• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not very knowledgeable about 1911

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
As the XD has no thumb safety, it is necessary to push on the back of the slide with the thumb while holstering to prevent the gun from going out of battery (at least with a tight holster).

Holstering in this fashion happens to also prevent engaging the grip safety.

Being a 1911 and revolver carrier primarily, I forgot about this. But it is a good point. I also think it is a serious disadvantage and I would not want to carry such a combination that required this.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Being a 1911 and revolver carrier primarily, I forgot about this. But it is a good point. I also think it is a serious disadvantage and I would not want to carry such a combination that required this.

Well, I carry my 1911, too, so I can't disagree.

But every firearm with no external safety suffers from this. The XD's grip safety actually does make it safer than a Glock (say), for precisely the reason I outlined.

mobiushky

Perhaps, if you see any errors, you should correct them for the benefit of the forum, rather than smirking in the corner over how little we know.

Just sayin'.

There has got to be some part of my mind that forgets that posting here is pointless. Never mind. Go back to your fun. I'll delete my posts.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
There has got to be some part of my mind that forgets that posting here is pointless. Never mind. Go back to your fun. I'll delete my posts.

Your post contributed not one piece of information; its sole function was to insult folks. That is pointless. Don't expect me to feel bad. Had you elected instead to share with us the wealth of your knowledge and experience, I'm sure the thread would benefit.

mobiushky

Your post contributed not one piece of information; its sole function was to insult folks. That is pointless. Don't expect me to feel bad. Had you elected instead to share with us the wealth of your knowledge and experience, I'm sure the thread would benefit.

Which is why I deleted it. I started to write a post, then realized it was pointless and deleted most of it. It ended up being a bait. I honestly wasn't thinking when I hit post, and decided that I should just delete it because all that was left was, like you said, a insult. I should not have done that, but I'm human.

The main reason is because I used to come here for information. Now it seems more like a party of egos. And I got mad as I was typing the initial post. Sorry about that. I'll bug out and leave ya'll alone.

Last edited:

gatorbait51

Carry Pistols

I have fired a 1911 .45ACP only a few times and have been lusting for one ever since. I would like to know from you 1911 owners if it serves well as a carry weapon. Is the full size concealable or do I need to get a compact version? Could use a few suggestions as to brand also. Lots of holsters available?

Thanks
Gunz

I am getting back into it and have two good carry candidates ,a Springfield XDS and a Colt Government .38 Super. I like the both, the Springer is VERY light , even in .45 ACP and not unpleasing to shoot. My Super is a great pistol, love to shoot it and find the recoil is nothing . Downside for the XDS in some minds is a 5 round mag and 1 in the throat. The Colt is, well, heavy. Using good holsters and relearning carry are two good things to do.

There is nothing wrong with a Glock , nothing wrong with a nice revolver. It's taste, comfort and choice. Best thoughts I can offer is find the gun you like, learn its quirks and advantages and go with that. There'll be lots of options open for you. As stated, I am relearning, and there are so many good options available now, better than 20 to 30 years ago.

Kopis

if you are gunna do a 1911 just make sure its the original design(without drop safties and other bs) make sure its a full size. dont even look at anything thats not a full size. and shoot at least 100 rounds of your hollow points through it to make sure they work and shoot a good 500 rounds before you even carry it.

I'll respectfully disagree on your first point. I recently purchased a kimber Custom shop CDP 3". I almost didnt buy it because i thought the barrel was too short for accuracy but i shoot better and more accuratly with it than i do by G34. I love the ambi safeties on it and high grain milling under the trigger and on the grip. Really helps with controlling the firearm.

Now, it is particular on hollowpoint ammo because of the sharp angle on the feed ramp. hornady's wont feed but golden sabres will. ALways a good idea to break in and self defense weapon and test your actually carry ammo.

i love glocks and i shoot them most of the time but a 1911 just feels so damn good and they're so accurate!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by g21sfpistol

if you are gunna do a 1911 just make sure its the original design(without drop safties and other bs) make sure its a full size. dont even look at anything thats not a full size. and shoot at least 100 rounds of your hollow points through it to make sure they work and shoot a good 500 rounds before you even carry it.
I'll respectfully disagree on your first point. I recently purchased a kimber Custom shop CDP 3". I almost didnt buy it because i thought the barrel was too short for accuracy but i shoot better and more accuratly with it than i do by G34. I love the ambi safeties on it and high grain milling under the trigger and on the grip. Really helps with controlling the firearm.

Now, it is particular on hollowpoint ammo because of the sharp angle on the feed ramp. hornady's wont feed but golden sabres will. ALways a good idea to break in and self defense weapon and test your actually carry ammo.

i love glocks and i shoot them most of the time but a 1911 just feels so damn good and they're so accurate!
Agree with Kopis and also respectfully disagree with g21sfpistol - think that drop safety and no magazine disconnect have been improvements on JMB's original design. The modern 1911 is built to much more exacting tolerences that the ol' GI issue version - which did shoot quite well though.

WalkingWolf

I don't care one way or another about the drop safety. I have never dropped a gun, but as long as the safety is reliable I would have no problem with it. The mag safety I liked when I was a LEO. I carried a bug and if I had to walk into a fight, I could take the magazine out. The gun could not fire. I have also never had the need to shoot a gun without a magazine either. It is also good to have if there are children and a person carries at home. Have to take the gun off for some reason, take the magazine out, the gun cannot fire.

IMO in those states where a loaded gun cannot be carried in a vehicle, removing the magazine on a gun with that option should be considered unloaded. Not sure that has been addressed.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The mag safety I liked when I was a LEO. I carried a bug and if I had to walk into a fight, I could take the magazine out. The gun could not fire. I have also never had the need to shoot a gun without a magazine either. It is also good to have if there are children and a person carries at home. Have to take the gun off for some reason, take the magazine out, the gun cannot fire.

Yeah, for police use the mag safety could be nice.

I like to ensure all my 1911s are set up to function in case one is forced to resort to dropping rounds into the chamber through the ejection port. Obviously I don't run them this way...

Happy Home

No fans of Sig Sauer .45 here ?

After reading about good "original" guns, and problem "later" guns, and fixed "new" guns, I thought I liked the general quality of Sigs, and purchased a lightly used "new" .45 for a good price.

That is my OC gun now, with 8-round mags.

And it has my preference of no magazine safety -- allowing one as a last-gasp measure to feed a single round and fire it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Sig makes very fine 1911 guns. They also make the P220 double-action in .45, so your post could be either, but I'm assuming the former based on the thread.

Wild West Guns (of Alaska fame) has their second store in Las Vegas, and they are a big Sig dealer here.

I wouldn't hesitate to carry a Sig. If I had to carry a DA, it would be a P220, also.