• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

(Off Topic) Good Hunting Rifle

JackOR

Whats going on Oregon..I'm relatively new to Bend (from California) and looking to get into hunting for the first time. I want a decent rifle that can take down Deer and handle Elk - I've been into a couple local stores but none are much help.

I want something with a decent mag, not one of these 4 shot things, I've had experience with the M4 & M16 through the military, but I've been told those aren't good to hunt with...I would rather stay with semi auto then a bolt action

Thanks in advance

Cremator75

I have an AR-15, but it's more for fun, although it could easily take down a deer or even an elk with great shot placement. My dedicated hunting rifle however is a blot action Winchester Model 70 in .270 WSM. Some say it's too small for elk, but trust me, the WSM gives the .270 plenty extra ft. lbs. for elk. I carry a sidearm with some 300+ grain .45 colt rounds for backup should I need it, so a high cap AR-15 does not seem necessary while out hunting.

I don't think you can go hunting with a 30 round mag. There is a limit (can't remember the number) to how many rounds your gun can have in it while hunting.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
Remington and others make AR-type rifles "designed" for hunting, i.e. chambered in some sort of .30 caliber round and painted in some ridiculous camo pattern. However, one usually isn't allowed to hunt with a magazine capacity greater than 4 or 5. If I was going to hunt with a semi-auto, it would probably be a Remington 750 Woodmaster.

Aside from my .22s, my hunting rifles are all bolt-action. My experience is that bolt action platforms are generally capable of greater precision over a wider range of distances and are more reliable with a wide range of loadings. Many will disagree with me.

As far as caliber or chambering, good luck! If you search the interwebs you will find the caliber argument rehashed exactly a gazillion times. The reason being that it is sort of a fun argument, and that there are many, many rounds that can do the same job very effectively. A person usually becomes a very staunch supporter of the round that their new rifle is chambered for, or of the round that their father favored. They then rapidly develop a prejudice against any round of a smaller caliber, claiming they are too small or underpowered for deer and are more suitable for killing wounded sparrows. Any round of a larger caliber or case volume is overpowered, unnecessary, overpriced, will ruin meat, will make you flinch, and so on.

Animals are not magic, deer and elk are no exception. Bullet design and shot placement are more important than what is on the headstamp.

HOWEVER, you really should get a .270 Win :)

Last edited:

We-the-People

You are limited to 5 round magazines in Oregon for most (maybe all) hunting purposes.

I have a Remington R25 (AR 10) in 308 caliber. If you're comfortable with the M16/M4 platform you will take to the R25 (or any other AR10) with ease (18 years in the Corps, they're comfortable). But they're not a 5.56 weapon so there is a significant weight penalty. It does however, have a full floated barrel and factory "Mossy Oak" camoflage. Mine also weighs a ton because it has a bipod and 6-19 lighted mil dot scope. It will take any critter in the Americas.
Book specs: 20" free floated barrel, calibers 243 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, 308 Win (7.62x51 NATO works as well). Single stage 4#2oz trigger, 4 round factory mag (20 rounders available online), Picatinney flat top, Picatinney topped gas block, Overall length 39.75", Length of trigger pull 14.125", Wt 8.75# (that's just the bare rilfe), MSRP 1567 (but you canget one cheaper).

This rifle is NICE but it is HEAVY....wanna hump it through the woods all day?

My Carbon 15 (Bushmaster AR15 with Carbon Fiber upper/lower and collapsible stock) weighs in at just 6 pounds 9 ounces WITH 25 rounds in a 30 round mag and a red dot scope. (the R25 maxed my small kitchen scale so I can't give you an "all up" weight on it).

The AR15 (5.56/223) is legal for deer but I'm not sure about Elk. I certainly wouldn't use it for Elk and consider the 5.56 to be inferior for deer as well while it will work (my grandfather used to take them routinely with a 22 long rifle and damn good shot placement). One thing to note is that the heavier bullets available for the 5.56/223 (if you handload) won't fit in the magazine and have to be hand fed so the bigger .224 bullets negate your having a semi-auto.

What's nice about having the AR10 and the Carbon 15 is that the AR10 is kind of like a weight machine for the AR15..... The 15 really feels like it's floating after you handle the 10 for a while.

What I use for deer is a Winchester 1894 lever action in 45 Colt with a 250 grain lead flat round nose or Hornaday 250 grain XTP jacketed hollow point. I hunt where shots are 50-100 yards max though. I'm sure it's capable of taking Elk but I wouldn't use it for that purpose due to the massive drop of the bullet and rapidly disappearing energy beyond 100 yards.

My long range and Elk rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard bolt action in 30-06. This will also take Elk (or anything else you want. I call it my "AT&T" rifle as it will reach out to touch something.

The R25 is in the 12-1400 range new.
The Carbon 15 was 599 (609 out the door) with background check, 2 30 round mags, case, and a Busnell red dot scope (I think their normal was 799)
I think the Vanguard was around 500, just the rifle.

There are a lot of rifles that will work well for deer and Elk. A lot depends on whether you are wanting a rifle that will double as a self defense system, whether there is any chance of going back to Kali (the AR platforms are mostly verboten in Kali), your budget, and of course personal preference.