• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obamacare passed...2

ABNinfantryman

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
By those lights, bananas are "Interstate Commerce"; and the banana industry would benefit if everyone bought bananas; so Congress could constitutionally require every American to buy a bunch of bananas every day
You already have been. The government has been buying produce to artificially inflate the value of produce for over 60 years to keep small farms in business.

slowfiveoh

imported post

ABNinfantryman wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
By those lights, bananas are "Interstate Commerce"; and the banana industry would benefit if everyone bought bananas; so Congress could constitutionally require every American to buy a bunch of bananas every day
You already have been. The government has been buying produce to artificially inflate the value of produce for over 60 years to keep small farms in business.
You can still decide not to buy produce. You can also buy from said small farms, which will have a small tax revenue return for the government.

A decision still exists.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
You can still decide not to buy produce. You can also buy from said small farms, which will have a small tax revenue return for the government.

A decision still exists.
Let's try this again. The government uses TAX money, your money, to buy produce and artificially inflate the value of produce, so by proxy you are buying that produce and have no choice in the matter. There is no decision. Whether you choose to buy produce with the money you have after taxes is irrelevant, because you're still buying produce with your tax money, and everyone does so.

All American Nightmare

imported post

I have not read the bill yet. If what im hearing is true then the gooberment could force us to buy anything they wanted. While the US is still the best country in the world to live in I think. We some how manage to have both the the best and worst goverment. Perhaps If a little comon sense was used sometimes we would be alot better off. Common sense seems to be a endangered thing in Washingtionand the rest of the country as well and has been for a long time. Perhaps the goverment has gotten to powerful for there own good ? If we the people give them the power then we the people can can take it.Just my .02 cent

rodbender

imported post

Some of you guys need to do some research as to what the most common use of the word "regulate"was in 1787. Apply that to the commerce clause and 2A. Maybe then you'll see the light.

Patrick Henry, during the Virginia ratification debates, warned that the feds, in the future,could and would use the general welfare clause to do anything they wanted. That's the main reason he was against ratification. Was he a visionary or a psychic?