• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with a drop leg...

Wooley

imported post

Those of you that know me know I prefer to CC but love to OC. As I understand it, it doesn't matter if I OC on the hip or a shoulder holster or some crazy rig that places it in a head-worn holster...

My question is, how do you think a drop leg holster would do in public? Would that be a bit much? I mean, to us OC is OC. If its on my leg it just seems as though it might be seen as more, gasp, intimidating.

Thoughts anyone? LEO, how would other LEOs take this?

Oh, and be carefulof my 9 o'clockwith that head mounted holster...:cool:

lax

imported post

Guy walks into Moe's. Camo pants and T-shirt. He has a Serpa thigh holster. The faded T-shirt has a SERT (Sheriff Emergency Response Team) logo. No one seemed to notice, point, or care. Now was it because of the faded t-shirt? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Wooley

imported post

Thats what I was thinking, more attention.

Maybe I should try it. What the worst that could happen? The PD shows up and takes away my birthday since they can't charge me with anything?

They can't charge me with anything for that....right?

LEO 229

imported post

I do not see anyone use this style holster unless you are going to maybe be getting dirty.

There is some chat and state code that talks about the gun being disguised.

For me... if you have a full coverage holster on your leg.. I would assume it contains a gun. It is out in the open and the butt of the gun showing and IMO does not disguise the gun.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

It seems to be a trend I've noticed, that open carry rigs other than belt holsters seem to get more attention, sometimes with negative results. But I'd say go for it, however I wish a drop leg holster existed that didn't look so tactical, i.e. looks good with dress casual clothes, just my personal taste.

Tomahawk

imported post

Wooley wrote:

You might wanna lose the fishnets, Wooley, although nice job shaving if I do say so myself.

A guy came to a recent VCDL meeting wearing a thigh holster with cargo pants and an NRA hat. I didn't see him get into any trouble that evening, and that was in a police station. So I don't see where it'd be prohibited.

I would discourage it based soley on how it looks, which I like not, but that's just my opinion. I like to dress conservatively with jeans or khakis and carry on my belt, because I'm not out to get attention, but whatever floats your boat.

Wooley

imported post

I hear ya. Its not about how it looks though...its just that its the smoothest draw and lately I just don't have a practical place to wear it.

Maybe that lack of practicality is an answer in itself...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wooley wrote:
SNIP My question is, how do you think a drop leg holster would do in public?
I try to be an ambassador for 2Awhen I OC.

One aspect of this is that I try to make it as easy as possible forany nervous-nellies to get over a momentaryfright or flinchat the sight of a sidearm.

I recommend a belt holster, inside or outside the waistband. Its conventional. Everybody has been exposed to the concept from TVif nothing else.

Tomahawk

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Wooley wrote:
I use the BLACKHAWK Serpa...there is no confusion as to whats in it.

http://www.rstacticalgear.com/prod_images_large/Tac%20Serpa_LG.jpg
What's the purpose of such a holster anyway? Why not just clip it to your belt? Is it for speed or what?
It's theoretically a quicker draw, since it's below your jacket already, and your hand naturally hangs there. Look at the holsters used in wild west shooting, they tend to hang low also.

Wooley

imported post

Speed, sorta...I guess its a better draw. It places the weapon lower and you set it up so its just higher than your hand would naturally hang down at your side.

Now, in a more tactical and armed to the teeth rolling heavy situation I wear it to make access easier. Its hard toget toanything on your belt when you're wearing soft armor and chicken plates with all your gear on it. Riding with 7 or 8 of your M4 mags, a blowout kit, your pistol mags, maybe a radio, a couple smokes on your chest and under your armsmakes it hard to reach a pistol while seated, even in a full size SUV.

Neplusultra

imported post

Wooley wrote:
Speed, sorta...I guess its a better draw. It places the weapon lower and you set it up so its just higher than your hand would naturally hang down at your side.

Now, in a more tactical and armed to the teeth rolling heavy situation I wear it to make access easier. Its hard toget toanything on your belt when you're wearing soft armor and chicken plates with all your gear on it. Riding with 7 or 8 of your M4 mags, a blowout kit, your pistol mags, maybe a radio, a couple smokes on your chest and under your armsmakes it hard to reach a pistol while seated, even in a full size SUV.
That makes sense.

Wooley

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Wooley wrote:
SNIP My question is, how do you think a drop leg holster would do in public?
I try to be an ambassador for 2Awhen I OC.

One aspect of this is that I try to make it as easy as possible forany nervous-nellies to get over a momentaryfright or flinchat the sight of a sidearm.

I recommend a belt holster, inside or outside the waistband. Its conventional. Everybody has been exposed to the concept from TVif nothing else.

You make a really good point Cit. We don't want to scare anyone or be "in your face."

If I may though, the antis use the scared card as a reason we shouldn't open carry at all. I know, I'm reaching on this one and I recognize the "levels" of scaryness!

The anti gunners don't want us to OC at all becuase its intimidating or unnerving. Some pro gunners wouldn't want me to wear a drop leg becuase its too intimidating...see where I'm going here? Not trying to be rude either guys, just curious what your thoughts on that are....get some convo going.

Tomahawk

imported post

Wooley wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Wooley wrote:
SNIP...makes it hard to reach a pistol while seated, even in a full size SUV.
This is what ring-mounts are made for. :)

Ring mounts?

You're gonna tell me what they are and I'm gonna feel like an idiot becuase I should have known!

LOL you talk about all this "heavy rollin'" stuff and you have to ask what a ring mount is! It's the thing on top of this HMMV that allows the gunner to stand up in the hatch and move the gun around him.
m1025.gif