• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Summerfest?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

LOL, I never noticed if the police carry or not at Summer fest. I did see them carry at Irish Fest. that must mean we Irishmen are more dangerous! :celebrate

They must have seen the movie Boondock Saints.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

protias wrote:
Yup, police are constantly getting disarmed. If fact, I see it all the time. One minute their gun is in their holster, next minute it is gone. Then those guns are used in crimes all over the place.

:banghead:
Unfortunately, we just had a threadhttp://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=26478&forum_id=57about this exact thing. The officer supplied a high powered rifle and two magazines to the criminals.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

protias wrote:
Yup, police are constantly getting disarmed. If fact, I see it all the time. One minute their gun is in their holster, next minute it is gone. Then those guns are used in crimes all over the place.

:banghead:
I think the cops are selling their guns to criminals to create more crime and make themselves look more important. Plus they are making a couple of bucks on the side. :uhoh: Just kidding

iceman71

imported post

Vrider, I also use to be a red shirt. And was at african world festival the year of the shooting. I was ten feet away but could do nothing. And wait no cop was around to do it either. How many people could have died that day? I know your point you are making. But a responsable non drinking oc"er could of made a difference

VRider911

imported post

I will agree that my objections are directly related as to how I believe open carry would affect my job at Summerfest. With that statement I have no argument.

I would like to ask a question. Now I may not be reading the statement correctly or perhaps may be reading more into into than is actually intended but in what context am I being labled as "anti"? Anti what specifically? If you mean anti open carry at Summerfest then you would be correct. Any other meaning would need to be stated clearly.

It is actually my job to protect the patrons who come to Summerfest. I've got the physical scars to prove it. Now I may not be there at the particular moment in time that a group of drunk bikers decide to bash your head into the rocks. But if I was, myself and my fellow redshirts do what we have to to prevent that from occuring. Have I been there when a gun was drawn? Yep, sucked to be me. Felt absolutely helpless knowing that crappy little .25 caliber Jennings was probably going to work when he pulled the trigger. I beat the odds when it didnt and even more so when MPD came to the rescue, but that was back in the early 90's. Did I need to stop back at the locker room for a change, hell yes. Oh and MPD does carry on the grounds. When Hugh Jarmis wrote that MPD checks their guns at the gate I can only but assume that he was being facetious in such a statement. The carry their Glocks and also their newly assigned S&W Sigma's and a few officers carry TASER's as well.

Redshirts dont get weapons. We get training, self defense, DAAT and suchfrom a pair of very good instructors who work in Law Enforcement. We are not authorized for anything even as non lethal as pepper spray, expandable batons or TASER's. We can wear our own body armor if we choose to and some do. Mostly we are trained to talk to people to get them to comply.

Oh Hugh, yes, people have been assaulted on their way back to their cars, apartments, condo's and such once they've left Summerfest. But then outside Summerfest isnt my venue. From the sound of it, its yours. Perhaps one day in the future we will have a checkin service for your sidearm. Kind of like Dodge City back in the days of Wyatt Earp and Pat Garrett. Unfortunately right now all we can handle are things like backpacks, camera's and stuff you may have bought on the grounds but dont want to carry around all day. Should that day come, folks can check in their legal to carry open sidearms and then pick them up on the way out so they can feel safe and secure. It may happen one day, who's to say?

The one thing no one has asked me yet is do I believe in the right to open carry? The answer to that is yes. But not at Summerfest. Nor at any other such venue whether I work there or not. Nor in any place where alchohol is served. No one has asked if I believe in the right to carry concealed. I do, but with Doyle as Governor, we'll never see it passed in the legislature.

Any other statements, comments or questions are greatly appreciated. Just make them as clearly as you can. I've made my statements clear and concise. My beliefs are clear. They may not confrom to yours nor do they need too. They are my own. As the beliefs you hold are yours. I'm not one for sarcasm or innuendo. Say it plain so anyone can understand it. After that, we can discuss it to see if there is any room for a middle ground to be reached.

Vaya con Dios friends.

JG

imported post

Porodias: Thats why I stand by my OPINION that Wisc. needs a CC lawalongwith the OC law.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Oh and MPD does carry on the grounds. When Hugh Jarmis wrote that MPD checks their guns at the gate I can only but assume that he was being facetious in such a statement. The carry their Glocks and also their newly assigned S&W Sigma's and a few officers carry TASER's as well.
Yes, of course I was being facetious. My point there are people open carrying at Summerfest. And the only real difference between them and any other law abiding person is they have a badge. Every "risk" you cite for a law abiding citizen is a risk that exists with the police that open carry in summerfest. Ifopen carry was a risk, why do police do it? They are NO different than law abiding citizens. IN FACT, they are more of a risk because a law abiding citizen doesn't go looking for trouble and seeking out bad persons.Law abiding would be far less likely to ever drawtheir weapon to use. As i've stated in other threads, Leo's use the guns for offensive purposes. Law abiding citizens may not draw their gun in ANY circumstance unless its a defensive purpose. And because of the deterent to a criminal, just having the gun on your hip pretty much guarantees you'll never have to use it because criminals would move on to another target.

Now I may not be reading the statement correctly or perhaps may be reading more into into than is actually intended but in what context am I being labled as "anti"? Anti what specifically? If you mean anti open carry at Summerfest then you would be correct. Any other meaning would need to be stated clearly.

I use "anti" to refer to any stance which is either wholey or partly anti-right/anti-gun. You claim not to be anti-gun, but some of your positions are anti-rights as they place your personal desires over the rights of others. Truth be told though, you are in good company there. MOST people fall of the "freedom" train somewhere along the line. There are people on this forum who only believe in "some" rights.
I believe in the right to open carry? The answer to that is yes.

No its not. The answer to that (from you) is "sorta" ;)
Unfortunately right now all we can handle are things like backpacks, camera's and stuff you may have bought on the grounds but dont want to carry around all day. Should that day come, folks can check in their legal to carry open sidearms and then pick them up on the way out so they can feel safe and secure. It may happen one day, who's to say?

I think that is a good start. That way people have an opportunity to be protected while they return to their vehicle, condo, whatever. Selfish and inconsiderate doesn't begin to describe a policy of a place like summerfest that would prevent people from having the opportunity to protect themselves once they step outside the gates. Almost a "hey, F you, you're on your own"

One point in that regard...Obviously right now EVEN if summerfestWANTED to allow open carry, we still couldn't open carry there because of the alcohol consumption issue. IF wisconsin dropped its rediculous "no guns where alcohol is sold/consumed" policy so that the only thing keeping people from being able to defend themselves was summerfest policyI'll be honest... KNOWING people have been assaulted leaving summerfest, I think its shameful of summerfest to not afford people a way to protect themselves once they leave the "safety" (yes, quotes indicate sarcasm) of your gates.

Anyway.. I must say VR, I think you debate honestly. I disagree with your opinions and think they are short-sighted and selfish in a way, (just your positions on open carry at summerfest, not judging you as a whole)but I completely respect your hoenstly when you admit things like:
I will agree that my objections are directly related as to how I believe open carry would affect my job at Summerfest.
Its one thing to debate with someone who has self-serving opinions. Its entirely another to debate with someone who has self-serving positions and then claims they aren't self serving. (and I"m not being patronizing by saying that)

I believe you that outside of the summerfest 'similar venue' issues you support open carry, but I feel like your personal selfishness clouds your judgment on the open carry issue at summerfest and similar venues. There is always risk in everything we do. But what is the "role" of the redshirts? Are they there to protect themselves or protect patrons? How are you protecting patrons by removing their ability to protect themselves? What IS your mission statement?

If all you are concerned about is your own safety, then you shouldn't be a security guard. It doesn't fit you. If you are going to embrace your job description, then you should be willing to accept the PERCIEVED risk you think open carried guns would bring. (I say percieved because I 100% believe it wouldn't add any risk to your job)

Its counter intuitive to have your role be to protect patrons while you support a policy that makes them vulnerable.