• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA BILL

Straight_Shooter

imported post

44Brent wrote:
The bill went through many permutations and Aaron Dorr analyzed the various permutations to find the problems. It was his identification of the problems that allowed citizens to contact their legislators and point out the problems.

The bill that was passed was far better than many of the previous versions that were really a piles of crap. So, I consider the current bill to be far better, due in part to his work.

Brent -

You are so right . . . I was told that Roger Burdett of Iowa Carry even admitted this pointin public at the Capital.

Thanks for recognizing the truth . . .

SS

Straight_Shooter

imported post

amaixner wrote:
if a sheriff tries to yank your permit for open carrying, he can get told where to go by judge.

Will someone please tell me where you are coming up with this stuff?!? What exactly in this bill leads you to believe that open carry has been made legal - either with OR without a permit?

The "probable cause" section alone that allows a sheriff to pull your permit if he thinks you are doing anything that endangers the public is enough to ensure that open carry will never happen.

Then you have to factor in that NOTHING in this bill eliminated or removed this:

724.4 CARRYING WEAPONS.
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who
goes armed with a dangerous weapon concealed on or about the person,
or who, within the limits of any city, goes armed with a pistol or
revolver, or any loaded firearm of any kind, whether concealed or
not
, or who knowingly carries or transports in a vehicle a pistol or
revolver, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.

One of the exceptions, of course, is a permit . . . but I am terribly afraid that some folks here are going to accept this "open carry is now legal" mumbo jumbo, do it, and get the surprise of their lives!!! If you do it without a permit, it will result in an aggravated misdemeanor charge . . . if you do it with a permit, at least you are likely to get your permit pulled!!

Caveat Emptor!!!!

IA_farmboy

imported post

Will someone please tell me where you are coming up with this stuff?!? What exactly in this bill leads you to believe that open carry has been made legal - either with OR without a permit?

Why should anyone have to point that out to you? You already found the relevant parts of Iowa Code. Perhaps you need to read it again, this time without your aluminum foil helmet.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Straight_Shooter wrote:
amaixner wrote:
if a sheriff tries to yank your permit for open carrying, he can get told where to go by judge.

The "probable cause" section alone that allows a sheriff to pull your permit if he thinks you are doing anything that endangers the public is enough to ensure that open carry will never happen.

Then you have to factor in that NOTHING in this bill eliminated or removed this:

724.4 CARRYING WEAPONS.
not

One of the exceptions, of course, is a permit . . . but I am terribly afraid that some folks here are going to accept this "open carry is now legal" mumbo jumbo, do it, and get the surprise of their lives!!! If you do it without a permit, it will result in an aggravated misdemeanor charge . . . if you do it with a permit, at least you are likely to get your permit pulled!!

Caveat Emptor!!!!

The way I read it...a permit is required if you CC or OC in a city. If you're not in a city no permit is required for OC. There is nothing saying OC is illegal.

Straight_Shooter

imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
Why should anyone have to point that out to you? You already found the relevant parts of Iowa Code. Perhaps you need to read it again, this time without your aluminum foil helmet.
You don't have to point anything out to me . . .you and your buddies from ICopen carry to your heart's content . . . let me know how that works out for you . . .

SS

Straight_Shooter

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
Straight_Shooter wrote:
amaixner wrote:

724.4 CARRYING WEAPONS.
not

Caveat Emptor!!!!

The way I read it...a permit is required if you CC or OC in a city. If you're not in a city no permit is required for OC. There is nothing saying OC is illegal.

Great . . . go for it . . . It'll be fun to see how that works out for you!

SS