:

http://www.wakegov.com/firingrange/default.htm

Click on "Training Class Descriptions" and "Training Class Schedules" on the left to see what I'm talking about.

Come to think of it, this would probably be the *perfect* first class for you if you can make it. You don't have to have a handgun to take this class, and you won't be taking the class at a gun shop that has an additional incentive to recommend products that they sell.

There's a shop with a shooting range called "PDHSC" (Personal Defense & Handgun Safety Center) located in Garner. I haven't used their range but I do occasionally stop in there for supplies. They offer a basic handgun class for $80. Not sure what that includes. But once you're a bit more comfortable with shooting, this may be a place for you to go to rent a few different weapons to try out.

http://www.pdhsc.com/

Eagle 1 also has a range and rents guns. I haven't been in this store yet, but their website seems to be pretty informative and they also appear to offer classes. Website is:

http://eagle1supply.com/

Those are the local ranges I know of. There may be others; I think there might be a shop in Oxford (about an hour north of Raleigh), but I haven't taken the time to research it yet.

Mike

gsxrman

Some leos may try to pin him with cc under 21 if the firearm isn't on the passenger seat where it can be seen in three directions.

I actually had a few troopers "hassle" me for the fact they couldn't see my handgun in the passenger seat.. I keep mine on my dash now. (I have a nice little compartment up there.) But you are right, I'd hate to have my gun smack me in the face during a wreck.. (IMHO secured in a holster seems much safer.)

WalkingWolf

I actually had a few troopers "hassle" me for the fact they couldn't see my handgun in the passenger seat.. I keep mine on my dash now. (I have a nice little compartment up there.) But you are right, I'd hate to have my gun smack me in the face during a wreck.. (IMHO secured in a holster seems much safer.)

What do you mean by "hassle"? Were you charged or arrested? Seems if they could arrest they would, because they don't like it and express disdain is their problem.