• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

Steeler-gal

OCing at Top Golf in Alexandria. No issues with the staff but the four guys in the bay next to us (who are already drinking beers) keep eyeing me up. Hate being stared at.

After leaving here we went to King Street Blues in Kingstowne for lunch. My BFF showed up. She's law enforcement but doesn't typically OC. She has a very law enforcement presence about her. The waiter said "Hey since you're cops I have a Q." When I told him I wasn't he thought it was very cool. We then talked about VA laws, training and answered a bunch of questions about how to get a CHP in VA. A very good experience.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

Baked on Grease

Sitting Atlanta Bread Company in the Dulles shopping center OCing. Had a few looks when I came in, but it could just be because I am in my workout gear as I just biked 5 miles to get here.

Sent using tapatalk

Dr Phil

Since moving to Alexandria (from MD) in November, I've been OCing all over the place. I live off of rt 1 in what my GPS calls the "Groveton" area. I've recently been to Chili's, Lowes, Giant, my State Farm office, 7-11 and the Bank of America with no problems. The most eventful experience was the look some guy gave me while walking out of my apartment building. He literally stopped in his tracks on the sidewalk and stared at me with one eye squinted like I was a ghost. I broke eye contact fairly quickly and got into my car. The face was priceless :lol:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Since moving to Alexandria (from MD) in November, I've been OCing all over the place. I live off of rt 1 in what my GPS calls the "Groveton" area. I've recently been to Chili's, Lowes, Giant, my State Farm office, 7-11 and the Bank of America with no problems. The most eventful experience was the look some guy gave me while walking out of my apartment building. He literally stopped in his tracks on the sidewalk and stared at me with one eye squinted like I was a ghost. I broke eye contact fairly quickly and got into my car. The face was priceless :lol:

Welcome! I am just a bit further south than you off Rte 1 (but before Belvoir). I carry all up and down the Rte 1 corridor, and have never had an issue. In fact, my dentist is also along there, and is not opposed to carry, so if you need a dentist, PM me.

Most recently I carried at Starbucks (of course) and 5Below.

Riana

The most eventful experience was the look some guy gave me while walking out of my apartment building. He literally stopped in his tracks on the sidewalk and stared at me with one eye squinted like I was a ghost. I broke eye contact fairly quickly and got into my car. The face was priceless :lol:

When I get those looks, I usually look him right in the eye, smile, and tip my hat (or nod my head, if not wearing a hat). For some reason, it's scarier than breaking eye contact, but I think it's just being friendly. :cool:

And to stay on topic, I'm heading out the door right now for a bunch of errands (to be detailed later), including an empty-holster-OC to vote (school grounds).

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Again on Rte 1 - Staples (a couple of looks, no issues); Bed, Bath & Beyond (great comment on my T-shirt, nothing on my sidearm); and Starbucks.

As I went in to Starbucks, there was a woman sitting in a car outside the place. She looked REALLY nervous when I noticed her - which may have been after she noticed me; I don't know. She sat in the car fiddling with her hair and biting her nails and seemingly watching Starbucks. I needless to say kept an eye on people inside the place, but saw nothing to arouse my suspicions. Maybe she was just a nervous type; maybe she saw my sidearm. Don't know, but since it ended up being a non-issue, I didn't worry.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Had lunch this afternoon with a neighbor friend at Juke Box Diner in Manassas. We were sitting in a booth and my strong side was against the booth wall. A couple came in and sat at a booth in line and next to ours and the man was wearing a T-shirt while openly carrying a Glock. When we locked eyes, I congratulated him for OC'ing and turned to show him my little friend then asked him if he was a member of this site. He didn't know what I was talking about so I asked if he was an LEO and he replied "yes" and when I asked where he said, "DC". He was fine and I couldn't help but wonder what he thought when he saw my sidearm and how he might act in DC (was he in favor of citizens having firearms, for example). I have frequently wondered what might be going through the mind of out-of-state LEO's when they see armed Virginians.

There must have been something going on at the Prince William station on Wellington because I saw a number of unmarked cars and an Arlington police car headed there.

Steeler-gal

OCd today at a few places.
At the Bob Evans in Chantilly - no issues. Don't think anyone noticed.
At Blue Ridge Arsenal as I made an impulse buy :) with my Specialicious coupon - obviously no issues there
Then over to the Starbucks with no issues at all. Thought I caught a guy in line checking out my gun though.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

hunter45

I OC'd at Coney Island Diner in Ashburn this afternoon. I tried the place since I saw that some of y'all meet there every weekend for breakfast, so I knew they would be OC friendly. I wasn't very impressed with the service though.

Riana

OCing right now at the Starbucks on Elden Street in Herndon. No issues.

Edited to add:
Quick run to Staples on Centreville Road - no issues
Ranger Surplus on Lee Highway - no issues
Target in Reston - no issues

Now I'm at the Starbucks in Reston - no issues (so far :p)

Last edited:

FFchris

It would appear that this hospital is an "authority" and as such is restricted by statute ((§ 15.2-915) from taking any action regarding guns.
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/bacs/fairfax_board.asp?lookup=22006

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.
The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency

Do not recommend any overt action at this time but look for parallel litigation later this year regarding another authority.

Thank you for the heads up about the "authority" and I look forward to learn more about the litigation. During our stay at The Birthing Inn and later visits to the NICU, I would carry my empty hostler and 2 mags. None of the staff seemed to notice or care. They must feel very safe working behind multiple locked doors in that unit. It was interesting hearing the baby LoJack alarm go off a few times (NICU babies are not LoJacked, being in another secured area within the unit).

No other issues to report while OC'ing in Loudoun Co. Hopefully, my wife will be able to start carrying soon now that she no longer has a baby belly.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Carried to the Burke Nursery to get some plants now that Spring seems to be here. Then went to the nearby KFC/Taco Bell for a quick dinner. No problems.

hunter45

OC'd while taking the dog for a walk/swim at Manassas Battlefield this afternoon.

OC'd at Dick's in Fair Lakes this evening. A guy came up to me and asked if I had my CHP (told him yes, but not required to OC). Then he asked about the CHP process and OC in Virginia. Good encounter.

Stanley

Carried to Blue Ridge Arsenal then to 7-11. Then carried in Reston TC and then Chipotle. Walked by several officers and they said nothing.