• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Allowed on Motorcycles and Bicycles

bigdaddyj

imported post

I spoke to Captain Greene from KCSD today. He told me that if that's what I was gonna do, then he would suggest that i have the AG's opinion in writing and carry it in my motorcycle to show an LEO if I get pulled over. Captain Greene is also a member of the CCW board.

bigdaddyj

imported post

I spoke to Sherriff Fuller the other day about his opinion of OC on a motorcycle and he obviously told me to do more research. He then said "I don't know why your orginization (opencarry.org) wants to have these gatherings in Kalamazoo b/c there isn't a very high violent crime rate here". But a friend of my family was just jumped by 40 people the other day at a graduation party, and put in intesive care. The cops showed up while this was going on and one of the people there was told to go get a shotgun and the cop told him if he did he would go to jail.Then there was the beating of the old guy back in jan/feb (can't remember exactly) on the north side of Kalamazoo. I heard the guy died as a result of the beating but it was never put in the paper. So I guess that if they don't putthe violent crimes in the paper then they never really happened huh.:cuss::banghead:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

bigdaddyj wrote:
I spoke to Captain Greene from KCSD today. He told me that if that's what I was gonna do, then he would suggest that i have the AG's opinion in writing and carry it in my motorcycle to show an LEO if I get pulled over. Captain Greene is also a member of the CCW board.
I don't recall an AG opinion, I think it was an opinion from the state police.

bigdaddyj

imported post

I will try to get back in touch with Sherriff Fuller and ask him about it. I couldn't find anything on the AG opinion page. but I do remember reading it oh here.:banghead: But anyway when I find out I will post.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
There was a discussion between Venator and Sergeant Deebs about this topic... I don't think it was ever resolved ...other than to say you had better have a CPL on motorcycle at least...
The email from Sgt. Deasy to Venator in regards to OC on a motorcycle ison the first page of this thread. Scroll about half way down and it's the 15th post if I counted correctly.

autosurgeon

imported post

The problem is while that may be the position of the State Police without an AG opinion or a court case other departments need not follow that line of thought. As a result they can arrest you and haul you in for CCW when on a motorcycle without a CPL.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
The problem is while that may be the position of the State Police without an AG opinion or a court case other departments need not follow that line of thought. As a result they can arrest you and haul you in for CCW when on a motorcycle without a CPL.
My point exactly...

autosurgeon

imported post

While I am not a lawyer. I will say this a bicycle is not a vehicle and does not have to be insured. So it is possible that OC on a bicycle would be ok I guess I would want to do more research before I did it without a CPL.

I ride my bicycle OC all the time but I have a CPL... I also have not been challenged by any of the police who have seen me OC on my bicycle.