• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Now this is cop bashing

imperialism2024

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Personally, I think it's wrong to advocate murdering anyone. I also think unless there is a direct threat made against one or more persons, freedom of speech plays in. Saying you're going to murder the family at a specific address is a specific threat; explaining how to kill officers, while completely immoral, is not a specific threat, it's an explanation.

Hate crimes are another, relatedproblem--they supposedly punish a person for what they think. Parole is another problem--it's based on how people who write letters to the parole board feel. People shouldn't be punished for what they think or feel, but actual criminal acts they commit, IF they commit them.

That shouldn't weaken our legal system--a bad guy who says to an officer, "I'd really like to hit you right now," but stands there motionless, has obviously expressed an opinion, and he has the same right to do so as the officer has in responding, "I hope they convict you of the drug-related murders we arrested you for and you get the chair." If the statement from the bad guy is, "I'm going to kill your family as soon as I get out on bail," that's a different story, and the court should step in.
+1

I'm hoping that after these charges get thrown out, the guy sues the relevant parties for their misconduct. Otherwise, authoritarian cities (is that redundant?) will use the fear of false arrest to coerce their subjects into following their opinion. See the jurisdictions in Pennsylvania who are falsely arresting and revoking the LTCFs of OCers in an effort to intimidate them into not OCing, even though the charges and revocations have yet to stick.