• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on property outside

Jack House

Why would I need to be ready to fight? I assume you mean Law Enforcement but if they know that OC of a pistol is 100% legal on my own property is legal then why would they even bother? I plan on doing this since my current way of defensive carry is open carry I plan on doing this when I am able. Most of my work will be cross border work Mexico and in New Mexico. Any clarification you can supply me with will be greatly appreciated!
You can beat the rap but you wont beat the ride. Even if it is perfectly legal, they can still arrest you. Cops don't really know much about the law, this is especially true for exceptions to the law.

Do not expect a police officer to know about the exception for property under your control, or the exception for travel. And even if they do, they can and may even still arrest you. Afterall, it's illegal to carry a handgun in Texas. Texas law simply lists some defenses to prosecution. This means you shouldn't get arrested, doesn't mean you wont.

()pen(arry

^^ This

As I posted in another thread:
What is legal is what council can convince a judge and/or jury is legal.

What is arrestable is everything. Everything. And if you think there's meaningful sanction against an officer who arrests falsely, the Scientologists are looking for more adherents.

What should be discussed, when someone wants to know if it's okay to do something, is less what standing law declares legal or illegal, and more what is or isn't prone to get you arrested, no matter the legality. Court-adjudicated legality is a concern for those who can afford legal bills. Arrest likelihood is what most of us are interested in.