• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Law Enforcement Member.

Misplaced Texan

Just so you know, I agree with 95% of the views and opinions on this forum, but I am still attacked 100% of the time, for being a Police Officer. And that reason only. I've been told many times, just today, "I hate the police". I can tell someone that I agree with them and they respond, yea but your opinion is no good because your a cop. It's a shame because we could be a big help. I am starting to think this is a cop bashing forum, instead of a pro-gun forum. I was really hoping to join a forum where I can share my experiences and also learn a little something. Instead I'm dodgeing bullets every time I tell someone I'm a LEO. Too bad, so sad:(

ronmanci......Please don't let the knotheads run ya off. I for one am very glad to have pro carry leo's on this forum. I don't git a chance to be here as much as I use to but when I am, I like reading the comments from deputies and police.
On my side of the family we have / had military [ CSA & USA ], law enforcement, shiners & runners. We also have alot of law that we are friends with. All of them are very pro-carry. I open carry 24/7/365 and ain't ever had any problem with the law. I ain't one to spout off bout law bein' perfect, but from my experience only a few of em' are jerks. I DON"T LIKE government and have seen lots of evidence of urban police forces really enjoyin actin like commandos under a police state but unless one of em'' gives ya a reason to distrust him/her don't throw em' all into one pile. If ya treat em' w/ respect and not be nervous, more than likely, they'll do the same. Or at least that's my simple humble opinion. Thanks again Ron for you service and for bein pro-carry, and for bein HERE !!!!!!!!

Misplaced Texan

WELCOME TO YA, from the Little Dixie Area of Missouri.
I am personally glad to have a southern lawman join us here. Especially one from down close to where my familiy's from.
[ Little spot on Rocky Creek right off #1 Hwy., Between Lyons & Vidalia, GA.]

ronmanci

WELCOME !!!!!

We need a LOT more officers to come over to the "light side".

Don't be afraid to say what area you are in.
You might find new friends to share common interests with.

Sorry you think some here are "cop bashers".
But I can sympathize with them sometimes.

I happen to be able to confirm that there are some real "winners" wearing a badge.
But I'm just a dispatcher, so what do I know..... LOL <---- (yes, that's a joke cause I "DO" know and it's sad sometimes.)

Anyway, just realize that we all aren't jaded like some here may be, and your "brothers" in other areas of the country are sometimes VERY different than down here.

And I happen to also KNOW that 80%+ of LEO's in MS are the best people you could possibly ask for, doing a sometimes thankless job, for very little money.

Thanks for all you DO !!!

Thank you for saying so.

ronmanci

ronmanci......Please don't let the knotheads run ya off. I for one am very glad to have pro carry leo's on this forum. I don't git a chance to be here as much as I use to but when I am, I like reading the comments from deputies and police.
On my side of the family we have / had military [ CSA & USA ], law enforcement, shiners & runners. We also have alot of law that we are friends with. All of them are very pro-carry. I open carry 24/7/365 and ain't ever had any problem with the law. I ain't one to spout off bout law bein' perfect, but from my experience only a few of em' are jerks. I DON"T LIKE government and have seen lots of evidence of urban police forces really enjoyin actin like commandos under a police state but unless one of em'' gives ya a reason to distrust him/her don't throw em' all into one pile. If ya treat em' w/ respect and not be nervous, more than likely, they'll do the same. Or at least that's my simple humble opinion. Thanks again Ron for you service and for bein pro-carry, and for bein HERE !!!!!!!!

Your welcome and thank you.

MilProGuy

...I am one of the original cop-bashers on this forum.

I've been pretty tame with you up to now. If you want to tangle, I'm willing to dance.

I, on the other hand, am definitely not a "cop-basher".

Since the horrific and devastating events of 9/11/2001, I have enjoyed a resurgence of patriotism and a sense of renewed appreciation for all law enforcement officers, firefighters, EMTs and other first responders who put their lives on the line every day for the common good of all.

Your personal insights and knowledge will definitely be an asset to this forum.

Sincerely,
MilProGuy

Last edited:

MilProGuy

...if you feel your rights were violated, do not try to "fight" or "educate" the cop on the street as this could cause you to go straight to jail or, straight to the hospital then to jail afterwards or even worse, straight to the coroners office. Do it by making formal complaints or by our court system.

Thank you for your informative post and for the recommendation that, if heeded, could save us a world of discomfort and heartache.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I don't think anyone hates Cops more than I do...

As long as you respect the People, I have no problem with you. Don't expect me to get friendly, I've been shot at and run down a few too many times to call anything with a badge my friend. But calling me a cop-basher is the last bastion of a fool. We're all people. Some categories of people I will never trust again...

Every post I make is considered cop-bashing by the LEO apologists. LEOs can do no wrong in their eyes, to even suggest the notion that a Cop isn't Godlike, is Cop Bashing to them.... See that line up there where I said "We're all people?" Yeah, that's considered 'cop-bashing.' Whatever... It dares to suggest that Cops aren't superhuman and infallible.

There is virtually no REAL Cop Bashing on this Forum. But there are a lot of Boot Lickers trying to kiss up to Cops by labeling everything that doesn't further a Statist Agenda as Cop bashing. They see the 'no cop-bashing' ule as a way to censor anything they don't like. They play the cop-bashing card like the Liberals play the racist car; constantly, because they are wrong and they know it. They want to gain favor with their future King and help them reach that stature. Once they go so far, they cannot turn back. Their hope for the future lies in America becoming Totalitarian. They've nearly won...

I operate in a mode of perpetual open season on the apologists, and being so vested in their King, they think I'm bashing Cops when I bash them... Real lunatics, they are...

I'm sure the OP knows plenty of Officers that shouldn't be...

MilProGuy

ixtow:

I would respectfully ask if you seriously think that "bashing" is ever an effective form of communication in a civil discourse?

Are minds ever changed through one person's bashing?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
ixtow:

I would respectfully ask is you seriously think that "bashing" is ever an effective form of communication in a civil discourse?

Ummm.

First, I think he's saying he's not a cop basher.

Then, we've come across several on this forum where civil discourse did nothing to change their mind. One memorable one (cop) kept right on advocating citizens waive rights, and kept miseducating readers on rights with cheesy cop conversational tactics. Oh, he'd play nice. As long as you went along with him. But, then, out of the sky blue he'd get critical and abrasive. Since he flatly refused to engage in legitimate debate--employing instead evasions, strawman arguments, ad hominem attacks--both civil discourse and everday debate were out. It took relentless backing him into a corner. Not to convince him of the value of the ideas, but to convince him that we could endlessly highlight his slimy-ness to whichever readers he was trying to persuade to his side. Meaning, he put it out there. We just called attention to it.

So, sorry to say, civil discourse doesn't always work.

MilProGuy

Ummm.

Then, we've come across several on this forum where civil discourse did nothing to change their mind. One memorable one (cop) kept right on advocating citizens waive rights, and kept miseducating readers on rights with cheesy cop conversational tactics. Oh, he'd play nice. As long as you went along with him. But, then, out of the sky blue he'd get critical and abrasive. Since he flatly refused to engage in legitimate debate--employing instead evasions, strawman arguments, ad hominem attacks--both civil discourse and everday debate were out. It took relentless backing him into a corner. Not to convince him of the value of the ideas, but to convince him that we could endlessly highlight his slimy-ness to whichever readers he was trying to persuade to his side. Meaning, he put it out there. We just called attention to it.

So, sorry to say, civil discourse doesn't always work.

Very well stated, and I understand where you're coming from; but...did uncivil discourse actually change the cop's way of thinking?

Or did he finally just leave the thread / forum with the same opinions he signed on with?

These are, naturally, rhetorical questions.

The point I was trying to make is that for progress to be made on an issue, civil discourse goes a long way in enabling an opponent to see the "other side's" point of view. Abrasive bantering usually accomplishes nothing constructive.

There have been many times in my life where I have taken on a new perspective on a situation or issue, due to the calm voice of reason that another person used in presenting their case.

Judging from your post, the LEO in question was close-minded to anyone else's perceptions other than his own.

wrightme

Ummm.

Umm, actually, he is attempting to claim he's not a cop basher, by redefining the term so he "fits" better. His words sound EXACTLY like one though. And, according to him, if I even point that out to him and others, I become one of those "LE apologists" that he declares open season upon.

He blanket-distrusts all cops, no matter whether the specific ones are deserving or not.
"to call anything with a badge my friend. "

He claims there "is virtually no REAL Cop Bashing on this Forum," yet that denies the definitions put in place by the owners of this forum.

There are cop bashers who DO cop bash, until edited and informed to cease, and there are cop apologists.

Pointing out that a given LE is bad, is not cop bashing. Many in these forums have gone far beyond that. Pointing that out is NOT akin to being his claimed "cop apologist." Denying that any cops do wrong is being a cop apologist. Claiming all cops cannot do right IS "cop bashing", whether he accepts that or not.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Hi everyone,

I am a Deputy in Mississippi and I am pro carry, Here are some of my opinions.

I feel everyone who can legally own a handgun should carry, either concealed or openly, as it is not my nor my departments responsibility to be your bodyguard. I also feel the constitution (which I am sworn to uphold) gives every citizen the right to openly carry a holstered handgun without a permit. This "partially concealed because of holster" is pure BS in my opinion.

I recommend to everyone who can get a permit to do so, but I definitely understand why some do not (time, money, privacy etc) and I respect that decision.
It just gives you more options like for some reason you want to cover your weapon, then you could legally do so without breaking the law.

I also believe that ignorance of the law is no excuse for officers or citizens.

Not all deputies share my opinions and I am not in a position to change anything, at-least not yet, all I can do is try to educate my fellow deputies as much as I can.

One thing I'd love to see is a FREE & OPTIONAL handgun training course - Probably a pipe dream, but I have seen some people do some very dangerous things with handguns, mainly in regards to muzzle discipline.

I do not like these so-called "Concealed-Carry" badges. They are not illegal, I just don't like them because they can easily be mistaken for a LEA badge, from what I've read, most on here feel the same way.

I will not reveal which agency I am involved with and kindly request that people respect this decision. If OCDO administration feels it is necessary, I will provide proof to them and them only but with restrictions that the information to be kept private.

Carry-on!

Glad to hear about another responsible citizens on the other side of the badge. Someone who has allegiance to the constitution instead of their opinions or those of their fellow officers.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I don't think anyone hates Cops more than I do...

As long as you respect the People, I have no problem with you. Don't expect me to get friendly, I've been shot at and run down a few too many times to call anything with a badge my friend. But calling me a cop-basher is the last bastion of a fool. We're all people. Some categories of people I will never trust again...

Every post I make is considered cop-bashing by the LEO apologists. LEOs can do no wrong in their eyes, to even suggest the notion that a Cop isn't Godlike, is Cop Bashing to them.... See that line up there where I said "We're all people?" Yeah, that's considered 'cop-bashing.' Whatever... It dares to suggest that Cops aren't superhuman and infallible.

There is virtually no REAL Cop Bashing on this Forum. But there are a lot of Boot Lickers trying to kiss up to Cops by labeling everything that doesn't further a Statist Agenda as Cop bashing. They see the 'no cop-bashing' ule as a way to censor anything they don't like. They play the cop-bashing card like the Liberals play the racist car; constantly, because they are wrong and they know it. They want to gain favor with their future King and help them reach that stature. Once they go so far, they cannot turn back. Their hope for the future lies in America becoming Totalitarian. They've nearly won...

I operate in a mode of perpetual open season on the apologists, and being so vested in their King, they think I'm bashing Cops when I bash them... Real lunatics, they are...

I'm sure the OP knows plenty of Officers that shouldn't be...

It's like bringing your new boyfriend/girlfriend who is of a different ethnic background to the family cookout and uncle ixtow has one too many drinks in him and starts voicing his opinion about "you people." :uhoh:

Fabricator

Welcome to the group DS; your original post was great to read.... Thank you for your service; I hope you are able to educate more folks in law enforcment about the benefite of lawfully armed citizens.

Fabricator

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
It's like bringing your new boyfriend/girlfriend who is of a different ethnic background to the family cookout and uncle ixtow has one too many drinks in him and starts voicing his opinion about "you people." :uhoh:

Good thing I don't drink. And I'm not an Uncle.... Otherwise, I might have taken that out of context.

:p

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
ixtow:

I would respectfully ask if you seriously think that "bashing" is ever an effective form of communication in a civil discourse?

It's not effective, but some people just need a good ass kicking. These are the people who's minds will never be changed by intelligent discourse. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it... I don't see anybody else doing it, so....

Daylen

It's not effective, but some people just need a good ass kicking. These are the people who's minds will never be changed by intelligent discourse. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it... I don't see anybody else doing it, so....

I just hope you don't change someone's mind away from promoting and protecting liberty.