• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Phila and Suburbs - 2008 Edition

lprgcFrank

imported post

Well after my exciting day on Wednesday...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=12963&forum_id=46&jump_to=208765#p208765

back to normal reporting
No issues OC'ing in Wawa, CVS, Genuardi's, Braxtons, Starbucks, or walking the dog through Wayne

I did have a humorous moment last night as I was walking the dog through downtown Wayne. I was walking west on Lancaster Ave just past Wayne Ave when I hear a passenger in a car stopped at the light exclaim WHAT THE F&^^! THAT GUY HAS A GUN.:what: There were 3 other guys in the car - all early 20's. They look and me with WTF looks and I just smiled and kept walking the dog.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=left]Take the long view, Frank: in another 5 years, they will say: "Hey, another guy who's open carrying. I guess we'll just see more of that. Anyway, where are we gonna go tonight, guys?"
[/align]

lprgcFrank

imported post

My recent experiences have all been pleasantly uneventful - so rather than bore you wiht routine posts - here is something different.

I started a Google map of places that I and others from the PAFOA site have OC'd in Philly and suburbs.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.173378&z=13

For others that have OC's there - feel free to add your experiences.

Blue = no issues
Red = issue - please explain (breifly)
Green - OC events

lprgcFrank

imported post

I had a fun LEO encounter today. My car had a flat while I was running errands so I dropped it off at a local gas station and walked home. I was carrying starbucks containers in each hand and OC'ing my 1911 commander.

Walking up Louella ave by the middle school I see one of the Radnor PD getting on his bike up ahead on the sidewalk. I step onto the grass to let him pass by my strong side. He looks me in the eye and says thank you sir. I said You're welcome. As he passes me he jams on his brakes and looks back at me alternating between the 1911 and my face - but doesn't say anything. I smile and say have a good day and keep on walking home.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Sorry for the light posting - but OC'ing in usual places with no issues

Map updated with some new OC places from when I was SO'ing for the IDPA Nationals at Guthsville Gun Club yesterday and today
- http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.173378&z=13

Dinner at PJ Whelihans off Rt 309 & 476
Exxon, Dunkin Donuts and Burger King off 309 above Rt 22
Holiday Inn at Rt 78 & 100

lprgcFrank

imported post

Good uneventful LEO encounter today while OC'ing my 1911 - I was going into Commerce Bank in Wayne today to pay my school taxes. Radnor PD cruiser pulls up as I'm getting out of my car and he gets out and follows me into the Bank. He does a routine check in with the manager as I talk to the teller. He kept an eye on me and saw me joking with the teller - he signed the Bank's log and then left.

I continue to be impressed with the professional encounters with Radnor PD.

lprgcFrank

imported post

It's been a while since I had a notable OC encounter.

Went to dinner last night with my wife and oldest to Cooz' Corner bar/restaurant in Wayne (W. Wayne and Conestoga). As a change of pace I was OC'ing my Glock 17. I used a NRA 2nd Amendment credit card to pay. On returning with the card - the waitress said "I really like your card" which led into a good conversation about gun rights and OC. She was not aware of OC and she hadn't noticed the G17. I gave her a PA gun rights brochure.

We'll be going back there - an easy walk from home, food was good and reasonable prices and the staff is firearms friendly!