• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Number of carry rounds?

gm2max

my wife has her Ruger LCR .357 Mag, currently loaded with .38 spec +P JHP rounds

we have yet to shoot it, and she doesn't carry it yet (due to my lack of ordering her a hip holser (which im going to do now))

Steeler-gal

my wife has her Ruger LCR .357 Mag, currently loaded with .38 spec +P JHP rounds

we have yet to shoot it, and she doesn't carry it yet (due to my lack of ordering her a hip holser (which im going to do now))

Love my Ruger LCR .357. I keep it loaded with .38 spec +P JHP too. I've shot .357 at the range and the recoil is too extreme for me with such a short barrel but I'm glad I have her. I switch between carrying my Ruger and my XDm. Just depends on my mood that day.

45acpForMe

I'm an 870 guy myself...never cared for the Mossberg safety.

I have a couple 870's too but it is funny that you don't like the safety on the Mossberg because that is one of the big reasons people say it is better than the 870!

The other is the loading flap that blocks access to the magazine which makes it a bit more difficult to load. The Mossberg design doesn't have this so you can drop a shell into the loading area when the gun is upside down.

I love the 870 but think the 590a1 is better ergonomics and it has a bayonet lug. :)

Not a perfect video but some good info for people unfamiliar with them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTCURi-NlD4

As far as rounds I carry in my shotgun, I have a 7+1 and 6+1 with an additioanl 6 on the side. :) If I run out of ammo I will then transition to pistol.

ETA: The only thing I DONT like about the Mossberg is the price. I can get two 870's (almost) for one 590a1. The 590a1 is recommended over the 500 also.

Last edited:

Marco

Mossbergs. I had to make a safety for one once.

There's a steel replacement button.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26966/Product/MOSSBERG-500-590-835-ENHANCED-SAFETY-BUTTON

The Ruger LCR-357 is a great choice for a BUG. You can shoot +p 38's in it all day long and its only 2 oz. heavier than the regular LCR.

You CAN shoot full load .357's in it, but that's like holding onto a horny squid just back from a 6-month deployment...
It can be done, but why would you want to?

I don't find the.357 LCR bad at all. I won 2 stages at a shoot using Hornday .357mag 140gr FTX (choosen carry load) and I was up against folks shooting semi auto 9mm's.

I use to be a Mossberg guy but after getting a Benelli SuperNova tactical I haven't looked back.
The magazine cut off is an added feature that I really like.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

Maybe we just didn't take good-enough care of the Mossberg 500's in the military, or we had a bad batch of them. They didn't seem as rugged as the 870 and they seemed to fall apart when subjected to rough handling.

You gotta make 'em "sailor proof" for the Coast Guard because they're like the chimpanzies in the airport luggage-handling commercial. The 500 didn't stand up to the abuse. The "new" 870's the CG use are durable and useful.

Attachments

• CG SHOTGUN.jpg
    CG SHOTGUN.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 72

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Maybe we just didn't take good-enough care of the Mossberg 500's in the military, or we had a bad batch of them. They didn't seem as rugged as the 870 and they seemed to fall apart when subjected to rough handling.

You gotta make 'em "sailor proof" for the Coast Guard because they're like the chimpanzies in the airport luggage-handling commercial. The 500 didn't stand up to the abuse. The "new" 870's the CG use are durable and useful.

Six of one, a half dozen of the other MSC!

Both are contenders for the top pump gun in this country if not the world.
I will say this, if you want an extended tube without replacing the tube, the 870 is the clear winner.
Personally on my fighting gun, I prefer the shorter barrel to an extra couple of rounds.

gm2max

Today, talking about buying speedloaders for her .357 mag revolver:

Me: honey, how many times do you want to reload?
Wife: its a .357 magnum, I shouldn't have to shoot more than once.
Me: honey, police officers miss 80% of the time.
Wife: good thing I'm not a police officer

I fell onto the bed laughing, and grabbed my phone to post this, it was so funny

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Funny but true way too much of the time.

The reason the new breed of cop (No offense to the old timers) likes to push safety by cell phone, is because if they didn't have that radio, they'd be like the fellow in Apocalypse Now who kept muttering, "Never get off the boat, never get off the boat".

Response time would be....never! Can't fight, can't shoot, can't call for help=lots of down time at 7-11.

MilProGuy

Today, talking about buying speedloaders for her .357 mag revolver:

Me: honey, how many times do you want to reload?
Wife: its a .357 magnum, I shouldn't have to shoot more than once.
Me: honey, police officers miss 80% of the time.
Wife: good thing I'm not a police officer

Now THIS is rich!!!!!

And...you know, she's right! :monkey One well-placed shot with a .357 Magnum should be sufficient. :dude:

ocholsteroc

Now THIS is rich!!!!!

And...you know, she's right! :monkey One well-placed shot with a .357 Magnum should be sufficient. :dude:

I heard of a trooper once firing 5 of 6 shots into center mass on a murderer chest, the murderer fired 1 or 2 shots 22cal handgun into the side of the trooper, missing his vest, going to his heart and killing him DOA. The murderer lived and went to jail, 5 shots of 357 and lived. I think he might have been on drugs though. What are the odds...

I like the LCR because you can use both 38/357 ammo. S&W wants like $550+ for their snub 357 revolvers...

Last edited:

MilProGuy

I like the LCR because you can use both 38/357 ammo. S&W wants like $550+ for their snub 357 revolvers...

$550 for a handgun that may have to be used for self-defense is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that one has when carrying it, though. :dude:

Jonesy

At last...The KING OF CARTRIDGES.

The Redhawk is a tad heavy for EDC although my Super Blackhawk pretty much lives with me on the farm.
I like my 629 6" for burbwear and my Taurus Titanium Ultralite is a permanent resident in my console.

My 4" 29 is in my desk drawer.

My Contender with the 44 Hotshot Barrel is my Tractor gun.

Life is good with a 44.:dude:

I woulld only carry guns this huge if I lived in grizzly/mountain lion country. I got one of those girlie .40 S&W guns 16+1 with 16 spare.

MSC 45ACP

Went to Cracker Barrel after visiting # 1 daughter in the hospital. No problems. Three small children seemed temporarily paralyzed when they spotted the Kimber, but recovered quickly to continue running around the place and being themselves after realizing the inanimate object wasn't going to hurt them.

Too bad many adults don't understand the concept.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I woulld only carry guns this huge if I lived in grizzly/mountain lion country. I got one of those girlie .40 S&W guns 16+1 with 16 spare.

Hmmmm...So since you carry a .40...they must be GREAT:lol:
I guess they're OK for shooting those sewer rats you all have up there.

Last edited:

Jonesy

Hmmmm...So since you carry a .40...they must be GREAT:lol:
I guess they're OK for shooting those sewer rats you all have up there.

Well, I have tried a few big handguns at the range, just too big for me to use effectively. My .40 seems to be a nice combination of decent power and sized for me to carry and use comfortably, but I am only 5'5". I may move up to a 1911 at some point though.

Maybe what you need is something really big like one of these 28mm revolvers: http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/3000/3072.htm Would be good at the farm, no need for chain saw, you could shoot down trees.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, I have tried a few big handguns at the range, just too big for me to use effectively. My .40 seems to be a nice combination of decent power and sized for me to carry and use comfortably, but I am only 5'5". I may move up to a 1911 at some point though.

Maybe what you need is something really big like one of these 28mm revolvers: http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/3000/3072.htm Would be good at the farm, no need for chain saw, you could shoot down trees.

I have thought about playing with the 28mm in a rifle but haven't had time yet. I have a few cases:lol:

My love for the 44's isn't the revolvers as much the cartridge. I do have a few small 44's. It can simply be loaded for everything from DC to Daylight.
As far as big revolvers go, I don't conceal, I shoot them well and I won't shoot them loose like the smaller guns (Except the Taurus Titanium and S&W 325 45ACP).
I do carry a 1911 but don't as much as I used to for personal reasons that don't have anything to do with the gun. It's perfection in a semi.

Apparently not many people handload the.40 because the ground is usually covered with brass at the range. I save it because they make great half jackets for my 45/70's and full jackets for 45 Colt.

I never liked what I considered underpowered handgun rounds. When the world was going through the 9mm insanity, I was converting all of mine to 38 Super. I still have a S&W 39 that I converted and was my EDC for years when I CC'ed.

The 40 is a compromise round a lot like the 41 was in revolvers. The Police like it but they were also fond of the 38 Spl which I had no use for whatsoever.

For those that want to carry a semi, it makes no sense to me at all to carry the 40 when there are so many 45 ACP's available...even plastic ones.:uhoh:

nilla

i haven't been carrying any extra mags, but am thinkin it might be a good idea. given heat of the moment in-accuacy
on the flip side; i'm not trying to be a hero, just get out alive.

9+1 in my G27 and/or 7+1 in my wife's LC9 is better than none.

EDIT: and perception of intent is a good reason not to carry in excess
i would't go past an extra magazine. even if it's a single stack of 7; that'd be where i'd stop and reconsider if i need to spend some more time at the range OR why i'm justifiying going where i'm going, and ask myself if i should just stay home instead.

maybe my perspective is tainted because i live in the gangster-riddled ghetto that P-town is. ... welcome to my hood. LOLz

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

The 40 is a compromise round a lot like the 41 was in revolvers. The Police like it but they were also fond of the 38 Spl which I had no use for whatsoever.

For those that want to carry a semi, it makes no sense to me at all to carry the 40 when there are so many 45 ACP's available...even plastic ones.:uhoh:

+1, Peter Nap

I'm an old-school .45ACP guy and have become very comfortable shooting it.
I shot a .40 cal for the first time a few years ago and didn't like it.
The recoil was quite different and seemed "snappier" than .45ACP.
I'll stick with .45ACP because its familiar and works well for me.
The LCR-357 is a great BUG, but not a "range gun".
I can shoot it well enough, but it isn't a pistol I want to shoot all day long.

Back On Topic:
As stated before; Some prefer the "New York Reload" to a "traditional" reloading scenario because its quicker and less likely to lead up to problems. Some folks give "magazine malfunction" as one reason for carrying extra magazines. That's scary. If there is the slightest chance one of my magazines will "screw the pooch", then bringing the BUG into the equation makes more sense than playing with your primary when the SHTF. I don't know about the rest of you, but I certainly don't have time to clear a stovepipe caused by a squib-round, limp-wrist or something slowing down the function of my slide.

When the semi-auto goes "down", its time to refer to the Original Point & Click Interface... a Revolver.