• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC or not to OC

jdholmes

A criminal playing a game where they get $100 for a gun grab? What the heck is that about?

If I am a criminal I am going to steer clear of the guy carrying a 1911...because at the end of the day I want to enjoy the fruit of my spoils rather than take a good chance at either being hospitalized or dead.

ScottE

I believe most people record their encounters for legal purposes because believe it or not, LEOs LIE. I think they post on youtube for education. I also believe that attention is EXACTLY what this whole thing needs. If enough people see the youtube vids, they'll know it's perfectly legal, cops won't get called, no harm, no foul.

I understand the point, I just think most go about it too agressively. Look what happened to OC in California because of this sort of behavior. I believe this is an issue that needs to be eased into and forced upon the general public. More tact and less force.

I TRULY believe that the majority of OCers do it simply because the laws says they can.

I totally agree with this.

No offense to anything you said BUT you can have all the training in the world but when 'the bullets start flying' most of that crap goes out of the window and pure survival kicks in. I'm a US Army combat vet, I KNOW!!!!!! I dont care if its military, civilian, police, SWAT or whatever kinda training. Once you hear that first shot, you're ******* is gonna pucker just like someone's who has had no training!!!!

Well, muscle memory starts to set in when you reach 1000 repetitions regardless of what you're doing. So I'd say a person that has practiced gun grab retention, grappling, drawing and getting on target cleanly and quickly, and doing this often, is going to fair far better than the person that spends most of their time walking around their neighborhood with a video camera.

ScottE

A criminal playing a game where they get $100 for a gun grab? What the heck is that about?

You should read what I posted again.

If I am a criminal I am going to steer clear of the guy carrying a 1911...because at the end of the day I want to enjoy the fruit of my spoils rather than take a good chance at either being hospitalized or dead.

Well, 1 out of 5 cops shot are shot with their own gun. And there are a number of news reports on attempted gun grabs on OC carriers. I just read one earler today. Luckly for the good guy someone was near by the help the guy out and the bad guy gave up and ran off. Scary stuff out there. Much easier to grab a gun you can see and know is there.

cteaglesfan

Well, 1 out of 5 cops shot are shot with their own gun. And there are a number of news reports on attempted gun grabs on OC carriers. I just read one earler today. Luckly for the good guy someone was near by the help the guy out and the bad guy gave up and ran off. Scary stuff out there. Much easier to grab a gun you can see and know is there.

I've OC'd a few times, not too far from home. When I did and I was around crowds of people common sense told me firmly tuck my elbow against or behind my weapon for any morons that may try that exact same thing.

Most people that aren't aware of carry laws in CT will most likely see your gun and they'll probably be foolish enough to think you are an off duty LEO and them attempting to grab your gun would be virtual suicide, right????

cteaglesfan

I understand the point, I just think most go about it too agressively. Look what happened to OC in California because of this sort of behavior. I believe this is an issue that needs to be eased into and forced upon the general public. More tact and less force.

I totally agree with this.

Well, muscle memory starts to set in when you reach 1000 repetitions regardless of what you're doing. So I'd say a person that has practiced gun grab retention, grappling, drawing and getting on target cleanly and quickly, and doing this often, is going to fair far better than the person that spends most of their time walking around their neighborhood with a video camera.

The first time I had a shot fired at me in Iraq in 1991, I was lucky enough to be protected by a heavily armored M113A3 :D Do you know what my first thought was??? HIT THE FLOOR!!!!! And that's exactly what I did. Looked at my squad leader and he had the same lost scared look as the rest of us. My point is no situation or training can prepare you for life and death situations. But I agree that I was better prepared with the training than without it. BUT the initial reaction is the same!!!!

ScottE

The first time I had a shot fired at me in Iraq in 1991, I was lucky enough to be protected by a heavily armored M113A3 :D Do you know what my first thought was??? HIT THE FLOOR!!!!! And that's exactly what I did. Looked at my squad leader and he had the same lost scared look as the rest of us. My point is no situation or training can prepare you for life and death situations. But I agree that I was better prepared with the training than without it. BUT the initial reaction is the same!!!!

Yeah, I'm not saying training will make you react as perfectly as James Bond, but in a real situation, training will be far more beneficial than being an expert with cell phone cameras and LEO encounters.

I just think for a number of people that carry, whether it be OC or even CC, the idea of carrying is a novelty, more so than a tool for personal defense. I see this more from OC people though. CC people have nothing to prove or show off since no one knows they are carrying.

Last edited:

cteaglesfan

Yeah, I'm not saying training will make you react as perfectly as James Bond, but in a real situation, training will be far more beneficial than being an expert with cell phone cameras and LEO encounters.

I just think for a number of people that carry, whether it be OC or even CC, the idea of carrying is a novelty, more so than a tool for personal defense. I see this more from OC people though. CC people have nothing to prove or show off since no one knows they are carrying.

This is an open carry forum. These guys are pretty passionate about it. But they also love to debate.

I don't really think it's showing off Bro.

So me voting in November is showing off????

Or is it just exercising my 15th ammendment rights???

ScottE

This is an open carry forum. These guys are pretty passionate about it. But they also love to debate.

I don't really think it's showing off Bro.

So me voting in November is showing off????

Or is it just exercising my 15th ammendment rights???

Not saying all OC people are like this. Just saying that exercising a right, isn't always the right thing to do in every scenerio. Sometimes more tact should be in place.

This is an OC forum, but there are also many other gun related topics here that CC people can talk about.

cteaglesfan

Why can't we 'argue' about something we all agree on, like illegal immigrants (just kidding) :lol:

CARRY ON guys!!! (no matter how you do it)

luckyykid

And what does Luckyykid do when a person just says "Piss off, and walks away?"

First I ask if he is Davidmcbeth.....j/k

I think we already beat that issue to death so I won't go back into it. The only thing I said to eaglesfan is that he can expect the police TO BE CALLED. That's from a resident, not a police observation.

OC for ME

Cite? I would be very interested in reading the news reports you allude to.

cteaglesfan

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot,

Sorry I didn't fully read both. I kinda 'skimmed' through them. Most of that was pre 13th and 14th ammendment (1870ish) of course. You'd be a fool if you arm someone who you we trying to enslave.

They are quite long aren't they.

My point was to respond to your belief that OC or rather the objection to it had little to do with color. Many of our control laws originated with just that in mind.

cteaglesfan

I was in Chicago in the 80's and can agree 100% -- gun control was and still is about controlling certain segment(s) of the population.

Never really dug into why you couldn't carry a gun in the sate of Illinois. I figured it went back to the Al Capone days, from all the gun violence in Chicago. They couldn't outlaw it just in Chicago so they did the whole damn state. Why didn't they simply do like NY State/NY City did???

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Never really dug into why you couldn't carry a gun in the sate of Illinois. I figured it went back to the Al Capone days, from all the gun violence in Chicago. They couldn't outlaw it just in Chicago so they did the whole damn state. Why didn't they simply do like NY State/NY City did???

Both are massive failures and show complete disdain for the safety and rights of LACs.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Both are massive failures and show complete disdain for the safety and rights of LACs.

You can hear the federal court case Moore v. Madigan .. the NRA has a link to the audio .. the 100 yr old judge noted his uncle in NYC used to carry (illegally) and that the word "bear" in the amendment must mean to carry ... I was not happy with the one lawyer (purportedly pro-2nd) talking like exceptions for women with protective orders should be provided by state law.