• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in restaurant, drinking legal?

Fenris

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Fenris wrote:
Color me slow, but is it a crime to carry while drinking, or to drink while carrying?

Did you not just read this thread? :p
I guess my dim witted (after-midnight) brain was just wondering if this could be considered a restriction on drinking rather than a restriction on carrying. There being no constitutional (state or federal) guarantee a right to drink un-infringed.

I look forward to abandoning the VA-Tuck.

While I don't drink (or rarely) I don't understand the theoretical difference between "drinking & carrying" vs "drinking & having car keys in my pocket". But again I may not be the sharpest tool in this shed tonight.

armsareok

imported post

It's a crime to have a concealed weapon while being under the influence of alcohol. If you're found guilty, you lose your CHP for 5 years.

Tweaker

imported post

Fenris wrote:
Color me slow, but is it a crime to carry while drinking, or to drink while carrying?

Since I continue to be flambea'ed (sp?) for elaborating to the moral majority on mhea...

NO, IT IS TOTALLY LEGAL. Enjoy! I am serious.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tweaker wrote:
Fenris wrote:

Since I continue to be flambea'ed (sp?) for elaborating to the moral majority on mhea...

NO, IT IS TOTALLY LEGAL. Enjoy! I am serious.
The objection is not to the legality but rather is about the benefit or harm to furthering the acceptance of OC.

It is about the public relations effort directed at whether OCers are perceived as good citizens or beer drinkin', gun packin', coarse people. We are by and large family people, some singles, women and children welcomed - normal, hard working good citizens - it is this non-threatening image we wish to project.

Do I drink? Lets say never in public when OCing and even never when I plan to go out shortly. Were the SHTF and I had even the smell of alcohol on my breath, it could damage my defense and the cause for which so many of us are working.

Either you get that or you don't. ymmv

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
The objection is not to the legality but rather is about the benefit or harm to furthering the acceptance of OC.

It is about the public relations effort directed at whether OCers are perceived as good citizens or beer drinkin', gun packin', coarse people. We are by and large family people, some singles, women and children welcomed - normal, hard working good citizens - it is this non-threatening image we wish to project.

Do I drink? Lets say never in public when OCing and even never when I plan to go out shortly. Were the SHTF and I had even the smell of alcohol on my breath, it could damage my defense and the cause for which so many of us are working.

Either you get that or you don't. ymmv

Yata hey

That's all I was saying.. I just did not say it as eloquently as Grape just did. It was nothing personal aganst Tweaker as he has posted so.

Ed

Glock27Bill

imported post

Fenris wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Fenris wrote:

Did you not just read this thread? :p
I guess my dim witted (after-midnight) brain was just wondering if this could be considered a restriction on drinking rather than a restriction on carrying. There being no constitutional (state or federal) guarantee a right to drink un-infringed.

I look forward to abandoning the VA-Tuck.

While I don't drink (or rarely) I don't understand the theoretical difference between "drinking & carrying" vs "drinking & having car keys in my pocket". But again I may not be the sharpest tool in this shed tonight.
The difference as I see it is that you are carrying a loaded gun.

To further your "keys in my pocket" analogy, the parallel would be "bullets in your pocket."

Tweaker

imported post

Trust me, gentlemens, I "get it." As long as there is room for contention, (and this thread remains unlocked by the moral majority) I will most likely continue to both learn from others and express my views here. You all seem to have knee jerked your way into your overreactions, since if you would recall my first reaction, it was exceedingly honest about the OC with a drink reality.

The post that instigated the poop flinging -

"It is absolutely legal, highly controversial, and frowned upon by a majority of those even in the pro 2A cause.

Full disclosure, I have and will continue to drinkwhile OC, at least until the new legislation takes effect, including in full view of multiple LEOs. No significant issues, and none with LEOs."

It is hard to deny that it becomes personal when Beeg Ed suggests that I "date" another member who had the audacity of agreeing with my point of view and disagreeing with His own.

It doesn't bother me, or I would have not posted my opinions as I have and will continue to do. I shall attempt to sate my disappointment at being disinvited from your NOt VA less festive festivities, Ed. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sETQvtGStbQ

I shall remain a reasonable, presentable, clean andarticulate OCer who onoccasion willconsume A (single) (one) (solitary) adult beverage whilst enjoyingthe local culinary delights with my beautiful baby andwife.

Does it make you feel guys better that I have a full set of tooths and only one Confederate flag hat? Hell, I even have a job for the first time in 16 months as of yesterday!

He isa story book, man!- Vice President Plugs Biden

wylde007

imported post

Tweaker wrote:
Hell, I even have a job for the first time in 16 months as of yesterday!
There's something to celebrate!

Congratulations.

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled controversy... :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
When it comes to using and furthering our rights....not everyone is going to agree all the time.
We don't even agree on what the Code of Virginia says all of the time.

In this case, 98% of of Va. OCers agree that it is legal to OC and enjoy an adult beverage, but that such is bad form. For those that wish a cite for this I offer -
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/users/71.html :D
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/38412-3.html :lol:

If I'm not mistaken, both Mike and John have expressed this opinion before also.

However, I would not think less of you as a person, nor take issue with your character as a result of your indulging in the practice or defense of mixing these two agents.

[line]
More important than this single issue perhaps is that we exchange ideas, thoughts and even opinions without personal animosity from either camp/side on the issue.

Flame wars - insults, real or imagined - yelling (typing in all caps or oversize fonts) do nothing to resolve the issue/answer the question but do present a negative image when hung out on our clothes line for the neighbors to see.

I suspect that while less threads have been locked for flame wars than have been locked for more odious rule violations, it is nonetheless IMO a valid response.

Momma always said to wear clean underwear 'cause you never know when your going to be in an accident, but she didn't tell me what was gonna happen to my clean underwear if I actually did have an accident. Good to remember that it can still be messy. And that is the gospel according to GS.

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tweaker wrote:
It is hard to deny that it becomes personal when Beeg Ed suggests that I "date" another member who had the audacity of agreeing with my point of view and disagreeing with His own.
You both agree to drink in public.. my "sounds like a date" was stated to express that if you feel that way, then I feel you should go set up an OC drinking dinner/lunch/date and see how that works out for you. I am not suggesting that you start "dating" anyone. I also suggested that you do it far away from here.

wylde007

imported post

Very funny. (your "cites")

The OP asked about legality. He did not ask about personal opinions or for an editorialization of the subject.

It is easy to get bound up in emotion and opinion on this topic, much the same way the antis do. And, while our conversations may veer off topic and into waters of differing perspectives, it is always important to reflect on the law and what it means.

Laws do not enable. Laws prohibit.

In this case there is no law restricting consumption of alcohol while OC. Certainly it is understandable that many members here, particularly those who have been fighting this battle for our rights for a very long time, may see mixing of two practices as being counterproductive to our mission and our efforts.

I would fully intend to honor the posed suggestion that, when out as a group and at the behest of the group, I not drink when I carry. That's not a difficult proposition to swallow.

However, when acting on my own, in my own right and of my own volition, I may choose to imbibe. I do not choose to disarm myself to enjoy that luxury and neither should anyone else.

If we are to constantly worry about keeping up appearances for a bunch of people we really don't like anyway (antis) then we waste precious time and energy that could well be devoted to more productive pursuits.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
snip.......

If we are to constantly worry about keeping up appearances for a bunch of people we really don't like anyway (antis) then we waste precious time and energy that could well be devoted to more productive pursuits.
If it were not for the antis, we could all go home and live our lives

It is the antis that created the conditions to which we are responding and to whom we direct much of our pro-active endeavors.

+1 overall

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
If it were not for the antis, we could all go home and live our lives.
Or go about any of our daily routine and live our lives, for that matter.

It is the antis that created the conditions to which we are responding and to whom we direct much of our pro-active endeavors.
Indeed.

AJG

imported post

Wow... this is a great topic and very widely opinionated!

+1 for Tweaker for acting like a "normal" person. Going out, open carrying and being perceived by the general population to be regular, safe and normal. And I applaude Tweaker saying "I simply feel that having A drink is very much part of "daily American life." I just looked and I saw nothingthat places me as some threat to this website."

- 1 for Grapeshot's post saying, "It is about the public relations effort directed at whether OCers are perceived as good citizens or beer drinkin', gun packin', coarse people. We are by and large family people, some singles, women and children welcomed - normal, hard working good citizens - it is this non-threatening image we wish to project." Why should you have to portray any kind of public relations effort if thats the way you live your life everyday? Cause it'll backfire on you just as bad as it did for Tiger Woods!

+1 wylde007 wrote:
snip.......

People should just act normal........not trying to sway a public opinion based on false actions or play acting.

Ya know... I'm all for having the ability to carry concealed or open... I want it to be my choice, not the choice of the government and not barred to a type of venue. I want it to be my choice. But a majority of the time reading posts on here, I get the feeling of a 1700'ish Temperance Movement...

jeezzz I mean seriously Ed.. did you really say to Tweaker your not invited to mydinner because....? That to me is like the 7 year old that say's if we don't play me way I'm taking my ball and going home.

If ya'll want to percieve "A pro-gun Internet community focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life." You should do it without reservation. Selective membership happened with the nazi's and with the kkk and look where it got them!

r/

Alex

nova

imported post

AJG wrote:
- 1 for Grapeshot's post saying, "It is about the public relations effort directed at whether OCers are perceived as good citizens or beer drinkin', gun packin', coarse people. We are by and large family people, some singles, women and children welcomed - normal, hard working good citizens - it is this non-threatening image we wish to project." Why should you have to portray any kind of public relations effort if thats the way you live your life everyday? Cause it'll backfire on you just as bad as it did for Tiger Woods!
Maybe because the majority of us aren't beer drinkin', gun packin', coarse people as we're often portrayed as by the media.

Just because it may be legal, doesn't mean it is good for the open carry community.

It may be legal for a fat man to wear a banana hammock at the beach, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea, or show other overweight people in a good light.

The purpose of this site is to further the cause of open carry, so the general public won't :what: or :uhoh: or :shock: just because they see someone with a holstered firearm. Just as we won't see NFA '34 repealed overnight, we need to keep gun owners and carriers in a positive light while in public. Like it or not, most people would think negatively of seeing someone drinking while carrying, just as they would if they saw someone drinking while driving, or drinking while using a table saw.

AJG

imported post

nova wrote:
Maybe because the majority of us aren't beer drinkin', gun packin', coarse people as we're often portrayed as by the media.

Just because it may be legal, doesn't mean it is good for the open carry community.

It may be legal for a fat man to wear a banana hammock at the beach, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea, or show other overweight people in a good light.

The purpose of this site is to further the cause of open carry, so the general public won't :what: or :uhoh: or :shock: just because they see someone with a holstered firearm. Just as we won't see NFA '34 repealed overnight, we need to keep gun owners and carriers in a positive light while in public. Like it or not, most people would think negatively of seeing someone drinking while carrying, just as they would if they saw someone drinking while driving, or drinking while using a table saw.

Your fat so you cant come to my club....

Your slow so you can't play in the game...

The entire premise of this website is to allow people to speak and to share views. To enlighten people as to how they are actively persueing changing the perspectives of the un-educated and to develop relationships with business owners. More and more I read... I'm right & your wrong.... you can't come to play (ie your not invited to my next dinner) because it doesnt "conform"... what doesn't it conform too??? Its legal and it depicts a good majority of the peoples nature. It's a false impression of what the normal person is and what they represent if they are not allowed to do what they legally can do, responsibily. Where are the rules that say I can't attend a OC event and enjoy a adult beverage if I so choose and give off a great personna of a person that can OC responsibly while enjoying adult beverage. I just read it as being selective to the cause and when your selective, then your harmful to the cause. My .02