• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the cold, with a coat, without a concealed permit...

nova

imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
If the holster hangs below the bottom of your coat is that legal for oc with no permit?
I wouldn't count on it. They would probably try something like "the gun was hidden from common observation" since the coat covered the top of the gun and the holster covered the bottom or some bs like that. I wouldn't want to be a test case though.

Tomahawk

imported post

nova wrote:
Sea_Chicken wrote:
If the holster hangs below the bottom of your coat is that legal for oc with no permit?
I wouldn't count on it. They would probably try something like "the gun was hidden from common observation" since the coat covered the top of the gun and the holster covered the bottom or some bs like that. I wouldn't want to be a test case though.
Agreed. If you're only going to show part of the pistol, make sure it's the top part that's not inside the holster, the butt and back of the slide. q.v. "the Virginia Tuck"

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:

I have knowledge through a friend about a case in Virginia similar to this. The defendant was charged with carrying a concealed weapon without a permit (this was before the '95 "shall issue" law was passed). The judge questioned the arresting officer as to whether or not at any time was a weapon visible. The officer had to answer in the negative since all he ever saw was a holster (must have had a closed bottom so the barrel would show). The judge dismissed the case on the grounds that there wasn't sufficient cause for the arrest in the first place.