• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Lefty Driving in OR

We-the-People

I've spoken to my father that lives in OR about this. His responce was..

"Law enforcement will consider it concealed, even in this case, if the holster can't be seen. In other words if it's concealed behind your body or console as you sit in your vehicle.

I've talked to several LEOs and this's the way they interpret this. I don't know if they have case law to back it up."

Does anyone have any actual experience or cases in regards to this. Seems to me the law is clear, but I dont really want to test it in another state.

First of all, never take legal advice from someone who is not an attorney whom you have retained.

Second, NEVER EVER ask police for legal advice. You will end up in jail.

Third........
ORS 166.250 (3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

If the weapon is in a belt holster and is not covered by your clothing, it is NOT concealed. If the vehicle console or door, or perhaps a passenger sitting beside you is obscuring it, but you do not have it under your clothing....you are within the law.

Now, that being said, you will beat the charge. That doesn't mean that if you run into officer Richard Cranium the you can't possibly end up "taking a ride". Not likely but it is always possible.

AND, remember the FIRST thing I said up above.....HINT...Read my "signature".

scottk

First of all, never take legal advice from someone who is not an attorney whom you have retained.

Second, NEVER EVER ask police for legal advice. You will end up in jail.

Third........
ORS 166.250 (3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

If the weapon is in a belt holster and is not covered by your clothing, it is NOT concealed. If the vehicle console or door, or perhaps a passenger sitting beside you is obscuring it, but you do not have it under your clothing....you are within the law.

Now, that being said, you will beat the charge. That doesn't mean that if you run into officer Richard Cranium the you can't possibly end up "taking a ride". Not likely but it is always possible.

AND, remember the FIRST thing I said up above.....HINT...Read my "signature".

I'm sorry, but I cant take any advice from you. :)

The law looks clear to me. I'm going to be far from home, and just don't want to have to deal with any orificers. I know I'm really worrying about nothing.
I hear that the Columbia County Sheriff is going to be up this way at the Tacoma Dome in April with portable finger print scanner to get people their CHL. Its only about a 2 hour drive for me to drive down there.

catastrophic_success

It's okay. This is what the law says:

So if you carry in a belt holster, you're good to go.

The law does not say "weapons carried on belt holsters are not concealed"

it says "weapons carried Openly on belt holsters are not concealed"

If you don't have a CHL you couldn't cover your belt-holstered weapon with a jacket or shirt.

Last edited:

BrandonW

I've spoken to my father that lives in OR about this. His responce was..

"Law enforcement will consider it concealed, even in this case, if the holster can't be seen. In other words if it's concealed behind your body or console as you sit in your vehicle.

I've talked to several LEOs and this's the way they interpret this. I don't know if they have case law to back it up."

Does anyone have any actual experience or cases in regards to this. Seems to me the law is clear, but I dont really want to test it in another state.

I was arrested for Illegal Possession of a Firearm last year for tgis exact thing. I was OCing in a belt holster on my right side and the officer considered it concealed. All charges were dropped the next day so they muzt not be able to back it up.