• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

November 2010 Wisconsin State Election / Candidate Guide

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Anyone else have any clue how to get Nass to respond? I have been in his district for 7 years and have never heard from him. Kedzie has always responded.

apjonas

imported post

Looking at the pages linked, it appears that Madison has multiple districts for both houses. Just didn't want anybody to be confused.

Brendon .45 wrote:
Hereare the state level candidates for Madison as of 5/26/10:

State Senate District 27-

Jon Erpenbach

Thomas W. Lamberson

Kurt Schlicht

Tony Wickerson

Jonathan Haus

State Assmbly District 79 -

Sondy Pope-Roberts

Thomas Clauder

Carl G. Skalitzky

I am putting together an email that they will all get, addressed individually of course (and don't forget that spell check!). We'll see what comes back.

Edit: I could only find email for Jonathan Haus, Tony wickersham and both incumbents.

AdamXD

imported post

Assembly District #18 has either no candidates or none have tossed in their hats.

Senate District # 6 Sen. G. Spencer Coggs is still in office and his spot is not up for re-election this year.

Congressional District #4 Gwen Moore's term is up and has not yet declared for re-election this year and her opponents are (so far) listed below..

Paul Morel
Dem.
ID# 200668

Jennifer London
Rep.
ID# 200666

Dan Sebring
Rep.
ID# 200650

Ahmed Ayyash
Ind.
ID# 200669

Samantha L. Carter
Ind.
ID# 200658

Since neither my Assemblywoman has neither run for re-election nor does she have any opposition I can only wait for someone to toss in their hat.

How much influence does a Congressman have? Should I email the candidates?

apjonas

imported post

Now let's see if the folks in Wisconsin will avoid snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the race for governor. Those with short memories might not recall that Doyle won in 2002 largely because some pro-gun people were miffed that the Republican candidate McCallum wasn't sufficiently pure. Eight years of Doyle and two CCW vetoes were the reward. Don't be stuck on stupid again.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

apjonas wrote:
Now let's see if the folks in Wisconsin will avoid snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the race for governor.  Those with short memories might not recall  that Doyle won in 2002 largely because some pro-gun people were miffed that the Republican candidate McCallum wasn't sufficiently pure.  Eight years of Doyle and two CCW vetoes were the reward.  Don't be stuck on stupid again.

True, I would rather vote for ANY Republican than Mayor whatshisname (I can't remember)!!!

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

82nd Assembly District: Greendale, Franklin, parts of Greenfield

At the WCI P.O. Box got a mailing today from State Rep Jeff Stone Republican incumbent of the 82nd Assembly District which includes greendale, franklin, and parts of greenfield I believe.

He is running for re-election in the fall. So far there is one democratic challenger.

Jeff Stone hasn't filed his official papers yet, but a staffer told me he is running. The Madison office is not allowed to discuss campaign issues. If you live in the 82nd District you may want to contact Jeff to inquire on his position on the right to carry in Wisconsin and see if he will support the official republican platform. Right now all I could find was his home address and phone number. If a campaign website goes up, I'll post it (or someone else post it if you find it)

Jeffrey A Stone
5535 Grandview Dr
Greendale, WI 53129
(414) 529-5535

If you live in Jeff Stone's district you can email him and ask him what his stand is on carry-rights.

Rep.Stone@legis.wisconsin.gov

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Scott Krug Running for 72 Assembly District (State Assembly)

Great questions Hubert,

Please see my responses below each question. I would appreciate any support you and your group can offer

Thank you again,

Scott Krug
Krug for Assembly

1. There has been talk of required training before being allowed to carry. What is your position on required training and permitting before one can carry for personal protection?

Working in job creation and job training, I am always in favor of at least a refresher in whatever it is that someone is being sent out to do. Keeping skills sharp ensures that we all know what we’re doing and more importantly why we are doing it.

In this case it is a bit of a tougher call, on one hand you have the undeniable right to keep and bear arms, but you do also have a small possibility of someone unfamiliar with the firearm they carry running into a situation and not only NOT be able to defend themselves properly but possibly injure others.

I tend to lean on the side that says in order to conceal carry a safety course should be RECOMMENDED….you can’t deny a constitutional right any longer than we already have, but knowing what you’re doing is important as well.

2. Wisconsin has had a ban on concealed carry for 137 years. Would you support a direct repeal of this ban?

Absolutely

3. Currently vehicle carry is ban. Would you support allowing vehicle carry?

As a former Law Enforcement officer I say that vehicle carry is again a difficult issue. On one hand it creates unnerving situations for police by putting them face to face with a weapon that is not under their control, but on the other hand you have the statistics that say NO person ever has taken advantage of concealed carry laws by using that weapon to hurt or kill a law enforcement agent.

I say that vehicle carry should be allowed but full disclosure of having the weapon must be made upon contact with law enforcement, leading to rapid presentation of documentation describing the registration of the owner to possess the weapon. Once that is cleared the contact can proceed as normal

4. The Gun Free School Zone statute states that one cannot carry within 1000 ft of a school. Would you support removal of this law?

Again properly registered responsible owners are not the ones who are going to shoot up a school, so yes this law can be removed and I will support that effort.

Use this information as you see fit.

Hubert Hoffman, Vice President
Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
P.O. Box 270403
Milwaukee, WI. 53227
Hubert@wisconsincarry.org
608-792-0669
http://www.wisconsincarry.org

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. wrote:
Scott Krug Running for 72 Assembly District (State Assembly)

Great questions Hubert,

Please see my responses below each question. I would appreciate any support you and your group can offer

Thank you again,

Scott Krug
Krug for Assembly

1. There has been talk of required training before being allowed to carry. What is your position on required training and permitting before one can carry for personal protection?

Working in job creation and job training, I am always in favor of at least a refresher in whatever it is that someone is being sent out to do. Keeping skills sharp ensures that we all know what we’re doing and more importantly why we are doing it.

In this case it is a bit of a tougher call, on one hand you have the undeniable right to keep and bear arms, but you do also have a small possibility of someone unfamiliar with the firearm they carry running into a situation and not only NOT be able to defend themselves properly but possibly injure others.

I tend to lean on the side that says in order to conceal carry a safety course should be RECOMMENDED….you can’t deny a constitutional right any longer than we already have, but knowing what you’re doing is important as well.

2. Wisconsin has had a ban on concealed carry for 137 years. Would you support a direct repeal of this ban?

Absolutely

3. Currently vehicle carry is ban. Would you support allowing vehicle carry?

As a former Law Enforcement officer I say that vehicle carry is again a difficult issue. On one hand it creates unnerving situations for police by putting them face to face with a weapon that is not under their control, but on the other hand you have the statistics that say NO person ever has taken advantage of concealed carry laws by using that weapon to hurt or kill a law enforcement agent.

I say that vehicle carry should be allowed but full disclosure of having the weapon must be made upon contact with law enforcement, leading to rapid presentation of documentation describing the registration of the owner to possess the weapon. Once that is cleared the contact can proceed as normal

4. The Gun Free School Zone statute states that one cannot carry within 1000 ft of a school. Would you support removal of this law?

Again properly registered responsible owners are not the ones who are going to shoot up a school, so yes this law can be removed and I will support that effort.

Use this information as you see fit.

Hubert Hoffman, Vice President
Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
P.O. Box 270403
Milwaukee, WI. 53227
Hubert@wisconsincarry.org
608-792-0669
http://www.wisconsincarry.org
Is anybody else bothered by this language?

Dave

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

davegran wrote:

Dave
Me too. He's running against Marlin Schneider who is DEFINITELY NOT our friend.

I am going to contact him and I'll let you know when I learn more...

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
davegran wrote:

Dave
Me too.  He's running against Marlin Schneider who is DEFINITELY NOT our friend.

I guess the question is, is he better than a guy that says no way? Is a CC permit better than no CC or no other way to vehicle carry?

I'm not in his district so I can't/won't answer.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:
davegran wrote:

Dave
Me too. He's running against Marlin Schneider who is DEFINITELY NOT our friend.

I guess the question is, is he better than a guy that says no way? Is a CC permit better than no CC or no other way to vehicle carry?

I'm not in his district so I can't/won't answer.
I have LOTS of relation in this district. If he isn't 100% our friend, maybe we look for another candidate and primary him.

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Just got this reply from him:

Hubert, you're right I was wrong on required registration, every handgun I have ever bought I have bought from a private party and I VOLUNTARILY registered my purchase with a notary signature, having never dealt with a gun issue as a law enforcement officer I was NOT up on the law as I should have been. Reading the Republican platform changes I agree that registration is counter productive to the freedoms that I stand for in other areas as well....My apologies

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not exactly sure what he means by "voluntarily registered."

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. wrote:
Just got this reply from him:

Hubert, you're right I was wrong on required registration, every handgun I have ever bought I have bought from a private party and I VOLUNTARILY registered my purchase with a notary signature, having never dealt with a gun issue as a law enforcement officer I was NOT up on the law as I should have been. Reading the Republican platform changes I agree that registration is counter productive to the freedoms that I stand for in other areas as well....My apologies

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not exactly sure what he means by "voluntarily registered."

That's what is irritating. People don't understand guns and the laws. When I first got mine, my wife asked 'did you register it'? WTF!! No! I used to be OK with a CC permit but I've since decided that WE THE PEOPLE don't register for our rights.

apjonas

imported post

Madness. This is how you get a Jim Doyle for eight years. If "stuck on stupid" doesn't resonate how about "shooting yourself in the foot" or "letting the perfect become the enemy of the pretty damn good." When Governor Barrett is sworn in, you will be one unhappy camper. But don't say you weren't warned.

bnhcomputing wrote:
I have LOTS of relation in this district. If he isn't 100% our friend, maybe we look for another candidate and primary him.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

apjonas wrote:
Madness.  This is how you get a Jim Doyle for eight years.  If "stuck on stupid" doesn't resonate how about "shooting yourself in the foot" or "letting the perfect become the enemy of the pretty damn good."  When Governor Barrett is sworn in, you will be one unhappy camper.  But don't say you weren't warned.

I don't believe that is what he is saying. I think he is saying is that we are in the nominating phase right now and if there is someone 100% that can run maybe we can get them but we must act this month.

I do agree with you however, 60% support of us is better than 20% support of us and 20% support of us is better than 0%.

I always vote, sometimes holding my nose, for the lesser of the two evils. I can't remember voting for a 'perfect' candidate.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

If you live in New Berlin or Hales Corners (Wisconsin State Assembly 84th District)

I met with Dave Swarthout, Republican Candidate for Wisconsin State Assembly 84th District (New Berlin, Hales Corners) at my house on Friday to discuss his positions and principles regarding the carry-rights and other issues.

Dave is a great guy. I was exceptionally impressed with his positions on carry rights.

He is also a delegate with the Wisconsin GOP and he voted FOR the change to remove "permit to" from the republican platform.

I can say without equivocation that Dave Swarthout is a solid ally!

I have not been able to make contact with the other candidates in the race but if you live in New Berlin or Hales Corners, I can vouch for Dave Swarthout as a candidate who is solidly in our corner.

Krug for Assembly

imported post

Didn't take enough time before the fact on the wording, but after the fact and after some more thought and better research I am 90% in favor, would still like to see some sort of declaration process or documentation or permit for vehicle carry...

BUT AS I STATED I am in agreement and will vote to pass legislation allowing concealed carry in WI and vehicle carry as well as the repeal of the Gun Free School Zone, careful what you take from certain wording, as a representative I have and will always promise to vote according to constituent wants and needs and not ALWAYS on my PERSONAL views….

My only differences were requiring full disclosure of having a weapon upon contact with law enforcement and having a permit system in place upon completion of a safety course, (that’s why I said safety courses should AT LEAST be recommended) but I didn’t write any legislation and don’t intend on writing it. It’s not my bill and being 90% in agreement with something I am in favor of it….

If I had said NO, no and no, I would tell you to “primary” me myself….and as others will tell you, Marlin won’t get you any closer to your goal and will support ANTI gun laws let alone concealed carry…

Scott Krug

Krug for Assembly

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Krug for Assembly wrote:
Didn't take enough time before the fact on the wording, but after the fact and after some more thought and better research I am 90% in favor, would still like to see some sort of declaration process or documentation or permit for vehicle carry...

BUT AS I STATED I am in agreement and will vote to pass legislation allowing concealed carry in WI and vehicle carry as well as the repeal of the Gun Free School Zone, careful what you take from certain wording, as a representative I have and will always promise to vote according to constituent wants and needs and not ALWAYS on my PERSONAL views….

My only differences were requiring full disclosure of having a weapon upon contact with law enforcement and having a permit system in place upon completion of a safety course, (that’s why I said safety courses should AT LEAST be recommended) but I didn’t write any legislation and don’t intend on writing it. It’s not my bill and being 90% in agreement with something I am in favor of it….

If I had said NO, no and no, I would tell you to “primary” me myself….and as others will tell you, Marlin won’t get you any closer to your goal and will support ANTI gun laws let alone concealed carry…

Scott Krug

Krug for Assembly
Mr. Krug, Would the hunter safety course be sufficient for a ccw permit?