• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North las vegas OC question

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I had a really crazy experience calling the chick from LVPD weapons unit. First she has no freaking idea what the laws are. Second she told me if I open carry I will get arrested but she can't tell me for what. In my experience cops that can't handle the stress of street crime and/or are incompetent will become detectives, administrators, and so forth..... That would explain this bureaucrat's answer.

Then I told myself let's talk to a cop, so I called the front desk of LVPD, where officer Penny was professional and answered clearly that it is legal and I will not get arrested, however he advised against it. If I remember well (it was about a year ago...) he said a scenario where a citizen (I assume he meant Californian) would call that you are robbing the gas station when he sees you carrying. Cops not knowing what to expect when they arrive on scene will draw down on you believing the 911 caller.... I can see that, but it never happened to me.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The only place I know in Nevada that has both a ban on carry inside your vehicle without a permit and open carry outside your vehicle without a permit is Boulder. The consensus among Clark county bureaucrats seems to be that the new preemption statute eliminated the registration requirement unless you live there past 60 days. The rest of the preemption is still in debate although lawmakers agree with us that all the local gun laws reference carrying were meant to be eliminated by the new law, specifically Boulder city and NLV ordinances. Well, one step at a time....

varminter22

imported post

Vegassteve wrote:
varminter22 wrote:
And, in my opinion, this ordinance is null and void due to the NRS quoted above!

This issue is being considered/investigated by the NRA.

Is there some more info on the work the NRA is doing? Is it listed on the website or someplace where we can keep track of it?
The law firm (retained by the NRA) has sent letters to the Managers of Clark County, City of N Las Vegas, and City of Henderson. The letters should have been delivered today, or (I suspect) on Monday, December 22 at the latest.

I have advance copies of the letters. In summary, the letters request copies of any legislation drafted to rescind the unlawful ordinances in light of NRS 244.364 and268.418.

I would surmise the county/city managers are given the opportunity and could take appropriate action to bring their local ordinances into compliance with Nevada law.

If they do not, I would guess there will be legal action pending.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In Henderson it is legal to open carry or car carry. I don't know anyone who had problems there.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

98.030 Concealable weapons to be registered.
It is unlawful for any person to own or have in his possession a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed without first having registered it with the chief of police. (Ord. 67 §3, 1954)

That is from Henderson municipal code, but the new law eliminated the requirement to register unless you live in Clark county for more than 60 days..... and there seem to be a clear understanding of that.

slosh

imported post

Was just looking at the NLV code from the links and cannot find the code for the transportation of firearms in North Las Vegas. Site says codes redone Dec 3, 2008.

varminter22

imported post

slosh wrote:
Was just looking at the NLV code from the links and cannot find the code for the transportation of firearms in North Las Vegas. Site says codes redone Dec 3, 2008.
I wasn't aware of the NLV code change. Will be interesting to see it - hope they changed it in accordance with NV state law.

Maybe someone in that area can obtain a copy of the new code and enlighten us??

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

9.32.080 Deadly weapon prohibited in vehicle--Exceptions.

It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation. (Ord. 596 § 1, 1978: prior code § 7.22.070)

varminter22

imported post

Count wrote:
9.32.080 Deadly weapon prohibited in vehicle--Exceptions.

It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation. (Ord. 596 § 1, 1978: prior code § 7.22.070)
Hmmm. That indicates an "update" in 1978.

And is still incongruent with Nevada law.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Once you step out of your car you can open carry.... don't forget to go to your trunk to get your gun first...