• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing to pick up my CPL?

just_a_car

imported post

quentusrex wrote:
I don't know if you have picked up your CPL yet, but there is a hitch if you want to OC to pick it up. You can't have the loaded gun while in your car. So either take public transit, or use the trunk...
If you do not have your CPL yet, DO NOT do either of those with a loaded firearm; it is still illegal. You must have your CPL for the transit with a loaded pistol, just as if you were in your own car, as the law says "any vehicle" and that also includes in the trunk. It must be unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper if you are in a vehicle without a CPL.

quentusrex

imported post

Thanks for that clearification. I wasn't aware that the public transit was considered the same as your own personal vehicle when it came to OC'ing.

What I meant by the trunk was store it unloaded with the ammo and pistol in separate cases. This is the only legal way to transport a pistol in a car without a CPL.

just_a_car

imported post

quentusrex wrote:
Thanks for that clearification. I wasn't aware that the public transit was considered the same as your own personal vehicle when it came to OC'ing.

What I meant by the trunk was store it unloaded with the ammo and pistol in separate cases. This is the only legal way to transport a pistol in a car without a CPL.
Again, you're mistaken.

You can have a loaded magazine within a closed opaque case with an unloaded (no round in chamber) pistol sitting on your lap or in the seat next to you. As soon as the loaded magazine is placed into the magazine well, the firearm is considered loaded.

Please be careful with how you throw about knowledge unless you've read and understand the RCW.

Edit: IANAL.

XD45PlusP

imported post

underthebridge wrote:
Just noticed that I was posting in the OCing to pick up my CPL thread. These are done only at the Seattle Justice Center downtown. I suspect you will find the same security measures in place that you would find at the King County Courthouse. I can still do the precinct, but it won't really be applicable to the topic.
The Seattle Justice Center contains both the Seattle Police Headquarters and the Seattle Municipal Court.

I can confirm that the entrance to the Seattle Police Headquarters, on the corner of 5th Avenue and Cherry Street is posted NO WEAPONS, or FIREARMS. The lobby is not a secured area, it is a common area, but there is an officer sitting and watching the entrance to the secured area adjoining, within the non-secured lobby area.