• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No guns allowed

compmanio365

imported post

Hmm.....well the situation in Puyallup, uh, still in Washington as far as I know, is that there is no problem with open carry and that they do not have to ask you to leave. Why would the situation in Lakewood be any different? Sounds like another case of an ASSistant manager trying to be macho man and keep "that rifraff out of our stores"......

Mainsail

imported post

The way she explained it to me was this; Wal-Mart does have some ‘universal’ corporate policies, but since firearms laws vary widely from state to state, they have to have ‘state policies’ for firearms. This is understandable. I was hoping for something like, ‘mirrors state laws’ but she didn’t mention that.

heresolong

imported post

Anyone know anyone who works at a Walmart or for Walmart who could get us a copy of the employee manual or the policy manual to see what they actually say?

Evil Grin

BluesBear

imported post

I've got a couple around here somewhere from 2003. The problem is they are still in a box somewhere in my garage. I just moved into this house in April and some boxes of less important stuff are still buried. I'll try to dig them out.

Mainsail

imported post

I was called by someone in Wal-Mart security [EDIT: This was the security for that particualr store] to discuss open carry. I didn’t get his name. I found this to be odd since I was told that the store manager would be calling. He stated that open carry was ok unless someone complained or was intimidated. He said that was why Mr. Peasly would not allow me to open carry in the store; that a customer had complained. Mr. Peasly is a liar. I had only just stepped through the door and spoke to the greeter, at that point no customer had even seen my pistol yet.

He went on to say that while open carry is legal, once a customer feels intimidated then I would be breaking the law, and then it is not allowed. He cited a portion of the well known (to us) statute. He erroneously claimed that it said that carry that intimidates is illegal, I corrected him, that carry with intent to intimidate is illegal, and that the two concepts were vastly different. He didn’t seem prepared for me to know the law.

I told him that people could feel intimidated by many things, like someone from a minority race, and that Wal-Mart wouldn’t ask that person to leave. I also told him that it didn’t sound like anything was resolved and that I would contact corporate again. He seemed agitated by that and said “ok” and hung up.

He is claiming that there is no policy for firearms carry.

Back to corporate.

Mainsail

imported post

Just off the phone with Jason Schmitt, the regional head of their security. He confirms that Wal-Mart policy mirrors the state policy with regard to firearms carry. He promised to contact Mr. Peasley and correct him on the issue. I asked him if he could fax me whatever document they have that says this, in case I run into another misinformed manager, and he promised to call me back once he found it.

Mainsail

imported post

I got a call back from Jason. He contacted WSP and they verify that OC is legal. He couldn’t find anything in their policy that he could fax to me. He said he was calling Mr. Peasley next to bring him up to speed on the issue.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Just off the phone with Jason Schmitt, the regional head of their security. He confirms that Wal-Mart policy mirrors the state policy with regard to firearms carry. He promised to contact Mr. Peasley and correct him on the issue. I asked him if he could fax me whatever document they have that says this, in case I run into another misinformed manager, and he promised to call me back once he found it.

Wow!

So we now have a name - which I think is a big deal because it's not in a tape of indeterminate age, or a letter from *1999*!

So, just to clarify,this *regional* security guy stated that their corporate policy was essentially, "If it's legal in the state, it's legal in our stores"?

Mainsail

imported post

BB62 wrote:
So, just to clarify,this *regional* security guy stated that their corporate policy was essentially, "If it's legal in the state, it's legal in our stores"?

That's still a little hazy. He seemed to confirmit in one call, and then was evasive in another.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
BB62 wrote:
That's still a little hazy. He seemed to confirmit in one call, and then was evasive in another.

Hmmmm...

So are you done with your conversations with them? What conclusion do you draw?

Mainsail

imported post

Here’s the contact number I have for Wal-Mart in case anyone runs into difficulty with a rogue manager:

Regional Manager (this is in Puyallup) Maty Havener 253.770.4399 (I don’t know the exact spelling of her name)

As mentioned, Jason Schmitt is in charge of their security.

I still want to get something from them in writing that it’s ok to carry a firearm in Wal-Mart stores, and I'll continue that on Monday.

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Here’s the contact number I have for Wal-Mart in case anyone runs into difficulty with a rogue manager:

Regional Manager (this is in Puyallup) Maty Havener 253.770.4399 (I don’t know the exact spelling of her name)

As mentioned, Jason Schmitt is in charge of their security.

I still want to get something from them in writing that it’s ok to carry a firearm in Wal-Mart stores, and I'll continue that on Monday.

I'm betting they will give you nothing in writing. As a business owner, I wouldn't. The last thing they need is some plaintiffs attorney presenting a letter that says "sure bring guns into our store" , in the event someone has an accidental discharge or commits a crime with it. The business (especially one with deep pockets ) would be named as a responsible party IE. third party lawsuit. MY FIREARMS POLICY WOULD BE IGNORE THEM UNLESS THE INDIVIDUAL CARRYING IS DOING SOMETHING STUPID, just stay out of it period.I also understand why a business would BAN open carry. If the law in my State was concealed carry allowed everywhere, I would ban open carry if I operated in a retail or restaurant environment. Asking a business to decide whether they want our business or the "anti-gun " crowd is a bit over the top. If I had to make that choice economically , it would be to BAN all carry. Very few folks open carry, so I would just say bye bye.

Iremember reading another post from someone complaining about cops showing up and pulling guns on them whilethey were open carrying in their own front lawn. Latter in a second post they explained he was showing a friend the weapon. Perfect example of (SWC) stupidity while carrying. He was no longer carrying but passing around a firearm. I wouldn't have called the cops if I knew him, but if I wasnew to the neighborhood I just might. Is it legal to pass guns around and have show & tell on the front lawn ? Sure, but it'signorant and asking for trouble, just plain old SWC.