• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New gun for wife

WalkingWolf

I find that I prefer the DA trigger on a Smith over that on a Colt, or at least the from-the-factory trigger. The Colt trigger "stacks"(meaning the pull weight increases) right before it breaks and the hammer drops. By contrast, the S&W is perfectly linear across the entire pull(except for J frames, which have a slight drop-off right before the break)/ When I first bought my Colt, I couldn't hit anything with it in DA. Dry firing showed me that I was jerking it off target. I can shoot it accurately now in DA, but have to "stage" the trigger and verify the sight picture before pulling it all the way back. YMMV. I do think, however, that a Colt trigger is probably has a smoother feel at least from the factory than an S&W, although the difference to me is slight.

The Rugers I've tried stack to about the middle of the stroke, and then the pull weight falls until the trigger breaks. I don't have one and haven't practiced with them all that much, but I've found that my double action accuracy with a Ruger is much worse than it was with a Colt before I learned to shoot it well. Someone who practices enough with a Ruger could probably get use to it. The trigger on them is at least better than it is on my dad's 9mm S&W Sigma :)
I prefer if a trigger stacks to get a tad stiffer towards the end of the stroke, to me the Rugers feel like hitting a patch of ice just before the end. I owned one, and could shoot it fine, just didn't like it. I traded it for the conversion of my model 28 to 44 spl. a good trade.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I carried a model 28 for a frist duty gun that was issued to be. I soon brought a stainless securtiy six just for the weight saveing it did a smoothing job on the action and went on to win some matchs with it.

Not a great S@W or Colt trigger but very useable. Some of the S@W triggers I used are unbeliveale Colt triggers even more so.

I carried the ruger for 8 years then we went to semi autos. I have owned the ruger now for over 30 years and have well over 50000 rounds through it 90% target loads.

I own several K frames and a couple of L frames nothing wrong with them at all.

I also have a marlin carbine in 357 1830fps with a 158 remsp works well not my main deer gun but have taken several deer with it. A nice compact rifle for roaming the woods.

I always tell all the auto shooters if you learn to shoot a double action revolver accurately useing the double action you can shoot any handgun.

They are really surprized when I shoot the 500S@W double action and out shoot them when they are using the single action mode.

But after who knows how many over one hundred thousand rounds I have fired double action.

Not to mention the millons of times I dry fired them learning good double action Technique for every round I shot live I dry fired a 100 times.

Good practice makes for good accurate live fire.

Lurchiron

I don't know... it would have to be a VERY high-end gun your trading, for me to consider; after all my wife is 5' 11", blonde & consistently out-shoots her brother at the range... :cool::dude::shocker:

View attachment 10002

Last edited: