• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC today in Madison

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
imported post

Back at it today. Walmart Supercenterin Monona/South Towne. Went with my 28 year old son. Lunch at Subway first, then about 1.5 hours grocery shopping. Not a peep. My son said a few shoppers looked down at my Glock, but just continued on down the aisle. Ho hum.:)

:celebrate

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Plankton wrote:
Back at it today. Walmart Supercenterin Monona/South Towne. Went with my 28 year old son. Lunch at Subway first, then about 1.5 hours grocery shopping. Not a peep. My son said a few shoppers looked down at my Glock, but just continued on down the aisle. Ho hum.:)

:celebrate

For the most part, I do not notice people looking at my XD45. But my son does and he gets a kick out of it.

One time he counted the number of times a waitress looked down at my gun while I was looking over the menu. He had a laugh over that one.

iMav

imported post

Spartacus wrote:
Wisconsin Carry Inc. has stated preliminary plans to have a board meeting sometime in March and a members rally in a Madison hotel culminating with an OC walk down State Street.

I'm sure you will hear more about this as the board of WCI firms it up...
I'm only half an hour from Madison and will definitely be there when an OC rally occurs.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Flipper wrote:
About the only parking spaces available in downtown Madison (State St) are in parking structures. These are owned by the city, county or at least paid for by the state. Are they a government "building?"
If it is a structure which is owned or leased by the State or a political subdivision of the State, I would be cautious. There is no allowance for "unloaded and encased" in a public building.

oldschool

imported post

OC at west side Kohl's best buy and southtown walmart today.
A few people seem to notice but not care. Salesmen at Best buy talked with me for about 10 min about mp3 players I'm sure he saw but didn't say anything or seem nervous.

Stopped at Woodmens in Janesville on my way home nothing much happened there

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Flipper wrote:
About the only parking spaces available in downtown Madison (State St) are in parking structures. These are owned by the city, county or at least paid for by the state. Are they a government "building?"
If it is a structure which is owned or leased by the State or a political subdivision of the State, I would be cautious. There is no allowance for "unloaded and encased" in a public building.
It's a government-owned structure, but I would not consider it a building. A bridge and a dam are also structures, but not buildings. Nothing prohibits you from having a firearm on a dam or bridge. Buildings have roofs, most parking ramps have only floors stacked on floors, but no roof.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Canard wrote:
The State considers parking structures buildings. Based on my professional knowledge the State requires plans for new parking structures be reviewed by building officials just like any other building. The design of parking structures is governed by the Wisconsin Commercial Building Code so I would define a parking structure as a building. I am not a layer, donut maker and anything else worth getting legal advise from.
When I worked for the state in a position that required making determinations as to how one would classify construction projects we classified parking ramps as examples of "heavy construction" not "building construction." The rule of thumb was precisely the one I mentioned earlier... a building has a "roof." I'm sure there are plenty of "heavy construction projects" that must meet code and review by engineers, dams, water towers, antennas, etc.... but those are not buildings either.

Canard

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Canard wrote:
The State considers parking structures buildings. Based on my professional knowledge the State requires plans for new parking structures be reviewed by building officials just like any other building. The design of parking structures is governed by the Wisconsin Commercial Building Code so I would define a parking structure as a building. I am not a layer, donut maker and anything else worth getting legal advise from.
When I worked for the state in a position that required making determinations as to how one would classify construction projects we classified parking ramps as examples of "heavy construction" not "building construction."  The rule of thumb was precisely the one I mentioned earlier... a building has a "roof."  I'm sure there are plenty of "heavy construction projects" that must meet code and review by engineers, dams, water towers, antennas, etc.... but those are not buildings either.
Given the level of uncertainty here I would contact the Attorney General's office for a definition of a building to make sure we are being completely legal. A friend of mine had done that, and I was hoping to post it here but he cannot find it. According to him the definition provided by the AG would have certainly included a parking structure but I can't know for sure.