• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Illinois

kurt555gs

Since the IL legislature was supposed to go out of session at the end of the month, what happens if the governor "pocket vetoes" the bill? Does IL have such an option?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

Then we get constitutional carry ( with a FOID card for Illinois residents ) on June 10th outside of home rule municipalities that have their own firearms laws.

* Carthago Delenda Est *

Last edited:

kurt555gs

I think the 30 day stay has to do with local municipalities having time to enact things like magazine bans, semi auto bans, registration laws, lost or stolen ordinances, safe storage laws, and the like. The Bill, HB183 allows all those laws passed before it's enactment to stay.

Also, I think just winning by passing HB183 which is a horrid carry bill isn't enough. "They" are *prolly scheming up ways to cut out parts of the bill with a line item veto in order to make it like Hawaii when not one permit has ever been issued.

Just guessing.

* Internet word, not misspelling.

WalkingWolf

Well, the "legal beagles" have screwed us again.
Queball has been given 30 days (until 7/9/13) to "review" the recently passed bill.
So we have as much as another month waiting and watching.

USE those 30 days to put pressure on him to veto the bill. Remember he cannot file a appeal to the circuit court ruling if the bill passes. I am sure the antis are hoping for him to appeal, now if the gun owners push for him also to veto the bill it is probably dead. Didn't you people stop a AWB bill by grass roots after Sandy Hooks? Do it again!

E6chevron

I think the 30 day stay has to do with local municipalities having time to enact things like magazine bans, semi auto bans, registration laws, lost or stolen ordinances, safe storage laws, and the like. The Bill, HB183 allows all those laws passed before it's enactment to stay.

Also, I think just winning by passing HB183 which is a horrid carry bill isn't enough. "They" are *prolly scheming up ways to cut out parts of the bill with a line item veto in order to make it like Hawaii when not one permit has ever been issued.

Just guessing.

* Internet word, not misspelling.

You should cite (according to forum rules) what you are talking about in your first paragraph. You mentioned a lot of things, but did not mention what is actually spelled out in HB183... Preservation of Assault Weapons "home rule" regulation.

---------------

Here is my post regarding preemption coming out of HB193: http://forum.opencarry.org./forums/...other-states&p=1945719&viewfull=1#post1945719

That post includes several citations to Illinois legislation.

That post has the citation of the "grandfathering" given to Assault Weapons home rule regulation, which is enacted up to 10 days after the effective date of HB193. No mention of providing that protection to other types of home rule firearms regulation.

kurt555gs

There really is no need to cite anything in HB183 because Governor Jello will use the Amendatory Veto and *prolly gut the entire bill and replace it with Chicago written May Issue, no preemption, AWB, Mag limits, the works language. Then with Madigan and Cullerton's help, kill any override attempt. Remember Madigan's floor speech from HB2163 where he said he pressured 11 votes away from HB997.

If "we" had the 71/36 votes, we would have had HB997.

* Internet word.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
There really is no need to cite anything in HB183 because Governor Jello will use the Amendatory Veto and *prolly gut the entire bill and replace it with Chicago written May Issue, no preemption, AWB, Mag limits, the works language. Then with Madigan and Cullerton's help, kill any override attempt. Remember Madigan's floor speech from HB2163 where he said he pressured 11 votes away from HB997.

If "we" had the 71/36 votes, we would have had HB997.

* Internet word.
:uhoh: :uhoh:

OMG - I thought you had made up the term "Amendatory Veto" until I googled "Amendatory Veto Illinois" and came up with multiple examples, including this one:

http://voices.yahoo.com/illinois-con-con-issues-amendatory-veto-power-1996595.html

"...The veto power of the Illinois governor goes far beyond that of the President of the United States, who has only total veto power, and beyond that of many state governors. Under the old 1870 Constitution, governors had only total, item and reduction veto power. However, they had on occasion told legislators what changes could be made in a vetoed bill to render it acceptable. Legislators could then submit an amended bill with those changes, pass it again, and resend it to the governor for his approval. The 1970 Constitution formalized what had been an informal procedure.

How far an Illinois governor can go with an amendatory veto has been debated almost from the beginning. The first court case questioning a governor's amendatory veto power dates back to 1971. In 1974, voters rejected a proposed amendment to limit amendatory veto power to technical corrections and matters of form..."

Last edited:

kurt555gs

Quinn has tried this before. Last time he used the Amendatory Veto to totally gut a bill that would have allowed intrastate mail order sales of ammo and replaced it with language that would have banned almost everything but flintlocks. He said this was in his discretionary use of the AV because both the original bill and his new language had to do with firearms.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gov...u-s-and-illinois-constitutions-simultaneously

Last time he lost. This time the votes are too close to call in the Illinois Senate.