• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

O.C. Vigils on January 8th?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
After reading FMCDH answer, I feel I have recieved a SHOCKABOOKOO: A swift kick to the head that alters your concousness. Thank you for that.

And to answer GOGODAWGS question, ABSOLUTLY NOTHING!

FMCDH at least let me pay for the first round of coffee at our next East Side Meeting.

I am glad you have discovered the answer to my question on your own.

sudden valley gunner

Why not talk to anti's? I talk to them all the time. I usually leave them with at least a better image of their pre-concieved prejudiced image of gun owners. Even if you don't change their mind, you make them at least question their stance.

1. Why are you so anti gun?

You would be surprised at the reasons some give and how those reasons they think are so stead fast and solid are easily dismantled. I have turned a few anti gun people by being open minded and understanding the reasons they have.

2. Can you show me one instance where a gun decided to kill someone all on it's own.

Another question that makes them pause and actually think about the human aspect of violence.

3. You do realize that banning guns won't stop the bad guys from getting them right? And that more women are the victim of predatory crimes than men.

Appeal to their natural inclination of self preservation.

Of course this is when people are willing to have a discourse, it can lead to many other questions back and forth, you have to be willing to listen to them too. One time I went to to get my morning coffee at Starbucks ended up sitting outside at a table talking about 1/2 hr. with an anti. He wanted to know my mindset and I wanted to know his. I don't even consider my self an "OC ambassador" just someone passionate about 'all' fundamental rights.

It's actually very rare that I find an anti, who just won't have any discourse at all, those I just walk away from and wish them a safe day.

badkarma

Why not talk to anti's? I talk to them all the time. I usually leave them with at least a better image of their pre-concieved prejudiced image of gun owners. Even if you don't change their mind, you make them at least question their stance.

1. Why are you so anti gun?

You would be surprised at the reasons some give and how those reasons they think are so stead fast and solid are easily dismantled. I have turned a few anti gun people by being open minded and understanding the reasons they have.

2. Can you show me one instance where a gun decided to kill someone all on it's own.

Another question that makes them pause and actually think about the human aspect of violence.

3. You do realize that banning guns won't stop the bad guys from getting them right? And that more women are the victim of predatory crimes than men.

Appeal to their natural inclination of self preservation.

Of course this is when people are willing to have a discourse, it can lead to many other questions back and forth, you have to be willing to listen to them too. One time I went to to get my morning coffee at Starbucks ended up sitting outside at a table talking about 1/2 hr. with an anti. He wanted to know my mindset and I wanted to know his. I don't even consider my self an "OC ambassador" just someone passionate about 'all' fundamental rights.

It's actually very rare that I find an anti, who just won't have any discourse at all, those I just walk away from and wish them a safe day.

You need to run it by Deros and gogodog first. They seem to be the approving authority for all OC events.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
You need to run it by Deros and gogodog first. They seem to be the approving authority for all OC events.

Why the personal insult? This is simply untrue. (btw get the spelling of my name correct it is gogodawgs! :banana:)

Previously I expressed my opinion, and I can be and am often wrong, I think in this instance I was wrong. However, again I would not personally go to their event, it is to confrontational in my opinion. Even if it is a passive aggressive confrontation, I do not think it best represents my feelings for OC and gun owners in general.

Furthermore, I am glad someone posted the victims analysis, that is something ingrained in my brain and is the other reason I avoid confronting the WCF group. They do not want dialogue and they are incapable of it and it looks like Eric understands that now.

FMCDH

Why the personal insult? This is simply untrue. (btw get the spelling of my name correct it is gogodawgs! :banana:)

Previously I expressed my opinion, and I can be and am often wrong, I think in this instance I was wrong. However, again I would not personally go to their event, it is to confrontational in my opinion. Even if it is a passive aggressive confrontation, I do not think it best represents my feelings for OC and gun owners in general.

Furthermore, I am glad someone posted the victims analysis, that is something ingrained in my brain and is the other reason I avoid confronting the WCF group. They do not want dialogue and they are incapable of it and it looks like Eric understands that now.

Your welcome. :D

And while I agree that as a group they cant be reasoned with, as individuals (away from the pack) I have to agree with SVG that they can be educated. I have spoken to a few members of these groups over the years that were willing to re-evaluate the statistics that they were fed, and I found later on that most had effectively turned away from the anti-gun ideal. Not that any of them had started to carry after, but at least they were no longer associating with these groups.

It not easy, but to me its worth it.

badkarma

Not a personnel insult, but an observation that you and Deros seem to have an opinion for any event not yours(Excluding the Monthly meet ups). The Greenlake event, the October WCF event are just 2 examples. And the approach of "Why not confront the Anti's" seems to be you're not on-board with that.

You make comments like the following
Today is the litter clean up, an event that highlights the good that gun owners contribute. Instead of the confrontational approach which you are choosing in going to their event....

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?93812-Armed-Litter-Crew-Ahead

No. They are an irrelevant group, with only 5000 members across the state. There are more than 340,000 citizens with a CPL. I do not wish to give them any attention or any credibility.

Frankly protesting/counter-protesting them only brings attention to them and is not part of my daily life.

I do aplaud you for taking the high road and saying you might have been wrong about this last event, but the pattern I have seen is that you guys don't support anything that might be considered confrontational.

badkarma

I think Deros has earned his stripes. As for me I am not so sure, but I will stand behind my approach of being non confrontational when carrying a firearm. YMMV

I don't disagree. It would be nice if you both did support them though. You have been involved for many years and can speak better than most to the media. Your knowledge about the laws has helped many others on this board feel comfortable exersicing their rights.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I don't disagree. It would be nice if you both did support them though. You have been involved for many years and can speak better than most to the media. Your knowledge about the laws has helped many others on this board feel comfortable exersicing their rights.

"It woul be nice if you both did support them though." Who is them?

Thank you for your kind words. It is my goal to help others feel comfortable. And I have employed a strategy to do this. (i.e. South Sound thread)

So why would I do something contrary to my comfort level and strategy if I have been successful in helping others?

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I just noticed you guys had the same Idea up north, I grew up in the Edmonds, Lynwood, so I check on WA, state from time to time. Down here in Las vegas we had a vigil on freemont street. A rights oriented group guerrilla lawfare donated 500 candles to our cause. We did not have an existing vigil to go to Guerrilla lawfare did contact the Brady campaign, to set up a vigil with them and they never responded we did list the www.guerrillalawfare.com address so they probably looked it up. Hear is a link to the radio show that was aired at the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKJz1hT0pNY