• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in New London First LE encounter

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
I'll disagree Clay. First, CC wouldn't make a difference at all. I carry a .45 and in the hot summer, it would be impossible to carry my .45 without printing. .
Nyaah. CCW only South Carolinians CCW year around without their weapons visible that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing. My CCW is the same size as a .45 USPc and I never felt conspicuous.

BROKENSPROKET

i say that because despite it being legal i still think people have a tendency to wig out a bit when someone is carrying a firearm and dose not appear to supposed to be doing so I.E. LE security guards and people who work on a brinks style truck. someone called the police on the poster why else did they meet him at the local eatery. which means someone wigged out because a man doing the most harmless of all activity's of walking his dog called the police on him simply because that man had a gun on him. apparently people seem to think that someone carrying a gun in plain sight is up to no good. no matter what he is going the guy could probably be saving a baby but if he had a gun on him they probably would make him out to be a bad guy.

Without even looking at your post count, I can tell you are new here. And I can tell you don't OC. IF you did, your assumptions would be found to be not true.

M

McX

buying a pack of smokes would warrant wigging? grocery shopping would warrant wigging? pumping gas would warrant wigging? drinking coffee at a cafe would warrant wigging?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
buying a pack of smokes would warrant wigging? grocery shopping would warrant wigging? pumping gas would warrant wigging? drinking coffee at a cafe would warrant wigging?

What does "wigging" mean? I'm not familiar with the term.

(But, please don't tell Grapeshot I said so. :))

Clay

Without even looking at your post count, I can tell you are new here. And I can tell you don't OC. IF you did, your assumptions would be found to be not true.

you are correct on both counts. i was sent to this website by someone on AR15.com and i decided to join so i could get more information on this topic. I personally can not OC because of the wishes of my wife. she feels that even though its legal its still a good way to get hassled by people be it store workers or LEOs so she has asked me seeing as how you cant afford a disorderly conduct fine i should not OC (unless at the gun range) its my personal opinion that most of the public is unaware or the carry laws in the state and this is just a vast generalization people see people with guns and they immediately assume that they are up to no good. and i wrong with that generalization yes i am and yet I'm also right thats what generalizations are for. so until i can prove to myself otherwise by informing myself about OC i will not be practiceing it.

Wigging out def. Displaying irrational behavior usually brought on by stress and/or external pressures.

paul@paul-fisher.com

you are correct on both counts. i was sent to this website by someone on AR15.com and i decided to join so i could get more information on this topic. I personally can not OC because of the wishes of my wife. she feels that even though its legal its still a good way to get hassled by people be it store workers or LEOs so she has asked me seeing as how you cant afford a disorderly conduct fine i should not OC (unless at the gun range) its my personal opinion that most of the public is unaware or the carry laws in the state and this is just a vast generalization people see people with guns and they immediately assume that they are up to no good. and i wrong with that generalization yes i am and yet I'm also right thats what generalizations are for. so until i can prove to myself otherwise by informing myself about OC i will not be practiceing it.

Wigging out def. Displaying irrational behavior usually brought on by stress and/or external pressures.

All valid concerns. What you should do is do your 1st OC with someone experienced. Once that happens, you will see that it is not such a big deal. Where generally do you live? We usually have a get together once a month or so in Racine/Kenosha, I know that there is a get together every Monday morning in the Lacrosse area as well.

Cheyjam

All valid concerns. What you should do is do your 1st OC with someone experienced. Once that happens, you will see that it is not such a big deal. Where generally do you live? We usually have a get together once a month or so in Racine/Kenosha, I know that there is a get together every Monday morning in the Lacrosse area as well.

Long drives from New London, everything good always is though lol.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

I personally can not OC because of the wishes of my wife. ... until i can prove to myself otherwise by informing myself about OC i will not be practiceing it.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. What Clay must do is keep peace with his wife.

Normative and prescriptive statements, characterized by 'would', 'should' and 'could', have no truth value, are not falsifiable and are not scientific (after Popper).

M

McX

being in a moderate household, and having pro views is never easy, there is give and take, my wife prohibits oc around the house, but grants, and acknowledges all the other facets of 2nd amendment rights. no oc around the house, but handgun available for rapid defense. i'll take that compromise.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Here's proof. My girlfriend OC'ing in a crowded grocery store. Not a single "wig-out"

http://www.youtube.com/wisconsincarry

I have other video's also of people OC'ing in public places I just haven't had time to format and upload them to our youtube channel.

The only thing preventing you from exercising your rights is your own fear. People OC in every county in the state. No one has been charged with Disorderly Conduct for OC'ing since the AG memo last April 2009. 1000's of people OC on a weekly basis in Wisconsin. No issue. If people choose not to carry, thats fine with me. If they choose not to carry based on false assumptions and fear thats a shame.

In fact, I've never even heard of someone "wigging out" due to OC'ing.

EVEN PRE-AG MEMO when people called the police on an OC'er they weren't "wigging out" they merely asked if it was legal.

Last edited:
M

McX

that kind of guy would probably have a hissy fit if he thought the prices charged were too much, if you bumped his shopping cart while shopping, if your kid got too close to him. that kind of person is just waiting to unload their hate on someone else. misery loves company.

added on edit; i had this experience; had a obviously hostile guy come into the shop, got into a conversation with him, he mentioned if he felt he was being ripped off, he would sue his own mother (there was my sign), so he TELLS ME what to do on his vehicle- doesn't let me diagnose it. i do it, and it didn't work, then he unloaded on me, i gave him his money back, and told him to hit the door and never come back. he's probably still bitchin about it today!

Last edited:

Clay

being in a moderate household, and having pro views is never easy, there is give and take, my wife prohibits oc around the house, but grants, and acknowledges all the other facets of 2nd amendment rights. no oc around the house, but handgun available for rapid defense. i'll take that compromise.

I think all my wife needs are facts before she really jumps on this. or her own gun that should could carry and we could be like a matching couple. wink wink but seriously all she needs are facts and hard evidence to prove her otherwise and just simply knowing were one should and should not carry(the not carry is bullshit but some store owners may not want firearms on THEIR property)

Here's proof. My girlfriend OC'ing in a crowded grocery store. Not a single "wig-out"

http://www.youtube.com/wisconsincarry

I have other video's also of people OC'ing in public places I just haven't had time to format and upload them to our youtube channel.

The only thing preventing you from exercising your rights is your own fear. People OC in every county in the state. No one has been charged with Disorderly Conduct for OC'ing since the AG memo last April 2009. 1000's of people OC on a weekly basis in Wisconsin. No issue. If people choose not to carry, thats fine with me. If they choose not to carry based on false assumptions and fear thats a shame.

In fact, I've never even heard of someone "wigging out" due to OC'ing.

EVEN PRE-AG MEMO when people called the police on an OC'er they weren't "wigging out" they merely asked if it was legal.

yes no one in the video turned tail ran and screamed bt she did get looks. and we don't know what they were thinking. the guy did look like he did a 180. and it seemed like you were getting more looks then your GF was people were more worried about the guy with the camera then the lady with the pink gun. and as long as your filming OCers you should film one going to a bank.

as far as the OCing get together in Racine and lacrosse all 3-4 hour drives from me.

Cheyjam

Clay could you check your messages and get back to me lol, almost positive we know eachother, could be wrong though.

Clay

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
yes no one in the video turned tail ran and screamed bt she did get looks. and we don't know what they were thinking. the guy did look like he did a 180. and it seemed like you were getting more looks then your GF was people were more worried about the guy with the camera then the lady with the pink gun. and as long as your filming OCers you should film one going to a bank.

I think the camera was pretty discreet, it was a small digital still camera in video mode that I held on the handle of the cart.

Also, I was OC'ing at the same time. As for people looking at me. I'm 6'02" 297 pound bodybuilder. People always look at me.

Having said that, I never said people won't look and I never said people won't notice. I said no one "wig's out" which was your original assertion.

As for OC'ing in a bank. No problem... I do it every week. Many members do as well.