• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in WI

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Please to feel free to start your own thread and explain just what you are trying to do around here. We'd like to help, I'm sure, but need to know how.

Cigar-store Indian says "Chance?" to passing ladies until one stops and asks, "I thought Indians said 'how', why do you say 'chance'?" Indian says, "Me know how, me want chance."

We want the chance to help. How?

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Offline I have been criticized for appearing to be anti-conceal cary. I am not against concealed carry. I would support any reasonable concealed carry provision. The key word is reasonable. I am adamant that I will not surrender any of my current open carry rights in order to sell concealed carry. Treating concealed carry as an optional manner of carry to open carry is fine. If a person wishes to pay the cost of a license and training in order ot have the privilege to conceal carry, that is their decision. Just as long as our open carry rights are left alone.

I am providing the following link. It is a Brief numbered 04-1 that was published by the State. It describes the Personal Protection Act which was numbered as SB-214. Read the section titled definitions and exceptions and see what the sponsors were willing to concede in order to get a conceal carry provision passed. Compare the places of exception to the exceptions attached to open carry, then tell me which manner of carry we should concentrate on. Concealed carry that will certainly be burdened with a multitude of restrictions or statewide recognition that open carry is constitutionaly protected by Article I section 25. Open carry that comes with few prohibited locations.

http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/lrb/pubs/wb/04wb1.pdf

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In some of my posts I use the terms privilege and rights. Some may not be aware that there is a significant legal difference. A privilege is a provision whereby the State allows us to do something under certain conditions. The State can require such things as fees and testing and various rules in order for us to partake in a privilege. Whether or not we retain that privilege is controlled by the State. That is why driving a car is a privilege. The State requires testing, license fees and has various rules of the road. Whether or not we keep our licenses is at the judgment of the Department of Transportation. On the other hand a constitutional right applies to all of legal age and good conduct and comes free of an assigned financial fee. A constitutional right can only be removed by due process which requires voter approval and legislative action. Even the State Supreme Court can't add or remove a constitutional right. The SSC does not have authority to make or remove rights, it's responsibility is limited to interpretation of state and constitutional law.

Pointman

imported post

How is it that the government, which itself is governed by the Constitution, can prohibit people from exercising their constitutional rights on government property?

While my account is newly created, my reading these forums is not, so please don't waste everyone's time repeating answers that state the NRA is there only to collect money, or other such nonsense.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Pointman wrote:
While my account is newly created, my reading these forums is not, so please don't waste everyone's time repeating answers that state the NRA is there only to collect money, or other such nonsense.
Oops, sorry I posted your welcome in your 'car carry retort' and my response to your evidently rhetorical NRA question. I see that you already know the answer to your question - now embrace it.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Pointman

imported post

Hi Doug. I posted what I feel to be different questions under their appropriate topics. I haven't seen those particular questions asked, nor answered, in all of my reading on this forum, and in other sources. I have read the posts on Yellowstone Park, where people are also not allowed to carry a gun because of regulations. I think that my first question is better placed here than there, and am simply looking to be better informed.

I realize (from reading many of your posts) that you have a strong opinion about the NRA. I don't wish to argue that opinion, nor attack or defend the NRA. I posted the ending comment in hope this question doesn't degrade into a flame-feast, not to offend anyone.

Thanks for the welcome of me being a posting member, and not just a reader.