• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Sends a Message

MichaelWDean

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
I would love to see; an United States where law-abiding citizens could openly carry everywhere and where it would be impossible to sue one of those citizens if he/she used deadly force in self-defense or defense of another.
If you wanna see what that might look like, check out this L. Neil Smith / Scott Bieser graphic novel, "Roswell, Texas."
http://www.bigheadpress.com/roswell

It's excellent, and goes on for several hundred pages.
Click each image on a page to go to the next page.

MWD

John Wolver

imported post

good thread, and all points well made. A firearm does have a calming affect. and it shouldnt be ignored. Should it be abused, no. and we all agree with that.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I have noticed the calming effect too, at a Starbucks a gang member started coming in had one foot in the door saw me and my firearm in line did an about face and walked away.

I must say though that it probably only has a calming effect, depending on personal attitude and actions.

Seif5034

imported post

protector84 wrote:
Unfortunately, we have become a nation of endless coddling, no discipline, and blind acceptance of everyone regardless of whether merit is there or not.
Amen!

rottman43055

imported post

Pretty good thread the OP started here.

Once I believe some jacked up guy was going to try to blind side me while I was OCing, but it didn't happen.

I agree that OC stops a lot of problems before they start.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Apparently, Mongo has forgotten about the intitial successes of the Japanese "Bonzai" attacks. The Imp Japanese infantryman only had a bolt action rifle and large numbers of them would charge w/fixed bayonets against allied forces line of defenses. The first few times they would do this they could overrun the defenseive position and capture it. Of course they would lose the position again and have to re-charge to gain it back. They weren't able to keep this up due to not being able to get replacements for the soldiors they lost each time.

This same tactic was used a few times with sucess by the N Koreans, too.

Oh yeah, and there was that little fiasco at "Little Big Horn", too. Custer's men were far better armed than the Indians, but the soldiors were out numbered and out manuveured.

The thing about being out numbered 100 or 200+ to 1, is that it plays hell on a well armed and well trained soldiors psyche.

M

McX

imported post

The calming effect. On the person your dealing with. I notice the calming effect on ME the carrier; I won't be intimidated, I won't be angered, I won't be provoked. But most of all the "assailant" won't do Jaque Shite' to me. I've had them view my weapon, and move to a distance, and act like monkeys; insult, obnoxious, abusive, intimidating, unruly. But they don't DO jaque shite'. End of confrontation, and I walk away. In my humble opinion.

M

McX

imported post

But also TaskForce, let us not forget the lesson of Rourke's Drift.

FiremanJoe

imported post

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.......

Yes I think people get more polite when they see a OC. Now one of my observations is, being that I am a people watcher, I feel you can quickly an easily tell the BG's in the crowd, the people that seem to zero in on the gun before your close, the old I smell bacon thing, usually thugs seem to look down at the pistol then steer wide. I seen guys turn around an go back out of a store after seeing me OC. I've seen a guy about freak was rolling some joints, and I came out of the stop an rob. So Yea I think people tend to realize how much of ass they are....lol

Yes I feel a armed society is morepolite. I know I drive better and when I get cut off in traffic I ijust smile go ahead make my day, it ll be you that gets pulled over is what i think...lol

J

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Two things:

!) so the gist of this thread is that and armed society is a polite society. Not only is it perfectly rational to teach a 5 year old gun safety and responsibility, it works on adults who's parents didn't give them that memo....

2)
attachment.php

How do you do a wheelie with your hand off the throttle?

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ixtow wrote:
Two things:

!) so the gist of this thread is that and armed society is a polite society. Not only is it perfectly rational to teach a 5 year old gun safety and responsibility, it works on adults who's parents didn't give them that memo....

2)
attachment.php

How do you do a wheelie with your hand off the throttle?
It's a skill, like shootin' down UFO's with a revolver while doin' a wheelie with your hand off the throttle....