• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New low for McAuliffe

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If our battles are a football season, then some are trying to win the Stanley Cup! Small "victories" from an incremental approach can often win at the tactical level. Small victories and a vision are not incomparable. We should not however, make the mistake of substituting small victories for the long term vision. What is of great concern to me is the willingness of some to not only abandon the vision, but to condemn those that have not abandoned the vision , those who openly advocate most strenuously for all of our gun rights.
Live Free or Die,
Thundar
While we believe with a fervor that Constitutional Carry should be the only acceptable standard, there is a need to be practical as to what is obtainable at any given time. Asking/demanding for the entire enchilada can result in getting nothing and offending or frustrating the very law makers whose help we seek. Any advance is better than coming away empty handed. Politics is an art form that has no guarantees as to the outcome.

The vision is there, the quest is noble, it will happen.....just not today.

grylnsmn

Wydle,

There has been discord for a long time in Virginia between the Gun Rights Crowd and the P4P crowd. In your statement above, we cannot agree on what "the real issue" is. For me, at the State and local level, the center of gun rights is Constitutional Carry.

Our current problems came to a boil when politics, gun rights, a PAC, an organization president and some over zealous posters on this board all collided. (I am one of those over zealous guilty bastards) It wasn't a pretty sight. Eventually we must confront the issues that are harming us if we are to heal and come back together.

My .02: ACTA non VERBA - Deeds not words - Constitutional Carry is one of my core beliefs and is a basic tenant of gun rights. I cannot and will not support politicians or organizations that do not support Constitutional Carry. There are others on this board that also feel this way.

Here is some perspective: Question: Would VCDL PAC have endorsed the Cooch if the Cooch had wanted to "close the gun show loophole and institute universal background checks in Virginia?" Answer: Depends on whether the issue was a core value for VCDL PAC.

VCDL PAC made a choice and clearly indicated that Constitutional Carry was not a core value and that opposition to Constitutional Carry was OK.

So, I am all for healing and coming together, but not at the cost of compromising core values.

I write here in a very unemotional tone because that is the way to confront the issues that divide us without throwing gasoline on the fire.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar
The problem with this argument is the reverse of what some people have pointed out about McAuliffe's win. Just like there are limits to how much gun control McAuliffe can impose on his own as Governor, there are limits to how much Sarvis could have done to advance the cause of Constitutional Carry as Governor. Until we can gain and hold a solid pro-liberty majority in the Senate, there's no chance that we'll get a Constitutional Carry bill through the legislature and onto the Governor's desk.

For now, our major focus needs to be on 1) the upcoming special election to replace Northam (as that will determine control of the Senate), and 2) finding and supporting good candidates for the Senate elections in 2015.

If we can get a 2/3 majority of pro-liberty people in each House, then it doesn't matter who is governor. We can pass Constitutional Carry and override his veto. Alternately, we can push for a Constitutional Amendment clarifying that the right to bear arms includes the right to carry concealed without a permit. That requires a majority in each house in two different, consecutive legislatures and a majority vote by the People in the next general election.

We are close to a 2/3 majority in the House (requires 67), but the Senate is nowhere near that strong for us (requires 27).

I voted for Sarvis when he ran against Saslaw in 2011, and I would do so again in a heartbeat. Had he been running for the House of Delegates in my district, I would have voted for him easily. Why? Because those are the areas where we need the strongest support.

Thundar

For now, our major focus needs to be on 1) the upcoming special election to replace Northam (as that will determine control of the Senate), and 2) finding and supporting good candidates for the Senate elections in 2015.

Completely agree! We are already working on Libertarian ballot access for the special election.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

Thundar

While we believe with a fervor that Constitutional Carry should be the only acceptable standard, there is a need to be practical as to what is obtainable at any given time. Asking/demanding for the entire enchilada can result in getting nothing and offending or frustrating the very law makers whose help we seek. Any advance is better than coming away empty handed. Politics is an art form that has no guarantees as to the outcome.

The vision is there, the quest is noble, it will happen.....just not today.

I understand the vision is not a today thing. If, however, we always assume that the vision is unobtainable and use that as an excuse to endorse those that openly oppose our vision, then we are self-defeating.

More pointedly we are sending a message to politicians that it is OK to oppose our pro liberty vision, and take an active statist thug position opposing our vision, just as long as their is a more statist thug in the race. This political recipe will never deliver our vision of Constitutional Carry.