• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NPR California covers open carry movement in San Diego!

shooter_tx

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
Assembly Bill 357, to make the state consistent and "shall issue", is working it's way through the legislature now. I wonder if Jim had something to do with it.
Seems to be a very "coincidental" bill number, too..... ;)

stevensonwyatt

imported post

Just heard the piece on NPR here in San Diego. Not knowing much about this issue, and a first time poster, I did have a question that I'm curious about. I heard it mentioned on the show that open carry is in defense of people protecting themselves. When I heard this I couldn't help but ask myself "Protect themselves from what??" It doesn't seem like one needs to protect ones self when say, at the beach. Or walking thru La Lolla or Del Mar. So what types of situations are common which warrant the use of a gun in this area? We're not really talking about South Central L.A. or North Philly here, so I'm looking for insight from those of you that do openly carry.

Thanks.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Good questions and you should be able to get the answers if you ask the right people.

But let me ask you a few questions to make my point.

Would you travel to Mexico during this time of drug violence?

Would you camp out in any Federal, State or County recreational park along the border with Mexico at this time?

Would you go hiking in the southern hills in San Diego County?

Would you pick up a hitchiker or stop to see if a person walking along the road in southern San DiegoCounty was in need of assistance?

Do you lock your house when you leave for the day or on vactation?

Do you lock your car when in a shopping center or business establishment?

Do you or would you get a flu shot before flu season?

Did you or would you get your children vaccinated against possible diseases?

Do you or would you teach your children not to talk to strangers or get in cars with people they don't know?

Would you buy a new car without a warranty?

Do you carry a first aid kit in your car?

Do you or would you plan an escape route and meeting point outside your home in case of fire?

Do you buy homeowners insurance andearthquake coverage?

Do you tell your insurance agent to lower the coverage and increase the deductible to say money because you believe and are willing to gamble thatnothing will happen?

If you have young children do you check the internet to see if there are any sex offenders in your neighborhood?

This list could beendless, but if you think that crime or violence will never find you or someone in your area, you may bewrong. You just don't want to be DEAD wrong.

The chance of the bad guys doing something toyou as a specific individual, are less probable than getting hit by lighting, but do you stand out in an open field during a lightning storm with a long metal rod pointing towards the sky and challenge the odds?

If you travel the country or pay attention to the current news reports you would realize that there are many home invasions and other crimes of violence taking place in the communities where you would least expect it.

Is it going to happen to me or you, probably not, but if it does, what would you think if you could have taken precautions to prevent or minimize the event?

It's only going to get worse when those that have nothing look at those that have something and make the wrong decision to you are your home.

Crime and criminals know no boundries, and take advantage of those that are least prepared or think it doesn't exist.

Trust me, I know!!

demnogis

imported post

Stevensonwyatt, welcome to OCDO!

Please update your information to show what city and state or county and state you live in.

If you do live in CA, I'm not sure what part of. I live in and lawfully open carry in Southern California.

Most cities are rife with gang activity. My home city of Riverside has 7 active, violent gangs (for a population of less than 200k). Most common crimes there are armed robbery, assault with deadly weapons, rape and murder (in that order last I remember). Most of these crimes occurred nearest to schools and college hot spots which are notorious "Gun Free Zones". I remember at least once or twice a week police taking in gang members who are known criminals (with prior records) for selling drugs or stealing cars right by my old highschool.

In my city of residence there are 4 active gangs involved with most violent crimes here being armed robberies, assault with deadly weapons, etc. Homicide is much lower here, but the police also have a better response time (1 hr as opposed to 3 hrs to respond to armed persons calls).

I carry as a deterrent. It has been proven that the presence of a firearm can act as a deterrent against being the victim of a violent crime. Interviews with convicted (and incarcerated criminals) have proven that they would not have committed the crime they did if they knew victim was armed.

It is basically an outward display that you have not only the means but the will to protect your life, liberty and property - and in cases with the family, theirs as well.

Despite what law enforcement may tell you, it does not increase your risk of being a target. They may invoke the argument that person X will see you are armed, and you will be the first target, or attacked and your firearm taken from you. There have been no documented instances of this (to date) happening to Law Abiding Citizens. There have, however, been many instances where officers have been involved in a melee confrontation and the suspect makes a grab for their guns. The fault in these instances is usually placed on the officer for not following proper defensive procedures (as they are trained) to prevent gun grabs.

Keep in mind there are still parts of Rural California full of dangerous wild animals and due to urban sprawl our homes usually encroach on lands filled with still-wild animals. There are also many cases documenting loose, aggressive pets (dogs) that attack people. Sadly these are animals that have been neglected, abused or are diseased and have to be destroyed.

Take a gander at the "Tales of Self Defense" forum and get an idea of the types of encounters people have endured while (and while not) carrying in their everyday lives. These are not instances confined to one location - which further proves that it is important to be prepared.

Again, welcome to the forum, and hopefully you will find more information here to fulfill your search for answers :)

stevensonwyatt wrote:
Just heard the piece on NPR here in San Diego. Not knowing much about this issue, and a first time poster, I did have a question that I'm curious about. I heard it mentioned on the show that open carry is in defense of people protecting themselves. When I heard this I couldn't help but ask myself "Protect themselves from what??" It doesn't seem like one needs to protect ones self when say, at the beach. Or walking thru La Lolla or Del Mar. So what types of situations are common which warrant the use of a gun in this area? We're not really talking about South Central L.A. or North Philly here, so I'm looking for insight from those of you that do openly carry.

Thanks.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

stevensonwyatt wrote:

Thanks.

stevensonwyatt, Welcome to OCDO. Thank you for taking the time to postyour question.

My response is somewhat tempered by previous posters but I hope it helps clarify the reason why anyone needs protection.

I live in a community of about 100,000 that is not overrun by gangs and is the type of community where people want to raise children or retire in their golden years.The streets are well lit and patrolled bypolice.The city hostsevents wtih great regularity to attract tourists and boasts its proximity to both summer and winter recreational activities.Does this Rockwellian image make it any safer than a popular beach?

It shouldnt. The reality, is that violence can and does occur anywhere- In this quiet little berg we have had a number of armed bank robberies, armed robberies of pharmacies, convenience, and discount stores,a teen was beaten nearly to death at a schoolbus stop with a baseball bat, as well as other robberies and assaults.

Your question supposes that there is some form of unfounded paranoia that has affected those in the pro-gun community. Would you consider someone who keeps a serviceable fire extinguisher in their kitchen or automobile unreasonable or paranoid? Speaking from experience, I would call them prepared. In February this year, I was the victim of an electrical fire in my truck. Since I did not equip my truck to fight the fire that ensued, all I could do was watch my truck burn from a safe distance and call 911. All I needed to protect myself, my father and my property was a charged fire extinguisher.

I was fortunate that this was only a fire, as the police took 4 minutes to respond and the fire department took roughly 8 minutes. The consequences would be very different if this was an assault and not a car fire.

The question I have for you then is: Can you predict when you will be subjected to violence and then tell us how you might fare against an assailant armed with a knife, a baseball bat, or a handgun for 5 to 10 minutes?

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Mike wrote:
Paul Cooper is an attorney for the police department. He says the practice is dangerous to the public, the people carrying the weapons and to officers.

"We just don't think it's a prudent idea for anyone to walk around openly with an unloaded firearm," Cooper says.
I absolutely do not understand why there is a significant contingent of gun owners that is pro-cop. ALL of our problems come from the police. When we are jailed, knocked down, intimidated, etc., it is because the police did it to us. The great case in Milwaukee arose from a cop arresting one of us for exercising our rights. The bureaucrat behind her desk is rarely poses much of threat to us. There is a substantial amount of cognitive dissonance occurring in our ranks.

NightOwl

imported post

lover2009 wrote:
I am thinking about buying some wholesale water pipes from this company in China http://www.liangdianup.com/tobacciana_z.htm
but I am not sure if they are legal to bring in to the states? What are the laws on water pipes, bongs, and pipes?
I'm not really sure. Possibly legal to OC if never fired and unloaded? Just guessing though, could be wrong.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

How come this gets to stay in the CA section, but everything from WA that winds up in the news media gets yanked out and shuffled off somewhere else almost as soon as it shows up?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
How come this gets to stay in the CA section, but everything from WA that winds up in the news media gets yanked out and shuffled off somewhere else almost as soon as it shows up?
CA is sort of the forgotten step-child forum, or so it seems. We've been begging for a forum sticky for about a year with no luck yet.

ar15guy

imported post

Cougar125 wrote

So there were beachgoes scooping up their children, running out of fear? Or there were people, pointing, staring, screaming because of an unloaded handgun?

Wow...this state blows...in WA I never had an incident other than a WalMart manager telling me I couldn't carry in WalMart and that was with a LOADED gun. Oh well...I will do what I am allowed to do regarding carrying. Loaded or unloaded.

Yeah, that's what it's like in North Idaho too. I just came back from visiting my sister in Rathdrum, ID (near Spokane) and people were in Burger kings, walmarts, you name it openly carrying. I wonder how many had concealed?!!. No Scared people running for cover, just normal business as usual.
Here's a funny story...
My old neighbor up there lives on about 10 acres out of sandpoint, ID and she just got some new neighbors next to her a couple miles down the road. Well, she was shooting one day and the sheriff's roll up. They ask if she had automatic weapons and she said no. Long story short, the neighbor just moved from California and said they heard automatic fire and the police showed up at the neighbors to listen first. They told the neighbor it wasn't automatic gunfire and that it is her right to shoot. Then they showed up at her house to make sure she was legal and all that but right before leaving just said have a nice day and try to "try tokeep it down"!
I laughed that's just too funny. I Never had any problems while living there with my neighbors. I guess with all the influx of outside states to Idaho people forget it's a pretty free state regarding firearms.

ar15guy

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
lover2009 wrote:
I am thinking about buying some wholesale water pipes from this company in China http://www.liangdianup.com/tobacciana_z.htm
but I am not sure if they are legal to bring in to the states? What are the laws on water pipes, bongs, and pipes?
Kind of expensive IMO. Go to skid row in Los Angeles. You can get everything there that you can ship from china.
Unfortunately, last time i went the shops were getting raided. Google LA and cigarettes.
They weren't paying the taxes that the cigs need to get the special stamp and they got their merchandise hauled away.
Oil burners are the best return on your money...here in modesto my friend owns a smoke shop. He buys them for 20 cents and they sell for 5-6 dollars for the thick one's. If you have a smoke shop they i don't need to tell you how fast those things sell! Now they local Police are prohibiting them which means he can charge more.
Now, I don't think that your are a smoke shop owner after re-reading your post since you said "bong". You should know that is no-no word in the busines...i might be wrong though. Maybe you used that to make your point to others who may not know what water pipe is.
Moving forward, I think you better CYA when importing to your specific state...just check your local laws for possessing and selling. It is legal to import certain things, but state and county laws apply. In L.A. you aren't going to get in trouble for selling all kinds of things, but try selling those same items here in Modesto, CA and your asking for trouble. Get it?

Hope that helps..!

Decoligny

imported post

ar15guy wrote:
NightOwl wrote:
lover2009 wrote:
Kind of expensive IMO. Go to skid row in Los Angeles. You can get everything there that you can ship from china.
Unfortunately, last time i went the shops were getting raided. Google LA and cigarettes.
They weren't paying the taxes that the cigs need to get the special stamp and they got their merchandise hauled away.
Oil burners are the best return on your money...here in modesto my friend owns a smoke shop. He buys them for 20 cents and they sell for 5-6 dollars for the thick one's. If you have a smoke shop they i don't need to tell you how fast those things sell! Now they local Police are prohibiting them which means he can charge more.
Now, I don't think that your are a smoke shop owner after re-reading your post since you said "bong". You should know that is no-no word in the busines...i might be wrong though. Maybe you used that to make your point to others who may not know what water pipe is.
Moving forward, I think you better CYA when importing to your specific state...just check your local laws for possessing and selling. It is legal to import certain things, but state and county laws apply. In L.A. you aren't going to get in trouble for selling all kinds of things, but try selling those same items here in Modesto, CA and your asking for trouble. Get it?

Hope that helps..!
Please try to ignore the spammers.