• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

armaborealis

Hi,

Bottom line: Positive experience at Bostom Creme Frozen Yogurt on N Decatur. Neutral "nothing to report" from the Target nearby.

New poster here, and wanted to share an OC story -- nothing exciting, but in keeping with the thread. I'm from Alaska and have OC'd there and it isn't really a big deal in most places (esp outside Anchorage). Heck, the local shooting range is the same range where APD goes and shoots. However, I'm visiting Las Vegas and everything I've read seems to indicate that it can be a bit of a less... welcoming environment (the whole Costco incident, metro's attitude's, the kangaroo city ordinances that violate state preemption, etc). So while I'd done my research and knew what was and wasn't legal I wasn't entirely comfortable with OC, so I've been CCW here (reciprocity with my out of state permit) to just avoid issues.

Today DW and I were coming back from the Clark County Shooting Park. I OC'd in the shotgun and rifle offices while getting the safety brief and nobody batted an eye even though they have big "NO LOADED FIREARMS" beyond this point signs. I wasn't about to leave my handgun unsupervised in a rifle rack outside the office, anyways. On the firing line they were totally cool with me having a condition 1 sidearm while I was zeroing a rifle, they just asked that it stay in the holster when the range was cold -- no problemo.

On the way home we decided to stop for ice cream (a few hours at the range in the sun will do that to you!). It was too hot for a windbreaker and I hadn't packed an IWB holster. At first we figured we'd go to Sonic drive through to be low profile. However, I knew that the shopping center was not in a school zone, I had my NV open carry.org brochure in the glove box, and we had a camera and cell phone with record (audio/video capability) if needed. So I figured, "heck, why not OC..." Of course at this point DW points out that the worst that happens is the local cops gun me down, but hey, they did put up those big signs in North Las Vegas saying that they don't patrol anymore due to budget cuts so maybe law abiding open carriers will have less harassment.

In any event, we swung by Boston Creme frozen yogurt at 6475 N Decatur. TThere was one other customer there and I think one of the owners was running the counter. Nobody said anything although I did get offered a 10% military/LEO discount. After we had our ice cream I had a nice friendly conversation with the manager back in their office. They also rescue dogs and one of the rescues was there -- a bit shy, but cute.

We also swung by the Target on N Decatur to pick up some sundries. I walked right past the rent-a-cop who was in condition white browsing the cosmetics. She did not even notice the sidearm even though DW and I hung out picking up shampoo and such on the aisle right in front of her. Totally oblivious. Nobody else seemed to notice until I got to the checkout line, when the lady behind me in line seemed to be eyeing the gun, a bit unsure. I just kept talking with my wife, and we resisted the temptation to get a candy bar on the way out. We also had a nice conversation with the checkout clerk who welcomed us to LV.

On the way out of the Target the rent a cop -- now back at her post in the front of the store by the shopping carts -- noticed me walking out and her eyes bugged out of her head. I just made eye contact back, smiled and kept walking out.

Happily everything went without incident. I'd definitely endorse the Bostom Creme yogurt place, they made zero deal out of it and it is conveniently located near the shooting park.

Now, if only there can be a way to more conveniently deal with that high school complex on the way to the shooting range. It is very difficult if not impossible for us out-of-staters to comply with GFSZA given its location.

As an aside, my rig was an full-size service "tupperware" sidearm in OWB holster, an OWB mag and tac light carrier, and collared shirt tucked in. DW was present, and I think it helps the image to have a family unit carrying instead of just a "man with a gun." She was jealous because she forgot her OWB holster this time.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:

28kfps

Nice report welcome to OC. You mention being out with the family unit lowers the bystanders concerns. I am often out with my Mom who is in her motorized wheel chair. I am waiting for the, why are you carrying when I am out with my Mom. My response will be, don’t you know who she is? I am sure they will say no. I will answer with she is the most important person in the world and I am her bodyguard, She is my Mom.

Sabotage70

Oh yeah, we're supposed to have a lunch the first sat. of the month but that has been neglected the last couple of months. I know I didn't bring it up this month because I was out of town. But I should be in town for next month.

Sabotage70

Yeah, the first week in August will be busy for me. Hosting a big pool party the 6th. but the following week is open. Enjoy your Strip OC walk. I would join you, but I'm currently in Atlanta, Headed to Europe tomorrow for 3 weeks. My job keeps me on the go!

Maybe next time. I want to go out to First Friday one of these months. I'll just hold off on that till Sept.

But for everyone else I'll start the thread for next week.

28kfps

Was in Las Vegas carrying in Fry’s, Chill’s, and a few hours at a dog rescue facility no problems. Was in Smith’s later in Pahrump and once again talked to another person open carrying and told him about open carry dot org.

Las Vegan

Ran a few errands while OCing my Kel-Tec P11 in a black leather JPB Sleeping Dog holster at 4 o'clock. Also wearing jeans, sneakers, and a long-sleeved button up shirt. I stopped by two offices to pick up paychecks, spent about 45 minutes inside of Bass Pro Shop (grabbed a pistol rack and an Uncle Mike's sling swivel for the Remington 870), went into the Wells Fargo on Blue Diamond in the Target shopping center to deposit the checks, spent a few disappointing minutes poking around in Las Vegas Gun Range on Blue Diamond, got a haircut at Vick's Barbershop on Ft. Apache at Twain, and finally shopped for groceries at the Smiths on W. Flamingo at Ft. Apache before heading back home.

Ironically, the only place that had any problems with me was Las Vegas Gun Range. They have a sign on the door, which I read and then I proceeded into the store. An employee asked if he could help me, and then, noticing my pistol, he asked if it was loaded. I said, "Yes sir, it is."

He said, "You need to read the sign on the door." I said that I had. He said, "It says that all guns must be empty." I pointed out that it also said "...or holstered." He said, "That's not what it means." I shrugged and said something about the problems with ambiguously worded signage and then stepped outside to pop the mag and empty the chamber. Empty pistol reholstered, mag in one pocket and single round in another, I went back in to see that they didn't have what I needed. And that they charge $100 more for their guns than Infinite Arms in N. Las Vegas.

Funny that the bank and grocery store don't mind, and my barber doesn't even blink an eye when I OC in his place. Oh well.

28kfps

Ran a few errands while OCing my Kel-Tec P11 in a black leather JPB Sleeping Dog holster at 4 o'clock. Also wearing jeans, sneakers, and a long-sleeved button up shirt. I stopped by two offices to pick up paychecks, spent about 45 minutes inside of Bass Pro Shop (grabbed a pistol rack and an Uncle Mike's sling swivel for the Remington 870), went into the Wells Fargo on Blue Diamond in the Target shopping center to deposit the checks, spent a few disappointing minutes poking around in Las Vegas Gun Range on Blue Diamond, got a haircut at Vick's Barbershop on Ft. Apache at Twain, and finally shopped for groceries at the Smiths on W. Flamingo at Ft. Apache before heading back home.

Ironically, the only place that had any problems with me was Las Vegas Gun Range. They have a sign on the door, which I read and then I proceeded into the store. An employee asked if he could help me, and then, noticing my pistol, he asked if it was loaded. I said, "Yes sir, it is."

He said, "You need to read the sign on the door." I said that I had. He said, "It says that all guns must be empty." I pointed out that it also said "...or holstered." He said, "That's not what it means." I shrugged and said something about the problems with ambiguously worded signage and then stepped outside to pop the mag and empty the chamber. Empty pistol reholstered, mag in one pocket and single round in another, I went back in to see that they didn't have what I needed. And that they charge $100 more for their guns than Infinite Arms in N. Las Vegas.

Funny that the bank and grocery store don't mind, and my barber doesn't even blink an eye when I OC in his place. Oh well.

I have only been in that store a few times never very impressed. Thanks for the update. I will put it on my no go gun store list just below the Gun store. I do not carry an empty gun into Walmart why would I carry it empty into their gun store.

Last edited:

Lostlittlerobot

Not apologizing for them...but consider this....guessing at what coulda been meant....They are a gun place, they have insurance...It's my understanding that they might only be covered for accidently/horrible disaster **** if guns are unloaded AND holstered (instead of what signs say unloaded,holstered) commas are ors.......

I get this, I really do. Most people are idiots. I deal with people all-all-all the time at work. It is very sad, our world is full of lemmings. Imagine...you...gun store....gun...want accessory....pull out gun...try in accessory....BANG!

Sadly these rules are there...just like when you look at a can of silly string and it says DO NOT INGEST. or DON'T POINT TOWARD EYES. That **** is there because someone did....it ruined it for the rest of us.

I dont really want non smart people pulling out guns in a store I'm in...'fitting their firearm into a holster' or 'trying something out' or whatever!!! I comply at American Shooters (spring mountain and arville). I am there a lot, they host USPSA matches, the guys there know me. I unload and keep my slide locked back in my holster while there. EVEN while competing. I've had many thank me for my safety conciousness. I know they put up with sooooo many idiots who don't know how their own guns work. Imagine their jobs.

So it might have to do with their insurance coverage and how actuaries know how STUPID people are, and how often people get hurt by accidents, WORLDWIDE and insurance law is stupider than anything else right?! ok so rant mostly done now....

While taking my ccw class, I was quite shocked how a simple instruction such as 'put your gun on the table in a safe position, slide locked, empty, no mag, unloaded, safe position'. I watched, cause I'm above average I guess at watching, that about 5 out of 15 people in my class failed this simple instruction. I ducked for cover actually once during this class...cause some idiot sweeped me.

Don't hate the gun ranges. You're paying for the idiocy of the rest.

Vegassteve

Not apologizing for them...but consider this....guessing at what coulda been meant....They are a gun place, they have insurance...It's my understanding that they might only be covered for accidently/horrible disaster **** if guns are unloaded AND holstered (instead of what signs say unloaded,holstered) commas are ors.......

I dont buy that though. NFA even has a sign on the door to that shop that says they welcome all carriers open and concealed.