• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Job, New Assignment

Cobbersmom

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I have the newspaper article whereGee stated his thoughts on O-C, and it contradicts the 2nd and 3rd hand information I have heard coming from the officers on the street. (allegedly)
That would be a good thing to hang on to while waiting to see what the memo says.

shernandez

imported post

Cobbersmom I went by the fudge place yesterday and they appear to be open.

Nutczak let me know via PM what day is good for you.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Any day during this week is fine except for tomorrow afternoon.
Iwasnot ableget my new XD-m yet, because I got delayed on my NICS check (but what else is new?)
I would rather wear a semi-auto than my revolver due to thesize and weight.

So whats the plan? wemeet at the lakeland-times building, walk over to Dan's fudge, buy all sorts of sugary sweets, ingest those and go into a diabetic coma for the rest of the day? or did we want to go into some other stores too?

Minocqua does have a town ordinance that prohibits any entry into any building with a handgun. It is preempted by state law, but I do expectcontact by Minocqua PD.
Any guess as if the Minocqua PD cites us for violating the bogus law?

here is the townordinance as snipped from the town website;

Sec. 41-19. Possession of hand guns in public buildings.(a)Definitions. The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this section, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this subsection, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:

Handgun shall be defined as in Wis. Stats. § 175.35, or its successor.

Public building means any church, school, store, except stores in which handguns are sold, office, town-owned building, tavern, restaurant or other building in which the public is allowed to congregate.

(b)Prohibitions.

(1)No person shall enter or remain in any public building located within the town while in possession of any handgun. This prohibition applies to all handguns, including those in cases, holsters, and other enclosures.

(2)No parent or adult guardian shall permit his child or ward to violate this section.

(c)Exceptions.

(1)The owner of any public building other than a town-owned building, or such owner's authorized employee, may keep handguns on his premises as a means of protecting himself, his patrons, and his property.

(2)Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the right of duly authorized peace officers to possess handguns while on duty.

Would Mr. Walker have any interest in making the citizens aware that the above ordinance is bogus and unenforceable? I think the only way to get it removed is to be charged with it, and fight it in court.
Does anyone know if there is another way? I contacted the town chairman via e-mail weeks ago and i have gotten no response, and it is still listed on the towns website. so obviously my request for explanation was ignored.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Make sure you guys have audio and video (and back-ups) as allowed by law.

Remember the Fifth Amendment too.

shernandez

imported post

BB62 wrote:

Actually I was thinking something simpler, like a bullhorn to announce what we were up to.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

shernandez wrote:
Actually I was thinking something simpler, like a bullhorn to announce what we were up to.
:D I like the way you think. However don't bump into this little gem in the Minocqua ordinances:

Sec. 41-30. Loud and unnecessary noise prohibited. (a)No person shall make or cause to be made any loud, disturbing or unnecessary sounds or noises such as may tend to annoy or disturb another in or about any public street, alley or park or any private residence. (b)Any person who shall violate any provision of this section shall, upon conviction for the first offense, forfeit a sum of $25.00 together with the cost of prosecution, and for the second and each subsequent offense forfeit a sum not less than $50.00 together with the cost of prosecution.

Cobbersmom

imported post

BB62 wrote:

Samantha and Shawn, I can do audio and video. However, my work schedule if M-F 9-4. Do what works best for you and if I can't be there, I WANT to hear about it!

shernandez

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
shernandez wrote:
:D  I like the way you think.  However don't bump into this little gem in the Minocqua ordinances:

Sec. 41-30.  Loud and unnecessary noise prohibited. (a)   No person shall make or cause to be made any loud, disturbing or unnecessary sounds or noises such as may tend to annoy or disturb another in or about any public street, alley or park or any private residence. (b)   Any person who shall violate any provision of this section shall, upon conviction for the first offense, forfeit a sum of $25.00 together with the cost of prosecution, and for the second and each subsequent offense forfeit a sum not less than $50.00 together with the cost of prosecution.
Fine, fine I'll spring for T-shirts. But only if people let me take their pictures.

shernandez

imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
BB62 wrote:

Samantha and Shawn, I can do audio and video.  However, my work schedule if M-F 9-4.  Do what works best for you and if I can't be there, I WANT to hear about it!

I have all the equipment for taking audio and video, but I don't mind people doing their own. Shawn/Sean(?) and I are still working out the finer details.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
shernandez wrote:
I have all the equipment for taking audio and video, but I don't mind people doing their own. Shawn/Sean(?) and I are still working out the finer details.
Ah, just call him Harry...

More people know me by my nickname of "Harry", so that would be true. I'll explain the story behind thenickname when we meet, it is kinda funny

Weather! We are supposed to have cold, nasty weather for the next few days, Friday is supposed to be warmer with a chance of T-storms though. I am still getting a delay from my NICS check, so no new pistol yet! :cuss::banghead:it happens everytime I purchase any firearm long or handgun.
I am getting the "U-PIN" through the FBI to stop this nonsense. I do not have a common name, only 2 or 3 other people in the country have my last name, and one was in federal law enforcement!

If anyone else is getting delays everytime they purchase, I cansend you some info on how to stop that from happening in the future.

shernandez

imported post

I'm free all day. Sean might want to come before 4 if he wants to come to the paper.But if he has no objections in waiting I don't.

jhandrick

imported post

Please be advised that the Minocqua PD is well aware that the town ordinance re: carrying weapons into public buildings is void by state law and not enforcable.

The ordinance is pre-empted by a law passed in the 1990's known as the Local Firearm Restriction Pre-Emption Act (I was a State Assemblyman at that time and was a co-author of that bill). The purpose of our action at the time was to stop local governments from "chipping away" at the 2nd amendment. Any local ordinances that are more restrictive than state law were formally "pre-empted."

The Minocqua PD will not, therefore, attempt to enforce what they know is a void ordinance.

The rant against Mr. Walker was very misguided. Gregg is as strong of a 2nd amendment advocate that there is. But if he were to say that he did not want anyone coming into his building with a firearm that would not be a violation of your rights but merely an exercise of his property rights. Any business can ask a person to leave their property.