• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, the donut shop reply works.

I OC'd into a restaurant at lunch. A sharp eyed staff member near the hostess asked if I had a permit, or was I police officer?

I pleasantly said yes, I had a permit. Then I said (while smiling and looking at my belly) that although I knew it looked like I had spent too much time in donut shops, no, I wasn't a police officer. It got smiles.

:)

zoom6zoom

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Well, the donut shop reply works.

I OC'd into a restaurant at lunch. A sharp eyed staff member near the hostess asked if I had a permit, or was I police officer?

I pleasantly said yes, I had a permit. Then I said (while smiling and looking at my belly) that although I knew it looked like I had spent too much time in donut shops, no, I wasn't a police officer. It got smiles.

:)
Careful where you are when you use that one:
cops_donuts-742483.jpg

sjhipple

imported post

OCing today, I had aclerk nervously eyeing my firearm. At the end of our conversation, he smiled a fake smile and said affirmatively (as if he was giving me new information): "You're a police officer" (Imagine the way a mother would tell her 7-year old "He's a police officer." Same kind of voice).

I said, "no, sir, justa citizen." He looked annoyed and said, "oh...ok."

I thought it was sooooo weird that my choice of career effected how comfortable he felt. I mean, yeah, he doesn't know me or my intentions. How does my career choice change that?

Another episode in stupidity with the sheeple and their obsession with babysitters and dogmatic belief that we "trust" our rulers, but not each other.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ama-gi wrote:
OCing today, I had aclerk nervously eyeing my firearm. At the end of our conversation, he smiled a fake smile and said affirmatively (as if he was giving me new information): "You're a police officer" (Imagine the way a mother would tell her 7-year old "He's a police officer." Same kind of voice).

I thought it was sooooo weird that my choice of career effected how comfortable he felt. I mean, yeah, he doesn't know me or my intentions. How does my career choice change that?

Another episode in stupidity with the sheeple and their obsession with babysitters and dogmatic belief that we "trust" our rulers, but not each other.
This is one of the reasons we OC. To help folks see that a guy with a gun isn't a bad thing. I've only had a very few negative reactions,two of which I've turned around by good conversation and demonstrating that I'm just an average fella. I'll bet that if you get a chance and go back there a few times where you can interact with the same clerk, he just might come around. Don't even talk about firearms or 2A. Just ask how his day is going and be sincere. Maybe strike up some chit-chat about the Redskins, World Series, etc. Now that I think about it, his query about your profession indicates a willingness to talk, at a minimum. So, you rattled his sense of "how the world works" by giving him an unexpected answer. Just give him some conversation that doesn't shake his world. I'll bet he comes around.

sjhipple

imported post

Citizen wrote:
ama-gi wrote:

This is one of the reasons we OC. To help folks see that a guy with a gun isn't a bad thing. I've only had a very few negative reactions,two of which I've turned around by good conversation and demonstrating that I'm just an average fella. I'll bet that if you get a chance and go back there a few times where you can interact with the same clerk, he just might come around. Don't even talk about firearms or 2A. Just ask how his day is going and be sincere. Maybe strike up some chit-chat about the Redskins, World Series, etc. Now that I think about it, his query about your profession indicates a willingness to talk, at a minimum. So, you rattled his sense of "how the world works" by giving him an unexpected answer. Just give him some conversation that doesn't shake his world. I'll bet he comes around.
Good advice. People were behind in line so I just smiled and told him I was "just" a citizen and moved on.

XD40coyote

imported post

I didn't read pages 2 and 3, so don't know if it was covered. But Do the2 Tysons malls allow carry? If so, any of you done it? I used to go to those malls years ago, last time maybe 4 years ago. Some pretentious people in there, but I was able to get the fur salon lady at Neiman Marcus to calm down and talk furs with me( I am a trapper). I looked like some redneck to her no doubt. I never saw anyone not in uniform OCing in there, not thatI can recall anyway.

Was in Mannassas 1 time, got lunch at the McDonalds, but saw no one OCing in there either.

Heh, heh, how about OC'ing in the NRA museum?

zoom6zoom

imported post

OC'd at the SunTrust Bank branch inside the Safeway at Minneville and Dale Blvd. Two businesses for the price of one! And CC'd in Wachovia... screw their pathetic little sign - if they can't see the two I'm packing, it just proves how effective their policy is. (And yes, I'm in the process of moving my accounts to a credit union).

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
I didn't read pages 2 and 3, so don't know if it was covered. But Do the2 Tysons malls allow carry? If so, any of you done it? I used to go to those malls years ago, last time maybe 4 years ago. Some pretentious people in there, but I was able to get the fur salon lady at Neiman Marcus to calm down and talk furs with me( I am a trapper). I looked like some redneck to her no doubt. I never saw anyone not in uniform OCing in there, not thatI can recall anyway.

Was in Mannassas 1 time, got lunch at the McDonalds, but saw no one OCing in there either.

I've OC'd in one of the Tysons. Frankly I don't go there enough, or care, to, know whicch one. Went to Restoration Hardware and then left. No issues.

OC is perfectly fine in the NRA museum.

XCon

imported post

where is the great wall supermarket? Is anyone interested having a OC gathering around falls church area? Eden place?

hsmith

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:

OCing in Tysons I or II is a no no. they will ask you to leave (as has happened to me).

Mayday

imported post

...and how exactly are we to know that its a no-no to open carry in Tysons? There a ZERO signs di-allowing firearms. Trust me, I've LOOKED for them.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mayday wrote:
...and how exactly are we to know that its a no-no to open carry in Tysons? There a ZERO signs di-allowing firearms. Trust me, I've LOOKED for them.

It is important to remember in most of these places - i.e. malls, restaurants, stores, anything that is privately owned, even if it's not a mom-and-pop - you can be asked to leave for ANY reason. It would be up to you to prove cases where you were asked to leave solely for being in a protected class (ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) if you chose to make an issue ... and it is only protected classes who can bring that defense.

You would have to be asked to leave by someone in authority. An employee of a store is presumed to have authority to speak for that store. A mall employee (presumably security or mall management; I can't realistically see the janitor being the one to do it) can ask you to leave. He may say it's because you are carrying, but the reality is they can ask you to leave for any reason, or for no reason at all.

All that said - if you have no way to know their policy, if it is not posted, and it is not clearly obvious, you cannot be expected to stay away based on a "might", and you have every right to go there for your shopping. Simply be aware that exercising your rights does not make someone else less able to exercise his.

XCon

imported post

Those mall security dont carry gun either so they look awful without it so, they are pissed at us carrying in there. :p

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Anotherfun OC encounter.

I stopped in a convenience store today for coffee, snack, and newspaper. The clerk on duty knows me as a customer.

I was second in a line of three at the cash register, when I realized I left my newspaper on thedonut display. So I stepped out of line to get it, four steps away, then went to the end of the line. The woman just ahead of me, formerlyjust behind me, insisted I take myprevious place in line. I tried to decline. "Fair's fair. I got out of line," I said. She still politely insisted. I thanked her and resumed my place.

As soon as I was back to where I had been,she playfully said, "Besides, I don't want you to shoot me." At which point, the clerk playfully chipped in that he thought, instead of ladies first,children (me) should go first and then ladies.It was no use. I was ganged up on from both sides.:)