• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Noise Ordenence

David in MI

imported post

Do you have a db meter? If not, check with a buddy and see if you can borrow one. One of my other hobbies is home theater and I purchased one in order to calibrate my theater. If you have a buddy who is into speakers, etc he may have one.

I would start by simply checking to see if you are even violating the noise ordinance to begin with. I read the ordinance that T Vance put up and it appears that the best number to use is the 70db at a distance of 50 feet from the property line. I would measure off the distance from the point at which you are shooting to 50 feet from the border of your neighbor's property and take some measurements with the various guns you are firing. If you're not breaking 70db then it would seem you're good to go if the ordinance is, in fact, legal.

This whole test is really simple. I can't imagine it taking more than a half hour and that is if you really get anal about distances, etc. Two people should be able to get this done within 10 minutes.

T Vance

imported post

If you read the top of the ordinance is says this...

"§36-49. Purpose.

This purpose of this article is to regulate noise control within the Township.

§36-50. Unlawful acts.The provisions of this article are declared to be unlawful and prohibited, but this enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive."
I hate when they use bigger confusing words. What the unlined means in simplier terms is " this list is not limited to the object or objects designated".