• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA on the Virginia Senate Race

The Donkey

imported post

Donkey has no special knowledgebeyond what is generally known.

Senators who signed the Crapo letter all deserve thanks for what they have sown;

They clearly will have hadmuch to do with the ban's final demise;

Whether it is by final rule, or legislation, or BOTH (now how wouldthat befor size?).

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Fair enough.
Anyhow back to the OP, here is a statement from Gov. Gilmore with some of his thoughts on the RKBA.
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/dbfXybR4xM0&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Mark Warner hunting on ESPN
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/fzs5SK7tx8Q&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

I wonder how this quote hasn't been brought up more often, just saw it now.
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/UiUrLttPpaA&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

The Donkey

imported post

Good videos!

Gilmore doesn't gain much by recycling a 1994 commercial. Back then, NRA had a few harsh things to say about Warner too!

Now NRA has nothing but good things to say about Warner even though Gilmore is on their board.

Tomahawk

imported post

Looking back, Warner was pretty good on RKBA as governor, so if he gets elected I'm not going to start panicking. Webb? I've known about Webb since the 1980s and whatever his faults, he seems to be a believer in RKBA, although I think he's falling victim to the Beltway Game, which basically forces you to compromise your beliefs or be completely shut out of the power positions in the Senate. Gilmore? Also fairly pro-gun, but also a neo-con (ie. what passes for a republican these days), which makes him no better than a dem to me.

I kind of like the idea of having as many pro-gun democrats as possible, in order to influence that party's position, but either way I'm not going to sweat this. We're going to get a d-bag for a president either way.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
Good videos!

Gilmore doesn't gain much by recycling a 1994 commercial. Back then, NRA had a few harsh things to say about Warner too!

Now NRA has nothing but good things to say about Warner even though Gilmore is on their board.
Just wondering how I as an NRA member was threatening to what it means to be an American in 1994?

Got any cites from the NRA?

The Donkey

imported post

longwatch wrote:
The Donkey wrote:

Got any cites from the NRA?
"Also in the race is former Governor Mark Warner, D. As governor, Mark Warner signed over 20 pro-gun bills, and was a valuable ally for gun owners and sportsmen. However this race turns out, the good news is that Virginia gun owners will have a stronger voice in the U.S. Senate after John Warner retires."

The Donkey

Thundar

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
The Eastern Shore is littered with large orange Sportsmen for Warner signs already.
They make great target holders if you're headed to the range.

If they were posted on my property they sure would be used as you suggested, likewise for the signs of the forked tongue Republican Gilmore.

REDPATH for Senate

XD Owner

imported post

I don't know this Redpath person, but permit me to post some material from the Gilmore for Senate site.

At the top (repeat the TOP) of the Gilmore On The Issues pageis this:

Protecting The 2nd Amendment

Jim Gilmore believes gun ownership is based on the American tradition of personal responsibility and he is committed to protecting the rights of hunters, sportsmen and gun owners.

Jim Gilmore is a member of the National Rifle Association’s Board of Directors and has spent much of his life working to protect our 2nd Amendment rights. Jim Gilmore believes the right to keep and bear arms is entitled to the same protection as every other amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

As Governor, Gilmore created Virginia Exile to get guns out of the hands of criminals. His efforts as Attorney General and Governor, including the abolition of parole and truth in the sentencing of criminals, reduced Virginia crime rates to a 25-year low.
# # #

Gilmore also listed illegal immigration, energy independence, protecting taxpayers, traditional values, transportation, education and terrorism.

Mark Warner's issues worthy of putting on his website? Energy policy, Health care, Iraq, Competitiveness and Infrastructure. ZERO mention of RKBA.

That tells me enough about Mark Warner and his "Sportsmen for Warner" group.

Please vote for Jim Gilmore for United States Senate!

*This comparison of the two websites is accurate and correct at the time of this posting. Either candidate could change their website at any time.

To: Donkey

Nice meeting you at the Nation's Gun Show. Like I said, hope your guy loses.

Were you there by yourself all day? just wondering. Hope we meet again.

The Donkey

imported post

XD:

THanks for stopping by. Actually, I was at the Chantilly show with two gentlemen and a lady who were kind enough to share tabling with me:

Here's Mark Warner's Sportsmen site:

http://www.markwarner2008.com/groups/sportsmen

This is whatit says there about 2d:

[align=center][size=+2]“We Need To Enforce Existing Laws Against Criminals.
Any Additional Legislation Is Not Necessary.”[/size]

[/align]

[align=left]"Governor Warner believes that the Second Amendment guarantees law-abiding individuals the right to keep and bear arms. Governor Warner signed every pro-Second Amendment piece of legislation that came to his desk while Governor, including laws that:[/align]
• Lifted the one-gun-a-month restriction for people with concealed weapons permits and for collectors.

• Granted statewide preemption to protect law-abiding gun owners from a confusing patchwork of gun laws.

• Increased protection of existing shooting ranges.

• Strengthened an individual’s Right-to-Carry protections.

• Streamlined reporting for gun show promoters.

• Increased the number of states that Virginia has reciprocity and mutual agreements of understanding."

ECB

imported post

I think that Warner would be a 'better' (just my opinion) all around Senator for Virginia than Gilmore. That said, there's more than one issue at stake here.

For me, the larger issue is who is on the Supreme Court. It is the Senate that confirms Presidential appointments to the Supreme Court. Warner cannot be counted on in a Supreme Court Justice vote. Democratic party pressure on him would be immense. I think Gilmore can be counted on to confirm conservative Supreme Court nominees.

Once again, on election day, I will hold my nose and vote a conservative ticket.

The Donkey

imported post

ECB wrote:
I think that Warner would be a 'better' (just my opinion) all around Senator for Virginia than Gilmore. That said, there's more than one issue at stake here.

For me, the larger issue is who is on the Supreme Court. It is the Senate that confirms Presidential appointments to the Supreme Court. Warner cannot be counted on in a Supreme Court Justice vote. Democratic party pressure on him would be immense. I think Gilmore can be counted on to confirm conservative Supreme Court nominees.

Once again, on election day, I will hold my nose and vote a conservative ticket.

So called "conservative" nominees are happy to support the rights recognized in Heller (insofar as it goes) , in the abstract but are not as likely to allow 2A Plaintiffs to enforcethoseConstitutional rights in Court.

Now that Heller is decided,the Donkey isof the opinion that more enforcement friendly judges are better for 2A rights. But that is contrary tothe opinions of some in this community, who are used to judging judges on 2A alone.

With a bit of hopefully not too painful experience with 2A enforcement, I think many willcome around . . . .