• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No 1st A About 2nd A in School

griffin

Can your job really have the liberty to dictate what you do off the clock, off the property?
Some employers now have anti-tobacco policies. It started with on-property violations (even smoking in your own car during lunch) and has expanded from there.

xmanhockey7

Can your job really have the liberty to dictate what you do off the clock, off the property? What you do in your free time is not their business as long as you show up for work and get the job done without your activity in your personal time leaking into your workplace.

Stainless, good luck on looking into this...but just make sure you dont get in over your head and make any situations with the school any worse. Keep us up to date, Id like to hear what progress is hopefully being made.

If you sign the contract with them....Also in Michigan they do not have to provide a reason for firing you.

jmlefler

As a parent, do you have the right to sit on your children's classes?

Oh yeah...

" Parents and legal guardians are permitted, within reason, to observe instructional activity in a class or course in which the pupil is enrolled and present. A school board may adopt policies and guidelines concerning these permitted activities and must make them available to the public"

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/parental_rights_122553_7.pdf

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Oh yeah...

" Parents and legal guardians are permitted, within reason, to observe instructional activity in a class or course in which the pupil is enrolled and present. A school board may adopt policies and guidelines concerning these permitted activities and must make them available to the public"

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/parental_rights_122553_7.pdf

So, quick question, how would attending a day, or days, of class impact the school's (official or unofficial) policy?

The only time I've ever had a parent sit in on a student's class was when the child blamed the whole school for his behavior... unfair, etc. (This was a behavior program, btw) It took about 15 minutes for the parent to take her "precious angel" out to the parking lot for, as she stated to me while walking out the door, "some whoop&$$". Next day, student returned, no more problems. Knowing that your daughter is NOT like my example, what exactly is the goal?

stainless1911

Banned
I was in a class once when a parent came to check up on the school many years ago. Everything changed, the schools behavior, the students, as we were told to be on our best behavior, things were picked up and straightened around, and so on. In a word,... snowjob. They let you see and hear what they want you to see and hear. They censor the schoolbooks and the information taught to the students, they will do the same with the parents.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I was in a class once when a parent came to check up on the school many years ago. Everything changed, the schools behavior, the students, as we were told to be on our best behavior, things were picked up and straightened around, and so on. In a word,... snowjob. They let you see and hear what they want you to see and hear. They censor the schoolbooks and the information taught to the students, they will do the same with the parents.

My daughter's classroom regularly has parents helping out, as I'm sure your daughter's class does... at least most days of the week. Most elementary schools do. I think it would be hard to "snowjob" 80% of the time. Also, my experience is that the school board, not the teacher, decide which textbooks will be used. Perhaps schools in West Michigan are vastly different than those "over there".
A good friend of mine, a Health teacher, regularly has parents say "I don't like you teaching my kids how to put condoms on a banana." She tries to explain that they don't, but parents are convinced that since Rush Limbaugh said they were, it must be happening in her classroom. So I ask again, to what end are you going to visit the classroom? Also, you've had some time, have you even asked the teacher or building administrator if they truly would expel a student for talking about going to the range with her dad? If not, then it must not be that big of a deal to you.

Last edited:

Ezerharden

I did a presentation some years ago to my son's science class on nuclear power and the security at nuclear plants. I mentioned guns and was asked questions about them, no one was suspended. This idiocy has to stop somewhere, pretty soon talking about dating will be a reason for expulsion because it may lead to teen pregnancy.

SpringerXDacp

I wonder if the good folks at Pierce Middle School allow Little Miss Robin Hood to discuss bows and arrows at school?

Although she doesn't wear a feathered cap or green tights, Waterford Township resident Sydney Czyz, 11, can use a bow and arrow like Robin Hood.

While the Pierce Middle School sixth-grader was practicing at the Oakland County Sportsmen’s Club in Independence Township last week, she achieved what archers call “shooting a Robin Hood.” This event happens when an archer shoots an arrow into the bull’s-eye and then sends a second arrow into the end of the first — like Robin Hood in a contest with other archers.

Read more: http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2012/02/22/news/local_news/doc4f4455aaad4b5659723033.txt

xmanhockey7

My daughter's classroom regularly has parents helping out, as I'm sure your daughter's class does... at least most days of the week. Most elementary schools do. I think it would be hard to "snowjob" 80% of the time. Also, my experience is that the school board, not the teacher, decide which textbooks will be used. Perhaps schools in West Michigan are vastly different than those "over there".
A good friend of mine, a Health teacher, regularly has parents say "I don't like you teaching my kids how to put condoms on a banana." She tries to explain that they don't, but parents are convinced that since Rush Limbaugh said they were, it must be happening in her classroom. So I ask again, to what end are you going to visit the classroom? Also, you've had some time, have you even asked the teacher or building administrator if they truly would expel a student for talking about going to the range with her dad? If not, then it must not be that big of a deal to you.

Even if they don't learn it in the classroom the kid can still look it up on youtube or google it.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Actually, it is. I've also got a lot of BS goin on right now, and past that, the school isn't going to take me seroiusly, they hate me because Im one of those open carry nuts that turned out to be smarter than they were about the subject.

That may or not be the case. Whether they "like" you or not, you still deserve an answer. But, you do need to ask first.

NHCGRPR45

I did a presentation some years ago to my son's science class on nuclear power and the security at nuclear plants. I mentioned guns and was asked questions about them, no one was suspended. This idiocy has to stop somewhere, pretty soon talking about dating will be a reason for expulsion because it may lead to teen pregnancy.

The first good idea I have heard in a long time. I find that refusing to see the problem makes it go away....ALWAYS!:p

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
You're right. Just guess I figured I'd be blown off again.

I don't necessarily think your hesitation is unwarranted. However, before everyone gets all "up in arms", we don't even know what the policy is. My experience is that a school district rarely expells a student for anything other than what the state requires; talking about going to the range or hunting isn't one of them. Possessing a dangerous weapon, expelled. Talking about shooting a firearm last weekend, not expelled.
I do think staff there may believe a student can be expelled for talking about firearms... but a quick look at the student policy will quickly clear up that misconception. If I were asked, in a state where large numbers of people deer hunt, to expel all the students who discussed firearms, I wouldn't have many students left. If I included those who talked about using "faux firearms" while playing Wii, or asked me about the firearms one finds in World of Warcraft, no one would be left. As an aside, I asked two colleagues of mine who are elementary teachers if they have ever had a student reprimanded for talking about guns in situations other than threats against other students; both of them stated it wouldn't be a problem. However, both said there are idiots everywhere and anything is possible. They also suggested to look up the student policy/ behavior code and see if there is anything there.
So, if you don't want to talk directly with the school... then at least try to get a copy... it may even be on-line.