• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC picinc at Silverdale Waterfront Park (WA) gets big time press!

FMCDH

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
FMCDH wrote:
According to the spot, the city council now has the issue on the table for amendment, or will very soon.

If they said "city council," that would be incorrect. It would be the Board of Commissioners who have legislative authority over county parks.

They have been telling me that the issue will be on the table very soon since September, 2007. They have a different definition for "very soon" than you and I.

I just checked the agenda for various meetings of the board here and here. There is no mention of revising the county code in general or KCC 10.12.080 specifically.

The Kitsap County Commissioners have a habit of telling you what you want to hear, but seldom following through.

That said, I hope the radio report is correct, but I'm not holding my breath.
Just my bad memory...in my defense, I was traveling at 60 MPH in rush-hour traffic at the time....hehe :p

FMCDH

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
head_NS.gif
Dueling Gun Laws 06/02/2009
Love that headline :D

dac844

imported post

i missed it... if i would have know about this before i seen it on the news then i would have been there, if there's any other events in kitsap county to support this, let me know, i'm in.

j2l3

imported post

dac844 wrote:
i missed it... if i would have know about this before i seen it on the news then i would have been there, if there's any other events in kitsap county to support this, let me know, i'm in.

All you have to do is watch this forum. You will see other meets as well.

Welcome to OCDO, hope you stay a while and jump in when you feel comfortable!

MadHatter66

imported post

I am writing a email to Kitsap County commissioners...

Posted here for editing... Content changes will be made at authors discretion ;)

Commissioner Garrido,

As a citizen of Kitsap County I am pleased to hear that you are personally going to take on amending KCC 10.12.080. I heard this from story run KUOW, and think that it is wonderful that we have a commissioner working on this change. I know many people personally that have been working with the county to get them removed. I would like you to know that many of us have been treated as uneducated or unintelligent people by county authorities in the past, including commissioners. Most of us are actually quite the opposite, and are very well educated. Many of us have, or currently are, serving our country by means of military service. We are just asking that this be taken care of. We will be following the agenda for this to come up in the near future.

The editors of the Kitsap Sun (http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/jun/02/our-view-county-should-drop-its-parks-gun-ban/) asked for the code to be amended very soon, and I would have agree with them. It is time that the county fall within the state law. Many of us carry to protect our families, our children and ourselves. I cannot speak for the rest of the people within our group, but I would venture a guess that most of us would come to the aid of a complete stranger that is in a county park at a moment’s notice. That is the spirit of community, to help those around us that are in need and right now there are people within your county that are making a request. Please hear us.

On May 31, 2009 members of opencarry.org, which includes myself, gathered in Silverdale Waterfront Park. We did so to tell the county in a unified voice that we know you are in violation. Many of us have emailed commissioners, the prosecutor’s office and other county offices often times to be told that what we are saying is very interesting, and will be looked into. This has been ongoing for the last year or so. It was finally decided that another picnic in the county would be in order, and possibly some local media attention called to our cause. The Kitsap Sun and Q13 decided initially to take us up on our offer to tell our side of the story, KUOW later did the same. The Kitsap Sun editorial board then decided to write am opinion piece in which they called the county actions “deplorable.” We are still waiting to hear from the county for their side of the story, and I am not talking about Deputy Wilson, who has been taking this on, and answering questions. Deputy Wilson is the with the sheriff’s department, they do now make or amend law in the county, just enforce it. It would sound to me like Deputy Wilson is growing tired of saying the same thing, that it will not be enforced because it is contrary to state law. We are still waiting on official word from Kitsap County in response to what we are asking.

We are asking our elected representatives here in the county to hear us as constituents, and amend 10.12.080. We have done our part as citizens of the county, state and United State of America. It is time that you act on your word that the language will be changed. A code on the books that the sheriff’s office and prosecutors office will not enforce leaved the county open for a huge liability, and possibly the loss of millions in a lawsuit against the county. The amendment would serve the community in both ways, because I know that I would not want my tax dollars being paid out to someone because the county knew that their code was unenforceable, and yet decided to leave it on the books.

Commissioners, I urge you to do the right thing. Please, amend KCC 10.12.080.

This is in response to Garrido saying that she will "put this issue on the commissioners' agenda soon" to KUOW.

Ajetpilot

imported post

I have written to them also:
Dear County Commissioners:

I spoke on the issue of Kitsap County's illegal parks gun ban at two County Commissioners Meetings many months ago. The first was the Monday PM Briefing on 12-10-07; the second time was 4-16-08 Wednesday Work Study Session. The minutes of the second meeting state, "The Commissioners agree to hold a public meeting to discuss the repeal of the County ordinance prohibiting firearms in County Parks." That promised meeting was never held.

In light of recent events surrounding the Open Carry picnic in Silverdale Waterfront Park, including today's editorial in the Kitsap Sun, and yesterday's comment by Kitsap County Sheriff''s spokesman Scot Wilson on radio station KUOW that, " It is a law that probably does need to be amended on the books," I request again that the county change the wording of KCC 10.12.080 to bring it into compliance with Washington State Law, RCW 9.41.290.

I have attached a copy of the minutes of the 4-16-08 Wednesday Work Session.

Bruce A. Johnston
Kitsap County resident

--
Washington State Constitution Article I, Section 24:
RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.
The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired...

mr.magnum

imported post

Just found this info and I am a new member to the forum, also a leatherneck! Please send me exact time and place intell. E-mail; me at 'firestriker72@gmail.com". Would love to get together with some fellow jarheads and BS. And by the way, I will be OC, regardless of the PD, if it can really encourage others and bringenlightenment to the cause! Semper Fi!!!

EDIT TO THIS ENTRY!!! Just realized after looking around the site, I missed the boat on this event. If another should come up, please notify me at the e-mail address listed above. Thanks alot.