• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Schools Afterhours

mpearce

Melissa has quoted and offered reduced rates, for anyone in Michigan, based on a case by case basis (financial need) for firearms issues. She has handled a few cases for free (pro bono). Its just like shopping for a car, you don't go to the dealership without cash. If you need financing both the car dealer and Melissa offer this.

My decision to reduce rates or handle matters pro bono is dependent on several factors, including but not limited to the venue, the distance from my office, the facts of the case, the ability of the client to pay, the complexity of the matter, the need for an expert witness, and the statements already made by the potential client to the police and/or in social media forums.

Yes, I have been wrong in some decisions to handle matters for a reduced fee or on a pro bono basis. But then again, we learn by living and doing. I believe in giving back and using my abilities to help those who truly need and appreciate the help. While I cannot always judge one's character accurately to determine who truly needs my help and who does not, I do not allow one bad case to taint my desire to give back to the community and state that I live in.

While I do not practice solely in firearms/constitutional issues, I always consider the ramifications of the effect of the matter on the client's constitutional rights whether it is the Second Amendment, the Fourth Amendment, or the First Amendment. However, each one of our fundamental rights comes with the need for each of us to act in a responsible manner when exercising our rights. In addition, we need to be actively working to preserve those rights within the law and do nothing that will minimize our ability to exercise the rights or minimize our grandchildren's ability to exercise the rights we enjoy today. One bad set of facts/one bad case can make a bad law that will effect all of us and our future generations for decades to come.

eastmeyers

I would be careful with pushing this issue until you know how the local judges would rule on the issue. There is one judge in Oakland County, who may rule that you are limited in the concealed carry of your firearm to only the dropping off and picking up of a student of the school and firearm is only concealed by being in the vehicle and that schools are weapon free zones, where even open carry is prohibited.

In addition, I would have at least a couple of thousands of dollars in a bank account ready to fund a defense in the event that you are charged with violating MCL 28.425o. An appeal may cost you even more money. Until we have a clear written opinion on the issue from the appellate courts, the issue of open carry on school property is subject to the ruling of local judges in the various district and circuit courts.

The OP, can correct me if I am wrong, and I strongly encourage him to do so if I am. I believe the individual that has an issue with him carrying is just another member of the ham-radio group, either an equal, or a subordinate. This individual is not a member of the School staff, a student, parent, nor is it someone within the hierarchy of the City or School system, such as a School Board Member, a Police Officer, or A City Attorney. From what has been said, he has been to these meetings before, and has no issue with anyone within the School or City hierarchy. I may be corrected if I am wrong, but it seems as if he has already, "tested", the waters, and they are clear, and he is good to go. Don't get me wrong, ***IANAL***, this is not legal advice, just my perspective. He is not their for an un-lawful reason, he is not tresspassing, he is at a meeting, where he is a memeber.

There have been hundreds of cases of dozens and dozens of indivduals (known to me), in Michigan that have OCed on School Property w/CPL. Very few (a handful), have had encounters while doing so, out of those that have, all but one, have left with an appologie from LE, and an explination to whomever called LE that it is legal. Again this is ONLY know to me, and again ***IANAL***.

***IANAL*** = I Am Not A Lawyer :D

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I know, but I was referring to the resources being diverted to an issue that we really didn't need to have now. We have a (R) Lansing, and this situation is causing problems with any bills (PFZ Elimination) that we really needed to devote our limited resources to. It is an old trick of the opposition, simply bankrupt the other side and when they no longer have the money to fight they will have to give up!

I spoke to our NRA Lobbyist at the NRA convention in PA this summer and he indicated to me that this CADL thing has really done damage to the carry movement. He told me that it was unlikely that any important bills for us would be passed, due in part to this issue.

We have to pick our battles and in my opinion this was one we should have not started. At that convention Ted Nugent told a large audience that open carry and the people who do it are stupid. Nearly everyone applauded. I don't know if he speaks for the NRA but it isn't looking to good for their support. I don't know where the other organizations stand on open carry.

In short if someone who is even remotely associated with us is going to be a test case then they should at least run it by the people they are going to need for help or support before doing it. And NOT on a public forum. Everyone on the other side reads these forums or has someone scanning them daily, believe me I know this is fact.

We must organize into one well oiled machine with good leadership to get the changes we need. This does not mean we lose our individual forums or beliefs. Just like the Army, Navy, Air Force, etc. They remain individual services but unite for the common cause.

Ken

This post brings tears of joy to my eyes, it is so RIGHT!

stainless1911

Banned
The issue at CADL still needed to be fought, and it would have been, sooner or later. If Lambsing wont touch gun rights as a result, that proves that they are a bunch of sheep with no backbone who were just looking for a justifiable excuse to sit and do nothing.

I keep hearing people say that we lost our rights one at a time, and we have to gain them one at a time, baby steps yada yada yada. I'm sure the antis LOVE that strategy.